This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy
    Why do you think I mentioned a child's text book? I said that we should get all of their mathematic knowledge, I didn't just mean the hyper advanced stuff.
    Good point. So, how do you propose we go about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon
      Good point. So, how do you propose we go about that?
      Well at this point pretty much all of the advanced races that we know about are either dead or conquered so the best bet in my mind would be covert operations with the sole intent of finding all of the stuff on math that we could in what's left of their computer systems.

Comment

Well at this point pretty much all of the advanced races that we know about are either dead or conquered so the best bet in my mind would be covert operations with the sole intent of finding all of the stuff on math that we could in what's left of their computer systems.
        We do have the capability to send a ship to Tollana now, as the Stargate was destroyed when Anubis wiped them out.

Comment

Yes but we don't know if any of the databases survived. Too bad the show will never allow us to get that kind of knowledge, "The Other Side" taught us that.

Comment

I don't disagree that having that kind of knowledge in the show would be very cool but wouldn't it make it a little cheap and easy? The main reason it seems that they keep us from advancing too far is it would make it too easy for us to destroy some enemies.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Well what's cheesier, the fact that we've never asked for mathematical knowledge from any of the advanced races we've encountered, or the fact that we've been able to build things that are far beyond our current level of understanding?

Comment

Well what's cheesier, the fact that we've never asked for mathematical knowledge from any of the advanced races we've encountered, or the fact that we've been able to build things that are far beyond our current level of understanding?
                Well, we've probably asked. The Asgard had to have given us help building the Replicator disruptors (considering that they use kirons, a sub-atomic particle we were unaware of). Not to mention help in using their intergalactic hyperdrive technology. They would need to teach us the mathematics and physics required to understand how the drives work, how to manage them, and how to fix them if things went wrong. Not to mention how to navigate using them. All of which requires a big understanding of mathematics and physics.

The Hebridian ion drives would also require a LOT of mathematical and engineering know-how to understand. I doubt that the Asgard just handed over their technology without giving us an instruction manual and some training courses. To do otherwise would just be irresponsible. So I think it's safe to say we've gained a lot of mathematical know-how along with the technology, but we probably lack the resources and precursor technologies needed to build the stuff ourselves. Just because we know how the stuff works does not immediately mean that we know how to build it.

For instance, in real life we know how a warp drive is supposed to work, but we don't know how to generate the required power, don't understand the nessecary "negative energy", and don't know how to build a ship capable of mounting the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Joshua Talon View Post
                  Well, we've probably asked. The Asgard had to have given us help building the Replicator disruptors (considering that they use kirons, a sub-atomic particle we were unaware of). Not to mention help in using their intergalactic hyperdrive technology. They would need to teach us the mathematics and physics required to understand how the drives work, how to manage them, and how to fix them if things went wrong. Not to mention how to navigate using them. All of which requires a big understanding of mathematics and physics.

The Hebridian ion drives would also require a LOT of mathematical and engineering know-how to understand. I doubt that the Asgard just handed over their technology without giving us an instruction manual and some training courses. To do otherwise would just be irresponsible. So I think it's safe to say we've gained a lot of mathematical know-how along with the technology, but we probably lack the resources and precursor technologies needed to build the stuff ourselves. Just because we know how the stuff works does not immediately mean that we know how to build it.

For instance, in real life we know how a warp drive is supposed to work, but we don't know how to generate the required power, don't understand the nessecary "negative energy", and don't know how to build a ship capable of mounting the drive.
                  Okay, you've made your point well. But I still havn't seen them actively trying to get that kind of knowledge in the show.

I'm sure it has been brought up before, but isn't there a way to make a hyperspace interdiction field around our, as well as other, solar system? You know like a light-year or two out from it in a bubble so no one could enter our systems. I think it could be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
                    Okay, you've made your point well. But I still havn't seen them actively trying to get that kind of knowledge in the show.

I'm sure it has been brought up before, but isn't there a way to make a hyperspace interdiction field around our, as well as other, solar system? You know like a light-year or two out from it in a bubble so no one could enter our systems. I think it could be helpful.
                    Daryl, this isn't Star Wars. Now, if we could figure out how the Wraith are able to jam the Asgard beaming technology, that might give us a starting point for disabling the transporter technology of other races, but as far as jamming the hyperspace capability of a ship? How would we even begin to do that?

Hyperspace seems to work on the same principals as the Stargate: Creating a subspace field to force the creation of a wormhole (hyperspace window) through subspace at incredible speed. How have Stargates been messed with in the past?

Comment

We could position ships in hyper space around the solar system, when a ship comes through hyperspace to earth, we shoot it down while in hyperspace.
                      Stopping is possible in hyperspace, just utterly pointless.
                      Oh snap. You're reading a really old post.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFOwned View Post
                        We could position ships in hyper space around the solar system, when a ship comes through hyperspace to earth, we shoot it down while in hyperspace.
                        Stopping is possible in hyperspace, just utterly pointless.
                        Unfortunately, our current fleet numbers preclude us from setting up that kind of defense. And, truth be told, our ships are incapable of stopping an Ori ship at the moment and would not be the proper deterrent to them at the moment.

However, against other enemies such as the Lucian Alliance and any Goa'uld still out there, a system picket is definitely something we should invest in. The problem is that our ships are just not up to engaging and defeating our biggest threat forces (The Ori) at the moment.

... Wait. We've suggested that the "Fallen" manuever used against Anubis's mothership could be used against the Ori to get through their shields. But, what if the Ori have figured out a way to keep this from happening? I mean, surely some Jaffa have tried using a tel'tac to jump through the Ori's shields and release a bomb, right? But what if they can't?

That could mean that the Ori have developed at least a short-range hyperspace jamming system. We couldn't apply it to cover an entire solar system (the power requirements must be staggering at best), but if we could reverse-engineer it, then it gives us a potent weapon. We can hold our enemies in normal space while we pound them to pieces.

Ideas?

Comment

Well That would work, if that was actually happening but since we haven't heard of it being tried we must assume that it doesn't exist.

You know what the best way of defending Earth is to gain several allies, we've been trying to do this but all the races that have seemed "worth it" are either dead or too stuck up to realize that it would be a good thing.

Comment

in the first episode of season 3 of atlantis the auroar (sorry about spelling) was destroyed, if we got the sheilds and weopons up together we could destroy the ori ships with ease as the drone weapons can pepatrate sheilds, so candestroy the ships whilst being safe inside their ancient sheild!

Comment

We're no where near being able to reverse engineer either drones or Ancient shields. You're talking technology that is millions of years ahead of us: We're lucky we can understand what we've gotten from the Asgard.

Now, I'd like to propose a slightly different project: Find specific locations in the US or other Stargate Treaty (GATO) nations for starships to be built. Either Prometheus-class or Daedalus class. The requirements for these sites are as follows:

1: They must be able to house either a 250-meter long ship if it's for Prometheus, or a 450-meter long ship if it's for building a Daedalus.

2: With the use of a cloaking device and the Asgard beaming technology, it is significantly easier to build a starship in a more urbanized area. Still, the more remote the facility the better.

3: These must be real places.

Go!

Comment

Working...
                              X