could Earth adapt Traveler's energy weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
    Its definately a possibility that the Asgard could help us miniturize components to make shielded missiles but its still going to make the missiles more complicated to produce.
    I dont think its a possibility since the asgard we know are all dead. Its doubtful the pegasus asgard will help us because we're enemies with them now.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
      I dont think its a possibility since the asgard we know are all dead. Its doubtful the pegasus asgard will help us because we're enemies with them now.
      I ment the Asgard data base.
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

The matter conversion technology may not even be in use by Earth on a large scale. I don't think its really worth it now we have the beams.
        It'd be a bit silly if after like a year or two of having the matter conversion tech it wasn't at least used on a small scale.
        Area 51 could just use one device to produce loads of missiles, or components.
        Sometimes the beams can be a bit too much and like I said before the main use of missiles now is as a back-up or even in between weapon.

In the siege the Deadalus lasted about a minute and it wasn't taking fire from the entire fleet. There were no more than 3-4 Hives + several cruisers firing on it at any one time. The Wraith were also trying to capture the Deadalus not destroy it. In 'The Last Man' 3 Hives took out the Asgard beam weapons and had it ready to explode in a couple of minutes tops. Twice as strong? Thats never been said.
        I do agree it's best to avoid situations when the ships are too heavily outnumbered, but it just makes good sense to have a back-up of some kind, especially if the power conduits for the APBWs run through critical systems and can get taken offline.
        I personally think it was a bit silly that the APBWs did go offline, along with the hyperdrive engines, especially when the shields were still absorbing some of the Wraith's weapons fire, Earth needs to do something about that.
        They were only up against 3 Hives and didn't even have Cruisers with them.
        Regarding the shield strength thing we've been discussing it in the Tweaking the asgard plasma beam weapons thread, if you recall Rodney said that he had found a way to double the Daedalus's shield strength in the episode Tao Of Rodney.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
          It'd be a bit silly if after like a year or two of having the matter conversion tech it wasn't at least used on a small scale.
          Area 51 could just use one device to produce loads of missiles, or components.
          Sometimes the beams can be a bit too much and like I said before the main use of missiles now is as a back-up or even in between weapon.
          We don't do a lot of things we could do in the SG universe.

I do agree it's best to avoid situations when the ships are too heavily outnumbered, but it just makes good sense to have a back-up of some kind, especially if the power conduits for the APBWs run through critical systems and can get taken offline.
          I personally think it was a bit silly that the APBWs did go offline, along with the hyperdrive engines, especially when the shields were still absorbing some of the Wraith's weapons fire, Earth needs to do something about that.
          They were only up against 3 Hives and didn't even have Cruisers with them.
          Regarding the shield strength thing we've been discussing it in the Tweaking the asgard plasma beam weapons thread, if you recall Rodney said that he had found a way to double the Daedalus's shield strength in the episode Tao Of Rodney.
          I wouldn't say only 3 Hive ships. TBH its about time our ships took a real beating, Hives have a lot of firepower thanks to their size. Having a good back is essential but shielded missiles IMO aren't the way forward.

Rodney said he found a way to increase the strength of the shields, ne never specified by how much.
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

We don't do a lot of things we could do in the SG universe.
            True.

I wouldn't say only 3 Hive ships. TBH its about time our ships took a real beating, Hives have a lot of firepower thanks to their size. Having a good back is essential but shielded missiles IMO aren't the way forward.

Rodney said he found a way to increase the strength of the shields, ne never specified by how much.
            I just meant given that we've got the APBWs and some decent shields we should be able to dispatch 3 Hives.
            I just think it's better to have something physical as a back up, unless they can build energy weapons that don't go offline at crucial moments (eg: being independently powered so you've at least got something when times get bad) and can still do enough damage to your main enemy.

I just checked on the whole shield strength thing and you were right, he doesn't mention how much they're improved, still better shields should make a bit of a difference, although it's never been mentioned that our other ships shields have been improved, unless you count the Odyssey with it's ZPM powering the shield.

Comment

Travelers pistols are the best hand held wepon in sg i mean the can shoot through blast doors we should seriously try and get that tech to replace zats/wraith stunners imagine an smg version and a belt of the little power core things or even a heavy wepon one could seve as a machine gun or a big cannon depending on settings

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

one word PHASERS

Comment

Originally posted by eps200 View Post
                  Travelers pistols are the best hand held wepon in sg i mean the can shoot through blast doors we should seriously try and get that tech to replace zats/wraith stunners imagine an smg version and a belt of the little power core things or even a heavy wepon one could seve as a machine gun or a big cannon depending on settings
                  Along with that we could purchase the blueprints for thier ships as well,they would make a great support vessel to the 304 and could be constructed far more quickly. All we'd have to do is swap the hyperdrive for an Asgard one and equip the thng with beaming transporters.

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
                    Along with that we could purchase the blueprints for thier ships as well,they would make a great support vessel to the 304 and could be constructed far more quickly. All we'd have to do is swap the hyperdrive for an Asgard one and equip the thng with beaming transporters.
                    There ships are old and cobbled together from whatever they can find. I doubt they even have blue prints of a standard model...

Comment

They may be old but they have lasted longer than Prometheus and Korolev combined-plus Larrin said they did'nt have enough materials to make more, not that they lost the plans. Since they are cobbled together from many different techs how hard would it be to sawp some of it out for some Asgard stuff like we did on Prometheus?

Comment

I think we're better off just designing our own support ships if the IOA thinks we need them, perhaps something that looks like the 304s only a fifth of the size.
                        I'd bet that the Traveler ships break down a lot being that they're so old.
                        If we were gonna build smaller ships than a 304 I bet there are better designs in the Asgard knowledge base than the Traveler ships, which will probably last longer than them, hell there's probably a variety of ship specs and blueprints in Atlantis's database that we could copy and would last longer than the Traveler vessels.

Comment

They may be old but they have lasted longer than Prometheus and Korolev combined-plus Larrin said they did'nt have enough materials to make more, not that they lost the plans. Since they are cobbled together from many different techs how hard would it be to sawp some of it out for some Asgard stuff like we did on Prometheus?
                          How do you know the Prometheus and Korolev wouldn't have survived for decades had they not be destroyed?

Also what is the point in buying the blue prints of the ships if we're going to replace all the technology! We'd probably have to redesign sections of the ship to accomodate new technology anyway. The idea is pointless. We could easily build Prometheus style ships and add new tech onto it.

Comment

Traveler ships are more than decades old-look at the manouverability of their ships compared to our own. I was thinking in a short to medium term support role until we've figured out more of the Asgard stuff.

Comment

Traveler ships are more than decades old-look at the manouverability of their ships compared to our own. I was thinking in a short to medium term support role until we've figured out more of the Asgard stuff.
                              Well obviously they're more than decades old...I didn't want to say the Prometheus could probably last many hundreds of years. Either way I don't see why Earth should built ships with the plan of having them around hundreds of years later. If we wanted to build a ship as manueverable as theirs I'm sure we could. We don't need to figure more Asgard stuff out, we have shields, weapons and engines at the very least. More than enough to kick serious butt.

Comment

True we have enough to kick some ass but still not at full potential-Hyperdrives we are fast but not as fast as the asgard (Mainly due to power requirements but I think somewhat also to hull geometry-the Asgard always in recent history built ships with the standard 2 rudders at the back and these could have hyperdrive enhancing properties) Building ships that can last hundreds of years can be useful for extremely long ranged missions like exploring the universe in a big way-Ships you keep closer to home it is sensible to update regularly. All I'm saying is that we could do with more class's of ship and that a generic class of ship is the next step. Look at all the major Milky Way powers-most use Ha'tak yet all we have is a handfull of 304's. The Traveler ships also would be useful as a civilian design used for colonisation and transport efforts. I'm just a bit annoyed since we have 100's of designs we can now use (3 Tauri built and 100's of Asgard designs including Beliskner Class Exploration Cruisers, Jackson Class Science Ships and Oniell Class Battleships) yet we stick with just one design.

Comment

Working...
                                X