Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like what the interior archetecture looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1 View Post
      I think I remember an interview with Bruce Woloshyn where he stated that they contracted out the creation of the Aurora-class to another digital fx company and they took inspiration from the 303/304 not realising that the Ancients were supposed to be greatly more advanced than those ships.
      Well, it could've been A LOT worse....

http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
      http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
        Interior design of a ship is oftentimes less important than the exterior design of a ship. Why? Because people are spendign most of their time inside a ship. This is psychiatry. If you hate the interior of a ship that you're going to be spending a lot of time in, you're going to degrade your performance over time and be prone to stress. That's why the interior of the warships looks like Atlantis.. it's like a creature comfort.

The exterior is only important if it is functionally impotant: strong hull, strategic weapons placement, etc. Atlantis looks pretty because it's also a city, and to people that live in atlantis, if the parts they can see is ugly all the time, no one would want to live there.
        I did think of the reasoning behind why they mightve focused on the interior more, but I still think the outside seems out of place. Can you picture that thing on an Atlantis landing pad. That'd be a jarring contrast.

Another issue I have with the Aurora class ships is that it's hull looks weak to me. The dark coloring and small details might give the impression that its tough, but you can see alot of items all over the hull that look like hatchways or fans/ventilation. These are all weaknesses and pathways for things to get into the innards of the ship. With all those parts exposed on the outside of the ship, it leads me to believe they don't have the containment bulkheads that Earth ships do. Then again, Earth shields tend to be weak. The Ori ship's hulls are strong looking though, and so are the Wraith's (a necessity since they don't have shields). They both look like they could be fairly thick and don't have many components showing.

IMO, the exterior of the Ancient warships were designed more for maximum functionality than aesthetics, but the exterior also indicates to me that the Ancients relied very heavily on their shields to protect their ships and not so much on the hull.

Comment

Ill give it a 5, its not pretty atall. Its bulky and nothing like what i had expected. The Oniel and Daniel jackson from the Asgard are much nicer. However the Beliskner wasnt that nice so maybe its just that these ships were produced during a time when they couldnt make them all pretty and flash, if they werent then Lantian designers should be ashamed.
          sigpic
          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
          Stargate : Genesis |
          Original Starship DesignThread
          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
          11000! green me

Comment

The Ancients just didn't have a great knowledge of Style when they built the ship's outsides. That or they just didn't have time to make them look...well...better
            sigpic
            Spoiler:
            President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
            President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
            Forum Charmer
            Forum Ambassador
            Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
            VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
            VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

I agree with all your points, Atlantean Engineer. However, another aspect of military combat is to look jarring on the outside. Oftentimes, if an opponent gets intimidated by you just by looking at your ship, you have a psychological advantage over them.

Personally, I'd build an armada of ultra-powerful starships and make them look like clownmobiles. Sure, you'd laugh at me. But as you're laughing, I'd make you eat vacuum.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean Engineer View Post
                I did think of the reasoning behind why they mightve focused on the interior more, but I still think the outside seems out of place. Can you picture that thing on an Atlantis landing pad. That'd be a jarring contrast.

Another issue I have with the Aurora class ships is that it's hull looks weak to me. The dark coloring and small details might give the impression that its tough, but you can see alot of items all over the hull that look like hatchways or fans/ventilation. These are all weaknesses and pathways for things to get into the innards of the ship. With all those parts exposed on the outside of the ship, it leads me to believe they don't have the containment bulkheads that Earth ships do. Then again, Earth shields tend to be weak. The Ori ship's hulls are strong looking though, and so are the Wraith's (a necessity since they don't have shields). They both look like they could be fairly thick and don't have many components showing.

IMO, the exterior of the Ancient warships were designed more for maximum functionality than aesthetics, but the exterior also indicates to me that the Ancients relied very heavily on their shields to protect their ships and not so much on the hull.
                Well the Ancients had to depend on Atlantis's shield to protect them from things like storms. The accual structue of Atlantis is considerably weak so it is very possible that the ships were the same.

On the other hand, when The orion went into battle with the two wraith hives and sacrificed the shields for drones the ship did accually take a few hive blasts on its hull which, indivisually, did not seem to do that much damage

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
                  Spoiler:

Now call that ship ugly.
                  This ship looks like a bigass missile !! and it is badass for a race that wasnt so into the military thing. In deep space, without radar, this ship would be hard to see. Its an awesome ship. Owns the Tauri ez.

Comment

I say a 6. It is a purely military vessel, military vessels are not suppose to look good, it is all about functionality.
                    sigpic

Comment

I still think it does look good in certain ways... it is beautiful in its own way.

Obviously the Ancient who designed it had unique tastes.

Also: is it me, or does it look like the asymetrical arm was an ad on later, and the ship was originally symetrical?
                      Could the ship maybe be a stripped down, and heavily modified form of Science ship, converted to warship by neccessity.?

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
                        I agree with all your points, Atlantean Engineer. However, another aspect of military combat is to look jarring on the outside. Oftentimes, if an opponent gets intimidated by you just by looking at your ship, you have a psychological advantage over them.

Personally, I'd build an armada of ultra-powerful starships and make them look like clownmobiles. Sure, you'd laugh at me. But as you're laughing, I'd make you eat vacuum.
                        How many clowns could fit in there?

Comment

In my opinion I find it hard to believe that the Ancients build the Aurora class ships... they simply don't look like anything else the Ancients have ever built. Its a bit disappointing... I hope that eventually we'll see a better looking ship from the Ancients.

But right now my theory is that the Ancients contracted their ships out to a less advanced ship designing race. =)

Ace
                          "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Two words...

Ass. Ugly.
                            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

well if they just smoothed it all out without any of those small box looking thing coming out which looks like a lego man with smallpox

it wouldnt look that bad if everything was all more aerodynamic and abit pointyer at the front
                              sigpic

Comment

personally, i think the aurora is the perfect example of a battleship. as many people have said, a battleship shouldnt be sexy. I have never liked the bc-304 simply because i think its too fragile for a battleship. i rate the aurora 10/10 and i have spent quite a signifiicant amount of time comtemplating it designs, couting its guns and their shear sizes, they will no doubt do alot of damage, its shame we never got to see them in action in no mans land
                                some relationships are worth getting your heart broken over

doctor who

Comment

Working...
                                X