This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
    They should also try and develop a satellite defense system though thats kind of difficulty with the whole...secrecy thing. But still it would be useful rather then rely on ships to keep coming back to defend earth.

I had the idea of building manned Planetary Point Defense stations, in very high orbits above the Earth. Unlike ships, they wouldn't have the ability to fly anywhere, but they would be shielded and heavily armed with a large array of weaponry. Since they can't go anywhere, their sole purpose would be planetary defense. They might also be equipped with Asgard beams for emergyency escape, if need be. They would add to the overall planetary defense capability, without having to build more ships with more complicated and expensive systems. They would truly be space stations, but used soley for planetary defense. Since they are manned stations, you don't have to worry about the danger of some bad guy getting a hold of an automated system (Like Dr. Jackson did in his dream...), and abusing it. Essentially, all you need to do is build small stations equipped with artificial gravity, a life support system, probably a few bunk beds and food prep area, besides being completely armed to the teeth. I suppose if you can beam an entire building into orbit using Asgard beams, you could easily beam a completed station of the Earth's surface and into orbit. So you wouldn't even have any launch costs... how sweet is that..!?
    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

what we need at the very least to protect or planet from the ori threat is some asgard weapons and sheilding with one of their power sources and maybe some anceint drone weapons. otherwise if we only have our ships with asgard sheilding runing under their full capacity. we will be siriusly screwed.

but lets face it its a show were the good guys we'll win in the end any way

Comment

Originally posted by norbe
        Yes you are right, but we already know that the Mk2 Naquadah generators are enough to power the chair, that was proved in The Siege Part2.
        For a short time only, at best. The new Mk. IIIs would be a lot better.

Comment

Adding submarine-style tactics to our space forces would be a big help (running silent, for instance).
          Actually, running silent would do absolutely nothing in space. Why? Because there is no sound in space.

Comment

Originally posted by tendomentis
            But, upon better reflection, maybe the problem truly is not of the three branches of the military to put in charge, but to create a fourth space-based command to handle the new fleet.
            It seems to me that any new branch of service would necessarily make both the Navy and the Airforce obsolete. Is there any point in maintaining a navy of seafaring ships when you have starships? Is there anything that an Aircraft carrier can do that cannot be done better by a Daedalus class vessel? Furthermore, is there any point in maintaining an atmosphere bound fleet of fighters and bombers in the face of F302s, BC-304s, and whatever additional vessels may be coming off the production line soon also capable of operating both in atmosphere and outside of it? What can our current air fleet do that cannot be done better by our interstellar fleet?

Comment

Originally posted by Scyld
              It seems to me that any new branch of service would necessarily make both the Navy and the Airforce obsolete. Is there any point in maintaining a navy of seafaring ships when you have starships? Is there anything that an Aircraft carrier can do that cannot be done better by a Daedalus class vessel? Furthermore, is there any point in maintaining an atmosphere bound fleet of fighters and bombers in the face of F302s, BC-304s, and whatever additional vessels may be coming off the production line soon also capable of operating both in atmosphere and outside of it? What can our current air fleet do that cannot be done better by our interstellar fleet?
              only can happen when the gate goes public simply cause people will start asking questions and nations would be threatend by this and would react extremly badly not just china all of them.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
              O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

Originally posted by valha'lla
                only can happen when the gate goes public simply cause people will start asking questions and nations would be threatend by this and would react extremly badly not just china all of them.
                I suppose it would also help if our world were unified. But then, in the Stargate universe, unification probably isn't an impossibility once the Gate goes public.
                I agree with Alec Colson, though; we're ready. "And if a truth of this magnitude, about the very nature of human existence, could lead us to destroy ourselves, then I'd say we would deserve it, wouldn't you?"

Comment

Originally posted by Scyld
                  Actually, running silent would do absolutely nothing in space. Why? Because there is no sound in space.
                  Running silent was a metaphor. Running with no EM signature, everything shut down, you know? That sort of silent, as far as electromagnetic "noise" goes?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
                    Running silent was a metaphor. Running with no EM signature, everything shut down, you know? That sort of silent, as far as electromagnetic "noise" goes?

I agree, the term is applicable in that area also.
                    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

And now, at last, the final design of the Abydos. Diagram and schematics to follow at a later date.

Abydos-class Starship

Type: Small long-range hyperspace capable warship
                      Technology base: Earth/Asgard
                      User/s: United States Navy, United States Air Force, Royal Navy/Air Force, Russian Space Service
                      Naval Classification: Destroyer/Light Cruiser
                      Dimensions:
                      ~Length: 124m (406 feet)
                      ~Width: 36m (118 feet)
                      ~Height: 42m (137 feet)
                      Displacement: 1,800 tons
                      Crew: 29
                      ~Troops: 60
                      ~Craft: Two Tel'tac cargo/scout ships or two Puddlejumpers.
                      ~Vehicles: 6 (four Humvees, two LAVs)
                      Powerplant: Mk. III Naquada Reactor
                      Engines:
                      ~Six ion-based sublight drives
                      ~Three hyperspace window generators
                      ~Antigravity wave generator network
                      Weapons:
                      ~Eight Mk. II eight-cell retractable missile clips
                      ~Eight Point Defense Pulse Laser cannons
                      ~One 155mm coilgun
                      Defenses:
                      ~Asgard shields
                      ~Cloaking Device
                      ~Reactive armor plating
                      Other Technology:
                      ~Asgard transporters
                      ~Asgard sensors
                      ~Gou'ald Rings

Technical and Historical Notes:

After the launch of the BC-304 Daedalus, the United States military issued a requirement (top secret) for a smaller starship class to supplement the new battlecruisers that would begin coming off the assembly line. The vessel would have to be smaller, cheaper, and more maneuverable than the Daedalus, but be able to deploy near-equal firepower against threat ships and installations.

The United States Navy, already involved in constructing the BC-304 and teaching the Air Force how to run ships, immediately recalled Commander R. Doyle Gillespie back from retirement. He had been involved in designing the next-generation of United States attack submarine, and with his unique background in mathmatics and command, was perfect to run such a program.

With the threat of the Goa'uld largely eliminated, Commander Gillespie believed that now was a good time for the development and testing of new technologies in the new ship class (codenamed X-305), as there was no rush to get more ships into the air with what they had. Drawing up a design based on current Navy vessels in development, the vessel would only use trinium in 60% of it's construction, cutting it's cost considerably. The project, now codenamed "Abydos", was approved by the Senate Appropriations Committee and began work in a secure drydock near the old submarine base in Charleston, South Carolina.

The design of the X-305 was based heavily upon the RV Triton, and the Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer. A tri-hull configuration, already used to good effect by the Daedalus, would also form the foundation for the X-305. Taking the engines, shields, powerplant, and basic systems from the BC-304 program, the X-305's true innovations were in weaponry, versatility, and overall performance.

Rather than using vertical-launch tubes for it's missiles, the X-305 used new technology intended for future attack submarine-Retractable weapons clips on the sides of the vessel. Essentially "pop-out" launchers, the clips were housed inside the outer edge of the hull, and with a simple release mechanism would extend, exposing it's eight missiles in their individual cells for launch. The clips would have open backs and fronts, removing the need for missile pads to absorb the ignition of the weapons. The weapon of choice would be the new Mk. VIIb naquada-enhanced missile system, which featured a modest, cheap inertial dampening unit that greatly improved the missile's acceleration and maneuverability. The X-305 could also carry modified AMRAAM, Sea Sparrow, and Harpoon missiles in it's clips. This gave the small ship a total of 64 weapons, a very heavy armament. However, unlike the BC-304, the X-305 would be forced to return to base to reload after expending it's missiles.

Along with new, short-range pulse laser cannons (the BC-304s stuck with reliable rail guns) for defense, the X-305 was given the first practical coil gun (or mass driver), built with help from the Asgard. Capable of firing naquada-tipped, depleted uranium shells at a million meters a second, the coil gun would be the weapon of choice against the X-305's intended prey-Al'kesh and other small threat force starships. Each shot would equal roughly a kiloton of explosive force in kinetic energy alone, and with the modest naquada enhancement, the coil gun could do some damage even against Ha'tak-class motherships.

To save money, the X-305's hull was plated in reactive armor, instead of trinium. The armor explodes outward when struck by weapon's fire, disappating up to 60% of the energy of the hit. With key areas of the vessel reinforced with trinium, and the use of Asgard shields and a cloaking device, the X-305 (christened Abydos) would prove a formidable weapon.

Launched shortly after the destruction of the Prometheus, the Abydos was undergoing extensive shakedown trials and tests in Mars orbit. Her hyperdrive had yet to be installed, and so she was not considered to be sent to rescue SG-1 along with the Oddessy. She would later participate in anti-smuggling operations with the Free Jaffa Nation Spacefleet, a joint-maneuver designed to promote solidarity between the Tau'ri and the young galactic superpower. In this mission, Abydos was responsible for intercepting a huge shipment of kassa bound for Chulak. One week later, in a rather unorthodox strategy, she defeated a Prior of the Ori by landing on him on the planet Madrona. Finally, her ability to float in water and cloak allowed her to covertly assist in the recovery of a downed US submarine in the Pacific.

Now designated SDD-305 (Space Destroyer), the Abydos-class starship will soon enter full-scale production, largely under the management of the US Navy (though the USAF has requested a few). The Russian Space Service and the Royal Air Force/Navy have expressed interest in the design as well, and may soon begin production of their own SDD-305s.

Comment

nice ship. after the specs, i didn't read it.

my opinion about offworld production.... ... .. ..

there are millions of Free Jaffa out there, who need something to do.
                        we could "contrac hire" them out. give them a place to live and food. in turn, they help us build a fleet of ships, of our desighn of course. by using the Free jaffa we could build small towns and cities wherre the jaffa live they work, make monies, or whatever, our payment to them, there still free, they could leave when they feel like it, and in turn, any rouge gould who want them back, we protect them. they could make there own little civiilization on a plannet, where a bit of the work is done to build the Earth/asguard/jaffa ships in our fleet.
                        Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
                        (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

brilliant design, really love it, its as good as the athena and F-303 design i did, in terms of detail...really well done. only 1 quarrell, take out the pulse laser cannons and replace with rail guns and we have our newest design for a briliant mid-class vessel.
                          im really impressed
                          sigpic
                          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                          Stargate : Genesis |
                          Original Starship DesignThread
                          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by ancientaction
                            nice ship. after the specs, i didn't read it.

my opinion about offworld production.... ... .. ..

there are millions of Free Jaffa out there, who need something to do.
                            we could "contrac hire" them out. give them a place to live and food. in turn, they help us build a fleet of ships, of our desighn of course. by using the Free jaffa we could build small towns and cities wherre the jaffa live they work, make monies, or whatever, our payment to them, there still free, they could leave when they feel like it, and in turn, any rouge gould who want them back, we protect them. they could make there own little civiilization on a plannet, where a bit of the work is done to build the Earth/asguard/jaffa ships in our fleet.

Don't underestimate the Jaffa. They have their own civilization already, and they aren't that needy. They also know how to construct Ha'tak ships, at least up to a point. They may not understand all the principles behind the technology, but they can certainly 'go-through-the-motions' of constructing and repairing them. Certain things they can't fix everything, but they have enough training repair basic problems. Earth isn't about to employ a bunch of Jaffa who have no expertise in building some of the particular systems and components used in Earthships.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

i didn't say they were dumb, i was just implying that we allow them to live on on of our "off world production sites' built a small civilization and help us build ships.
                              because with there help, we could role a ship off into the fleet every few months, or weeks.
                              Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
                              (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
                                International Space Fleet
                                The British would have a bit harder time building their own spacefleet in the Home Islands-Remember, we have to keep these operations secret from the general public. The British have a few submarine construction facilities of their own, which would serve nicely to build smaller starships. At the very least, they can provide ground troops and supplies to the SGC, and crews for ships the US and Russia can build for them.
                                I agree that the UK's contribution would most likely be in the form of ground troops etc or perhaps F-302 production. There's also the possibility of a totally new space fighter designed. The UK is renowned for it's innovation in military technologies the majority of which we share with our allies.

Another thing to consider with Britain is that it has a Commonwealth who's resources could be pooled in order to produce deaddy class warships and with vast tracts of open space in places like Africa and Australia in which to construct them secretly.

Comment

Working...
                                X