This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarnin
    I think the planet sized gates are the first stargates the ancients built.

If you look at the real science behind building a wormhole, you're gonna need a couple of rings the size of a planet just to send something as small as a ship through it.

The progression of ancient technology eventually allowed them to integrate teleportation and their wormholes into the Stargate technology we know and love. The newer gates sends only a persons information through, instead of sending a whole person. That means you can use a much smaller wormhole, with less energy required to power it. In other words, you no longer need planet sized gates, only rings big enough for people/vehicles.
    That actually is correct. You would need a HUGE wormhole just to send something small, so I guess I had it backwards. Scientifically big gates being first makes much more sense now. But knowing the writers they'll make it the way I originally thought and make these huge gates the newest gates. I hope I'm wrong though! Good job Jarnin, I wasn't thinking clearly when I first posted cause I was just soo damn excited! But yea that makes sense.

Comment

Don't feel too bad. Maybe they ARE newer. After all, maybe at first they weren't able to send through the actual object but rather had to deconstruct it and reconstruct it like the gates we know do. Maybe the Orii for some reason needed a way to send an object through WITHOUT doing that. So they developed a real wormhole that could transmit the actual matter back and forth.

Or maybe they use it to send an entire fleet of ships through the gate to attack their targets.

Comment

Originally posted by Acropolis
        in the ep where baal dials all gates what would happen if they though a zpm through would all gates get a zpm?
        heheh excellent.

Comment

maybe its what most are staying, a hyperspace gate for ships without a hyperdrive, like the borg in star trek have trapswarp gates

Comment

Originally posted by cybereagle19
            maybe its what most are staying, a hyperspace gate for ships without a hyperdrive, like the borg in star trek have trapswarp gates
            no... not star trek. My mom says I keep sounding like a treky.

Comment

Silly theory, but you never know:

9th Chevron inputs a scaling function - ie, scales down a spaceship (for example) relative to the size of the gate.

eg - when sending a spaceship from a stargate of area 10km2, to one of 1km2, it is reduced in size by a factor of 10 when emerging from the smaller gate. So - you could have 38 different sizes of stargates throughout the universe.

By this token, if we send a MALP from earth, to this massive stargate, the MALP - and any team members who follow will become absolutely massive - planet sized in fact.

I must admit - that is a horrible theory. I think i need to go to bed now, my Brain seems to have turned to jello.
              I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

The only thing i can think oof maybe it is network of planet sized gates and how they travel around / but it must be weapon - its gonna be something good we know that.
                i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Raven
                  That actually is correct. You would need a HUGE wormhole just to send something small, so I guess I had it backwards. Scientifically big gates being first makes much more sense now. But knowing the writers they'll make it the way I originally thought and make these huge gates the newest gates. I hope I'm wrong though! Good job Jarnin, I wasn't thinking clearly when I first posted cause I was just soo damn excited! But yea that makes sense.
                  you bloody ******....

Comment

Stop wankin' your DUDE and get back on topic noob!

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Raven
                      Stop wankin' your DUDE and get back on topic noob!
                      A true Supreme Grandmaster could have come back with something better. You sir are no Supreme Grandmaster !!

Comment

Damnit Scooter! Now you're startin' to piss me off... you probably think that these new gates are made out of petrified DUDE'S don't you?!

Comment

wait.... umm..... what were we talking about?

Comment

Read, Bambi.....Read.

Comment

I.... CAN'T read!!!!! *runs into corner in fetal position*

Comment

it doesn't say stargate. it says stargate portal, could be tech based of the ancients stargate.

Comment

Working...
                                X