Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the big stargate, and I like the fact that they are the original "Ancients." Remember, we are not the first evolution of humans. And, never was it stated that the "Ancients" that we know and love are the "first ones" either. These people are even more ancient than our "Ancients." This makes a lot of sense, if we are reading into it correctly. That would explain why our "Ancients" will not interfere. Our "Ancients" left their own galaxy to escape their "Ancients" and vowed never to become like them.

Think of it like the settlers of North America vowing never to live in monarchy (except for Canadians, who are just in denial...kidding). Please don't turn this into a political debate, just an example.

Comment

Ever thought that the Ori split from the ancients because they craved power.
      I doubt my sanity; then again I doubt yours as well!

Comment

I don't think it worked like that, my view is our ancients left their home galaxy to go out there and explore whilst the rest stayed behide and sumhow became corrupt.

Comment

I find it hard to belive that someone could build a stargate the size of a planet, other than say one the size of Pluto.

But just for arguments sake lets say that this is true. Say they have a gate with 1,000 mile diameter. The writers have thought this through im sure. It would be useless unles the gates scaled things. Say a ship goes through this large gate and is 10% the size of the gate. When it comes out to a normal gate, i would immagine it would be 10% the size of normal gate. So the Ori launch a fleet at any target, and the ships are miniturized.

So look for swarms of miniture ori ships to be flying around the SGC this year.

Comment

I don't think it is an actual gate, it's probly like opening a hyperspace window except it's instantaneous travel, but i doubt it's an actual gate

Comment

I think the planet sized gates are the first stargates the ancients built.

If you look at the real science behind building a wormhole, you're gonna need a couple of rings the size of a planet just to send something as small as a ship through it.

The progression of ancient technology eventually allowed them to integrate teleportation and their wormholes into the Stargate technology we know and love. The newer gates sends only a persons information through, instead of sending a whole person. That means you can use a much smaller wormhole, with less energy required to power it. In other words, you no longer need planet sized gates, only rings big enough for people/vehicles.
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Real stargate or not, the idea is intriguing. One thing's for sure, it should be cool to see how tptb pull it off.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

They probally just have a wormhole generator that can create a super huge wormhole. Since they called it a stargate, it probally just uses the same dialing technique as the stargate.

Comment

I've always liked big stargates, but a planet-sized stargate? How big is the DHD? Let me guess, you need a spaceship just to dial the DHD, right? (And you better hope you got a great pilot, too!)

On another note, define planet-sized. Their planets could be much smaller then ours. (Ok - possibly the stupidest idea in the entire thread, but what the heck. I thought i would throw that one out anyway). "Planet-sized" is a relative term if you ask me. Earth is planet sized. So is Jupiter! And 1,500 earths fit inside Jupiter!

Comment

Just speculating: What if they send people from their galaxy to our galaxy to convert some people to worship the Ori then the Ori give the converts the technology to build a planet sized stargate in our galaxy thus you can open a stargate between the two galaxies assuming the Ori galaxy also has a planet sized stargate. The new stargate would have the original 7 chevrons plus the extra chevron for the galaxy. Depending on how far away the Ori galaxy is they might use extra chevrons to triangulate.

But than again I could be totally wrong. But it would be kinda cool.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                        I've always liked big stargates, but a planet-sized stargate? How big is the DHD? Let me guess, you need a spaceship just to dial the DHD, right? (And you better hope you got a great pilot, too!)

On another note, define planet-sized. Their planets could be much smaller then ours. (Ok - possibly the stupidest idea in the entire thread, but what the heck. I thought i would throw that one out anyway). "Planet-sized" is a relative term if you ask me. Earth is planet sized. So is Jupiter! And 1,500 earths fit inside Jupiter!
                        There's an episode of the old Fantastic Four cartoon in which atoms were actually really small planets. Maybe that's the planet-size. They took miniaturization to the extreme.
                        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
                          it wouln't work rite without a recieving stargate of the same size. You can't send an astroid though. it just wouldn't work.
                          Probably the size wouldnt matter. It's still a Stargate ... just one of humongous proportions...
                          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

The Ori could simply send four separate ships that work together to form this masive stargate. No, not the gate in four seperate pieces, but four ships that align to create a gate of massive proportion which they can move, in a limited fashion, in unison. This "gate" wouldn't necessarily be defined by four dimensions we know and love.

Comment

in the ep where baal dials all gates what would happen if they though a zpm through would all gates get a zpm?

Comment

I just want to point out to all the people going on saying "aha, their ships and that will shrink when they go through the gate! XD" that Orlin built a VERY small Stargate in Sam's basement. Did he grow when he went through? Think.

Comment

Working...
                                X