No announcement yet.

could Earth adapt Traveler's energy weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

id just tell the ACC to make a midpower Pulsegun for the Deadalus class. seeing as the asgard know the specs damn well [how else could they give it shields, sensors, etc. it was all costum made by the asgard].

Comment

The beams are clearly not the best in 4 galaxies...over 2 shots to take down a Wraith cruiser, compare this to 1 shot skewering a Hive ship (it looked like it could take down 3 in row).

The Asgard would never be able to beat the Wraith. Not enough numbers.

Why build Traveler energy weapons when we have the Asgard beams which are far more powerful? If we want weapons able to cover more firing arc's use Asgard pulse weapons or try and make some Ancient ones.
      Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

buba may i notify that 1 shot wouldve cut it in half. the second to fully blast it apart. and how many dozen times have we seen ships cut in half blowing up?

but i agree that its comparable to blasting a ship in half and blasting a ship to bits and pieces.

and i still dont get why we dont use particle beams to just cut the hives in half?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          buba may i notify that 1 shot wouldve cut it in half. the second to fully blast it apart. and how many dozen times have we seen ships cut in half blowing up?

but i agree that its comparable to blasting a ship in half and blasting a ship to bits and pieces.

and i still dont get why we dont use particle beams to just cut the hives in half?
          You mean the cruiser? That Cruiser took 4 hits in total! Albeit only 2 were ment to kill it. The first hit caused an explosion but didn't shatter the ship, I think what happened was that the first hit weakened the structure of the vessel and the second capitalised on the weakness.

We can't make particle beams as good as the Ancients? The Asgard beams are pretty effective we don't need to try and create a different weapon.

To me it looks like Ancient weapons technology in Pegasus is pretty much perfect for dealing with the Wraith but thats just IMO.
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

If it was perfect for dealing with the wraith then the ancients would have won...we have done better with less technology and far far fewer numbers than the ancinets seemed to have done.
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
              If it was perfect for dealing with the wraith then the ancients would have won...we have done better with less technology and far far fewer numbers than the ancinets seemed to have done.
              Have we really? We've beamed nukes on Hive ships and got them to fight each other. Thats how we've racked up the Hive ship kills. Until we got the beam weapons we couldn't take down Hive ships one on one.

Do you think if we were in the Ancients place at the height of the war we would last anywhere near as long? No is the correct answer. We've fought isolated Hive ships not a unified foe like the Ancients.

The Ancients fought the Wraith for 100 years, they were initially kicking butt until the Wraith got their hands on 3 ZPMs and used them to grow soldiers and possibly ships at accelerated rates.

There's a satellite weapon able to take on 3 Hives + its esocrts possibly more when fully functional, a puddle jumper can inflict serious damage on a Hive ship a million times its volume, Ancient warships can dispatch Hives in seconds...Ancient weapons are incredibly effective against the Wraith. But they couldn't make up for the large numbers the Wraith had during the war.

You can't compare our guerrilla style warfare to the fullscale warfare the Ancients had to employ against the Wraith. If we were going out of our way to prevent Wraith cullings by engaging Wraith fleets do you think we'd have any ships left? Even the Odyssesy would get overwhelmed eventually. We couldn't hope to defend human worlds or various off world installations like the Ancients presumably did during the war. Especially when we had inferior technology e.g. no beam wepaons. Now we have the beam weapons we could put up a fight but nether the less we would still lose our ships pretty fast against groups of more than 1 or 2 Hives.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Ads View Post
                Ok, Railguns are ineffective against most shields and generally dont do much damage what so ever, however as seen in BAMSR and No Mans Land they can cause serious damage to ships without or not using shield technology, They need to stay really as they can cause alot of damage and if combines with warheads they are a serious weapon.

Travellers energy weapons are ok but they did not do much damage in BAMSR, having said that they may be of some use maybe have some sort of secondary option to use them

Asgard Beams are our main offensive weapon probably the strongest beam in 4 galaxys at present, with this our 304's one on one with any opponent has a huge advantage
                A rail gun strike has the equivalent power of a missile strike so putting a warhead on the round would just be redundant and dissipate the kinetic energy of the strike, and rail gun projectiles have so much electricity running through them the warheads detonator would get fried.

Comment

Originally posted by ckwongau View Post
                  Traveler are advance human civilization, they been living in FTL ships for generations, they have powerful energy weapon, like Ronon's gun and the energy weapon on their ship.

In episode "Lost Tribe", their ship were not that big ,and not in best of shape due to shortage of spare parts, yet they were able to defeat the Asgard ship.
                  One shot of travelership's energy weapon were able to destory the Ancient base from orbit.

i wonder if we can replace some of the 304's rail gun with the traveler weapon, it is small consider the size of Traveler's ship ,and if we can't reverse engineer the design, then we can buy it from them.Cansider they have shortage of sparepart and many other thing , i think Earth can trade a lot of stuff with them.

I would replace 3 or more railgun for one Traveler energy weaponon 304.

all the travelers weapons are is blasts of plasma and we already have that technology. remember, the ASGARD. before they invented the asgard beam weapons, which are quite possibly the most advanced weapon in current exsistence,they used blasts of plasma type weapons and since they are smarter than the travelers theirs is proboly better so if we ever wanted those kind of weapons, then we can use the asgard design.

oh and one type of main energy weapon per ship is more than eneough. it would be like having 2 primary werapons and thats unnessisary. plus in order to accomodate more energy weapons, it would require more power that our ships currently generate.

plus those kinds of weapons would be a step back in weapons technology anyway.
                  STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

I reckon that we should replace the main railguns with Traveler cannons

4-6 Asgard Plasma Beam Weapons (Heavy's)
                    4 odd Traveler Cannons (Mediums)
                    However many railguns (Point Defence)
                    Loose some of the missile tubes (Remote weapons)

What are the missile batteries now that we have energy weapons????
                    The Traveler cannons would be a great addition cuz they would back-up the Beam weapons(Look how they failed the Daedy when it attacked Michaels ship and then the Pheonix) They would propably be a helluva lot easier to repair too!!!

Comment

The Travelers weapons didn't seem to be that effective in BAMSR, The Lost Tribe's small ship shields probably weren't all that strong, I bet with one APBW shot we could take 'em out, probably even with missiles and rail guns.
                      Using a copy of the Traveler's weapon against the Wraith probably wouldn't do that much damage, even against a lone Cruiser, if we're gonna stick with rail guns as point defense weapons and we've got the APBWs, maybe they should just shield their missiles so they can't be shot down by the Wraith or any other enemy and use them as a back-up like they already do (not the shield part as I know they currently don't have shielded missiles).
                      Even if each missile can only take like 5-10 shots from the Wraith's energy weapons they'd still make it to their target, a small Naqueda power source and shield generator could do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                        The Travelers weapons didn't seem to be that effective in BAMSR, The Lost Tribe's small ship shields probably weren't all that strong, I bet with one APBW shot we could take 'em out, probably even with missiles and rail guns.
                        Using a copy of the Traveler's weapon against the Wraith probably wouldn't do that much damage, even against a lone Cruiser, if we're gonna stick with rail guns as point defense weapons and we've got the APBWs, maybe they should just shield their missiles so they can't be shot down by the Wraith or any other enemy and use them as a back-up like they already do (not the shield part as I know they currently don't have shielded missiles).
                        Even if each missile can only take like 5-10 shots from the Wraith's energy weapons they'd still make it to their target, a small Naqueda power source and shield generator could do the job.
                        But then you'd end up with massive missiles. Its not economical to shield missiles etc...our plasma beams are good enough to get the job done. We just need to avoid groups of more than a couple of Hive ships so we don't get spanking like in 'The Last Man'.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                          But then you'd end up with massive missiles. Its not economical to shield missiles etc...our plasma beams are good enough to get the job done. We just need to avoid groups of more than a couple of Hive ships so we don't get spanking like in 'The Last Man'.
                          They don't necessarily have to be any different in size to what they currently are.
                          I'm sure the Asgard knowledge base has some compact but powerful energy generators, shields and even engines, with that tech we may even be able to make smaller maneuverable projectiles and fit more on board our ships.
                          You never know when the Wraith may try to ambush our ships, like they did with the Ancients, it wouldn't take much for a group of Wraith to do that, you know, just have one or two Hives pretend to be culling a world to lure one of our ships out then signal another 2 or 3 Hives and 15 Cruiser support ships, that's a lot of fire power even if we can take out a couple of Hives and some Cruisers with the APBWs.

Comment

They don't necessarily have to be any different in size to what they currently are.
                            I'm sure the Asgard knowledge base has some compact but powerful energy generators, shields and even engines, with that tech we may even be able to make smaller maneuverable projectiles and fit more on board our ships.
                            You never know when the Wraith may try to ambush our ships, like they did with the Ancients, it wouldn't take much for a group of Wraith to do that, you know, just have one or two Hives pretend to be culling a world to lure one of our ships out then signal another 2 or 3 Hives and 15 Cruiser support ships, that's a lot of fire power even if we can take out a couple of Hives and some Cruisers with the APBWs.
                            Its definately a possibility that the Asgard could help us miniturize components to make shielded missiles but its still going to make the missiles more complicated to produce.

If the amount of Wraith ships you described attack one of our ships the battle would be over in seconds, the extra missiles wouldn't make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                              Its definately a possibility that the Asgard could help us miniturize components to make shielded missiles but its still going to make the missiles more complicated to produce.

If the amount of Wraith ships you described attack one of our ships the battle would be over in seconds, the extra missiles wouldn't make a difference.
                              Perhaps slightly but it's not something I think we couldn't handle and in time it could be a standard thing that's incorporated in our projectiles.
                              Although if the matter conversion tech was used then components, even whole missiles could be made in a very short space of time with relative ease.

In the Siege part 3 the Daedalus lasted for a few minutes before it had to retreat, our shields are supposedly twice as strong now, if the crew of the ship knew they were going to engage a few Hives they'd at least be ready with their shields up the moment they came out of hyperspace, so I think they'd have enough time to fire off a fair few missiles.
                              I certainly think having a back-up weapon to the APBWs that's certain to damage the enemy could make a major difference, maybe even save the ship and it's crew, buying them time to get into hyperspace provided the engines don't get taken out.

Comment

Perhaps slightly but it's not something I think we couldn't handle and in time it could be a standard thing that's incorporated in our projectiles.
                                Although if the matter conversion tech was used then components, even whole missiles could be made in a very short space of time with relative ease.
                                The matter conversion technology may not even be in use by Earth on a large scale. I don't think its really worth it now we have the beams.

In the Siege part 3 the Daedalus lasted for a few minutes before it had to retreat, our shields are supposedly twice as strong now, if the crew of the ship knew they were going to engage a few Hives they'd at least be ready with their shields up the moment they came out of hyperspace, so I think they'd have enough time to fire off a fair few missiles.
                                I certainly think having a back-up weapon to the APBWs that's certain to damage the enemy could make a major difference, maybe even save the ship and it's crew, buying them time to get into hyperspace provided the engines don't get taken out.
                                In the siege the Deadalus lasted about a minute and it wasn't taking fire from the entire fleet. There were no more than 3-4 Hives + several cruisers firing on it at any one time. The Wraith were also trying to capture the Deadalus not destroy it. In 'The Last Man' 3 Hives took out the Asgard beam weapons and had it ready to explode in a couple of minutes tops. Twice as strong? Thats never been said.

Comment

Working...
                                X