This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
    theres nothing drastically different about the Ori shields other than that it had a huge power source.

The beam weapons cause more damage the more they hit. Basically they drain the shields to a point they flutuate, which is what happend in the battle at Camelot. We just didnt have enough power to take advantage of it.

When we got the upgrades, it was like supercharging a super engine with NOS.

It had the normal power source, the ZPM, and the asgard power core. Which is powerful.

So whos to say the beams will just hit the Hive ships like normal canons will and cause the same amount of damage if not more?

Their is no power core. There is a computer core with a power scource but no power core. The only asgard powerscource we know of is the ion generators and they are too big to fit in the odyssey.
    sigpic

Comment

See, the reason I don't like the idea that the Asgard beams weapons are desgined specifically for Ori shields is because of how well they cut through the Ori hull as well. If they were really just some sort of weapon meant to disrupt Ori shields, then they would have been relatively worthless against the Hull right? Well, not only do they slice through it even more effectively than a needle into skin(seriously, the most flawless "cut through" of a stargate hull to date), but they also cause these ENORMOUS explosions as they pass through. That leads me to believe that they are just straight up very powerful and very advanced.

I still think that the Ancient Satelite weapon will outdue it shot for shot, but the Satelite weapon is also the size of a Ha'tak and takes time to charge, all that negative stuff. It DID cut a hive right in half though, so that speaks a lot for it.
      www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
        See, the reason I don't like the idea that the Asgard beams weapons are desgined specifically for Ori shields is because of how well they cut through the Ori hull as well. If they were really just some sort of weapon meant to disrupt Ori shields, then they would have been relatively worthless against the Hull right? Well, not only do they slice through it even more effectively than a needle into skin(seriously, the most flawless "cut through" of a stargate hull to date), but they also cause these ENORMOUS explosions as they pass through. That leads me to believe that they are just straight up very powerful and very advanced.

I still think that the Ancient Satelite weapon will outdue it shot for shot, but the Satelite weapon is also the size of a Ha'tak and takes time to charge, all that negative stuff. It DID cut a hive right in half though, so that speaks a lot for it.
        Maybe, but think of it this way: shields and hulls are different. The weapon could have been primarily designed to drain Ori shields, and the good-vs.-hull was just a lucky side effect.

They'd probably still do well against other shields, but I don't think we'll see the "insta-shield-death" on other ships like we do with Ori ones.

Why? Because, COME ON that'd simply be WAY too cheap for us to have the uber-weapon like that. It would completely ruin the show. Us NOT winning every fight would be a virtual plot hole, after all.

As for why the Asgard HAVE to have made the mjust for the Ori: It doesn't make sense for them to, in a year, go from weapons that are ineffective versus Ori shields to suddenly have the doomsday weapon that can kill anything. Unless they were made specifically to deal with Ori ships, it just seems impossible to me that they could have advanced their weapons THAT much.

We know that they've been steadily building better weapons druing their war with the Replicators, but we've seen little increase in damage so far. And that was over a span of, what, 8 years? But now, in ONE, their weapons tech becomes THAT good? I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          Maybe, but think of it this way: shields and hulls are different. The weapon could have been primarily designed to drain Ori shields, and the good-vs.-hull was just a lucky side effect.

They'd probably still do well against other shields, but I don't think we'll see the "insta-shield-death" on other ships like we do with Ori ones.

Why? Because, COME ON that'd simply be WAY too cheap for us to have the uber-weapon like that. It would completely ruin the show. Us NOT winning every fight would be a virtual plot hole, after all.

As for why the Asgard HAVE to have made the mjust for the Ori: It doesn't make sense for them to, in a year, go from weapons that are ineffective versus Ori shields to suddenly have the doomsday weapon that can kill anything. Unless they were made specifically to deal with Ori ships, it just seems impossible to me that they could have advanced their weapons THAT much.

We know that they've been steadily building better weapons druing their war with the Replicators, but we've seen little increase in damage so far. And that was over a span of, what, 8 years? But now, in ONE, their weapons tech becomes THAT good? I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.
          I completely agree. Having a weapon that powerful even on one ship would start to make it boring.

Comment

Jeez I post one little thing about how there are lasers in Stargate, and the whole thread gets into a huge arguement about nukes and graduate schools, I should really just stop posting, I'm causing chaos.
            Last edited by jds1982; 13 July 2007, 12:25 PM.
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post

It only took time to charge because we were powering it with our naq. generator.

For all we know, it can fire off a few bursts before a wraith dart even gets out of the hanger.
              Visit my Website

Comment

I gotta give you guys credit though for staying so mature in your arguements, and not stooping to the level of calling someone a "nut hugger" ( I keep thinking about the face-hugger from Aliens when I hear that), when it was a bit obvious that someone was, to use his own term, "hugging the nuts" of the Asgard upgraded Oddysey.
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

The Asgard upgrades on the Odyssey while powerful are not invincible. The new beam weapons while powerful are slow and relatively short ranged. The Odyssey was in point blank range each time it destroyed an Ori ship. The opens the possibility of the weapons power decreasing over range. That along the slow speed of the beam that allows for evasive maneuvers plus the fact it still took several shots the destroy the Ori Motherships proves it is not a superweapon of any kind.
                  sigpic
                  "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    I do not believe it is a coincidence (or bi-product) that the Odyssey's weapons were able to penetrate through the Ori shields to summarily destroy its hull composition in seconds. Whether or not the weapons were modified to deal with the Ori - the Asgard weapons are powerful. Also, as Wraith Boy suggested a while ago using semantics, the Ori shields had "flucuations", showing no signs of total shield failure, so I do not think there was any draining perse of the shields.

You are overlooking something, Thor commented in 'Unending': "I have been working on this for the better part of a year, Colonel Carter." That would suggest the Asguard already had plans for installing new updates on the 304 apart from the holographic representation Thor was describing to Carter; it was simply the matter of retrofitting.

Also, seeing how the Replicators were self-replicating, adaptable creatures, it is not much of a stretch to believe the Asguard would have a difficult time defeating them, adding, the Replicators assimilated the vast majority of the Asguard technology which further complicated their situation regardless of whether they built prototypes like the O'neil.
                    Last edited by randy23; 13 July 2007, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by randy23 View Post
                      I do not believe it is a coincidence (or bi-product) that the Odyssey's weapons were able to penetrate through the Ori shields to summarily destroy its hull composition in seconds. Whether or not the weapons were modified to deal with the Ori - the Asgard's weapons are powerful. Also, as Wraith Boy suggested a while ago using semantics, the Ori shields had "flucuations", showing no signs of total shield failure, so I do not think there was any draining perse of the shields.
                      The Asgard beams seem to be a sustained version of their original pulse weapons, so instead of taking multiple hits fractions of seconds apart, in volleys, you take the damage of multiple volleys all condensed into one beam. But that way they do become some what shield based, because doing that would be a great way to drain shields but, when attacking the hull its weapons fire isn't spread out. It took 5 additional hits to the hull to destroy the second Ori mother ship, in the first battle we hit their rear engines which probably did the majority of the explosion.
                      Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

2ndgenerationalteran, good points. Now looking back with hindsight, the fluctuations seen on the Ori shields might have been the ship's power source recharging from the the loss it incurred from the Odyssey, therefore, "fluctuations" would be apt in describing the status of their shields at that particular moment. This seems more plausible when Beau Bridges' character, General Hank Landry, adamantly commanded for more shots to be fired, almost siezing the opportunity when realizing how effective the Asguard beams were.
                        Last edited by randy23; 21 July 2007, 08:48 PM.

Comment

That if very possible.

The closest thing we can compare the new weapons to are probably the La Grange point sattelite (if no the ori primary canon fire itself), but the width of the beam and seamingly the power of it cut through the hive ship more effectively than i imagine the Odyssey's new weapons can do. The type of matterials the Hives are made from seem very durable, and i dont believe the energy weapons would be as succesful in cutting through it as it did the hull of the Ori motherships.
                          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                            The Asgard beams seem to be a sustained version of their original pulse weapons, so instead of taking multiple hits fractions of seconds apart, in volleys, you take the damage of multiple volleys all condensed into one beam. But that way they do become some what shield based, because doing that would be a great way to drain shields but, when attacking the hull its weapons fire isn't spread out. It took 5 additional hits to the hull to destroy the second Ori mother ship, in the first battle we hit their rear engines which probably did the majority of the explosion.
                            Seriously, at has to be more than a mere transition from pulse to beam, especially since it's actually easier to make a beam than an exotic pulse.

The scientific research behind it must be staggering and particularily specific.
                            You just can't need a year, when you're the Asgards, to come with a simple beam weapon.
                            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Working...
                            X