This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seastallion
    Andromeda is about 2.2 million LY's away from the Milky Way. Wikipedia says that Pegasus is between 3.2 and 3.5 million LY's away from the Milky Way.
    Wikipedia is wrong. I also believe Pegasus in the show is Pegasus Dwarf Spheroidal (Peg dSph) not Pegasus Dwarf Irregular (Peg DIG). Peg dSph is slightly farther than Peg DIG. Also, Peg dSph's distance rounds to McKay's estimate while Peg DIG does not. Therefore, the more likely galaxy where the Ancients left for is Peg dSph.

The show Andromeda was about a ship called the Andromeda Ascendant. It derives its name from the ship and not the galaxy Andromeda (although the ship often visited that galaxy).

I wonder if the Asgard galaxy is one of the Milky Way's satellites.

Comment

I think the presence of a "mysterious" energy sheild preventing ships from getting ot the centre of the galaxy and exiting the galaxy in Star Trek is pretty stupid. Could anybody tell me in which episodes they explain this phenomenon?

I think that Trek should have stuck to the more realistic approach that traveling to other galaxies are impossible because their engines arn't fast enough and the fact that once they clear Milky Way, here's millions on lightyears of nothing ness. It's like sailing from Vancouver to Japan in a canoe.

Does anybody know where I can find a real picture of Pegasus and Ida? Are those even real places? And how far is it from Milky Way? And IIRC, in the StarGate Movie, Abydose was located in the "Kalium" galaxy "on the other side of the known univese?" which i'm assuming was a small plot error befor the series got started. So where's Abysode now - er before it got destroyed.
      ...but courage, and a steadfast resolve will prove the most valuable assets in this undertaking...well, good luck to you all. *Beams out*

CONNECTION: TERMINATED

Comment

Originally posted by section31
        I think the presence of a "mysterious" energy sheild preventing ships from getting ot the centre of the galaxy and exiting the galaxy in Star Trek is pretty stupid. Could anybody tell me in which episodes they explain this phenomenon?

I think that Trek should have stuck to the more realistic approach that traveling to other galaxies are impossible because their engines arn't fast enough and the fact that once they clear Milky Way, here's millions on lightyears of nothing ness. It's like sailing from Vancouver to Japan in a canoe.

Does anybody know where I can find a real picture of Pegasus and Ida? Are those even real places? And how far is it from Milky Way? And IIRC, in the StarGate Movie, Abydose was located in the "Kalium" galaxy "on the other side of the known univese?" which i'm assuming was a small plot error befor the series got started. So where's Abysode now - er before it got destroyed.
        Those ideas are mainly only found in the Original Series. The later Star Trek incarnations never even hinted at such a thing. Wise, I think.
        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
        My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
        Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
          Yeah its more or less that in Star Trek saying that an energy barrier surrounds the galaxy which destroys anything entering or leaving the galaxy. That and the fact that their FTL capabilities arnt very fast so it would take thousands of years possibly for them to reach another galaxy though they have had contact with one race from the Andromeda galaxy called the Kelvans. In trek though they say that radiation levels are rising in the Andromeda galaxy and will eventually make living impossible there.

cuz they don't use hyperspace

it takes them 125 years to go from one side to the other side of the MW while us maybe weeks?

Comment

I think it would be great to have the team travel to Andromeda...but there is already two galaxies...and not all are completely explored. Of course...you probably could use your imagination to make another cool Stargate system...

Comment

Yeah and this is why I firmly believe Cheveron 9 enables the Stargate to dial into another alien gate network. Like dialing the international area code.
              ...but courage, and a steadfast resolve will prove the most valuable assets in this undertaking...well, good luck to you all. *Beams out*

CONNECTION: TERMINATED

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                Andromeda is about 2.2 million LY's away from the Milky Way. Wikipedia says that Pegasus is between 3.2 and 3.5 million LY's away from the Milky Way.
                According to the SEDS Local Group Page, The Andromeda Galaxy (M31) is believed to be 2.9 Mly away. The Pegasus Dwarf Irregular Galaxy is generally estimated to be 3 MLY, though figures ranging from 2.5 to 6 have been given by various sources.

Originally posted by Lord You
                I also believe Pegasus in the show is Pegasus Dwarf Spheroidal (Peg dSph) not Pegasus Dwarf Irregular (Peg DIG). Peg dSph is slightly farther than Peg DIG. Also, Peg dSph's distance rounds to McKay's estimate while Peg DIG does not. Therefore, the more likely galaxy where the Ancients left for is Peg dSph.
                I'm thinking Atlantis is in Peg DIG. Peg dSph is properly known as Andromeda VI, as it is a close sattellite galaxy of M31. (And the count is now up to And X, I've.) Peg DIG might be a distant sattellite of M31, or an independent little galaxy in the local group.

Also, something I read once suggested that Peg dSph is composed mostly of older, red stars, while Peg DIG is younger and more dynamic. Which, based on that highly sketchy info, I decided would mean that it's more likely to have more potential for earth-like planetary systems. But unless the writers actually say something specific, we'll never know.

Plus I like the thought of it being a more isolated pocket of the local universe. Relatively speaking, of course.

a time to mourn

Comment

Yeah, there was a distinct change between the movie and the series. In the movie, Abydos was in the "Caelum Galaxy", across the known univere. Galaxies are named for the Constellation in the sky in which they are found. Caelum is a small constellation in the southern hemisphere. There are a few sizeable galaxies within it, but none I can find info about "on the other side of the known universe". For the series, Abydos is in a nearby solar system.

a time to mourn

Comment

I have a Star Trek question. Why do you suppose starfleet has never left the galaxy? After all Earth is located near the edge of the Milky way. I vaguely remember that there's a "mysterious energy field" preventing ships from traveling to the centre of the galaxy, but what about traveling out of the galaxy?

Is it because once you clear the Milky Way, there's nothing but open 2.5 million LY of open space until you hit Pegasus? Meaning no planets or meteors to mine dilithum from?
                    Star Trek tech is not capbable of doing that (well regular tech). At the best, you might get a wormhole, if the borg find that, they may (since I don't really know how that stuff works) build a unimatrix thing between the galaxies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galacti...nts_(Star_Trek) Just a reference to the actual quadrants in startrek.

Basically, remember how long it was going to take to get Voyager back (75 years at the "start" of the show, and eventually 25 IF they did'nt use the borg matrix at the end of the show), seventy thousand light-years from Earth.

25 years eventually (and 75 to begin with) to go 70,000, compared to 2,500,000 million.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

That is a very good post Hatcheter!!!

Comment

Actually the Borg should be able to get to another galaxy in star trek. And this thing in Star Trek that's makes it "impossible" to get to another galaxy, wasn't that in one ST movie and the Enterprise went in it and made it, there was a planet there with some strange lifeforms ?

Hallowed are the fans of Stargate!

Comment

They can go to other galaxies, Borg Transwarp technology allows them to do that.

In the Startrek Movie they were going towards the center of the galaxy not outside it.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

I dont think Ida is Andromeda. We now that the replicators inhibit Ida. In 'Exodus' The Ha'tak was propelled to a galaxy 4 million lightyears away where they met the replicators. Andromeda is 2.5 million light years away. If the Asgard do infact live there then why havn't they ever bothered to search pegusus for the Lost City of the Ancients (blonging to their former allies). And If the Asgard can make the journy from Ida to Milky-Way in minutes (Indicating that the Asgard may have installed one of their crappiest hyperdrives on the dudelus) then certainly the Alterrans and the Ori should be able to make it there in even less time (seconds). If the Ori needed a super gate to get to their galaxy then it would mean that it will take a hell of a long time to get there by ship. As a result their home galaxy would be far far away possibly even billions of lightyears. We also know that the Alterrans had been travelling in a great intergalactic ship for thousands of years fleeing from the conflicting beliefs of the Ori before comming across the milky way and setting up the center of their Empire there. This would comfirm that they originated a very long distance away.

The reason they didn't explore Andromeda is probably because Atlantis was built probably a small life-seeding mission to Peguses sent by the Alterran Empire in the milky way. (Evidence of it being a small life-seeding expedition can be indicated by An Ancient's theory where the peguses Lanteans were inferior in technology to the Milky Way Alterrans). Perhaps if it was a success they were planning on sending out a much larger ambition expedition out to Andromeda. They might have had to see how a small dwarf galaxy works out before trying out a galaxy much larger than the Milky-Way. Unfortunately they may have been unable to carry out that plan either because Atlantis was a faliure or more likey due to the fall of the Alterran Empire after the plague broke out shortly after Atlantis Leaving.

Another theory could be that Atlantis was a rushed Emergency expedition sent by the Alterran Empire to preserve their life by reseading another galaxy with human life after the plague had just began in the Milky-Way. They may have not had enough time to organise such an exercise on a scale even larger than the galaxy they were in on such short notice.

Another explanation is that maybe they already successfully seeded life in the Andromeda Galaxy. We know that after the Alterrans discovered the 'great belt of stars' known as the Milky-Way they set up base there for atleast 50 million years according to carters calculations involving the antartic DHD. The seeding of Peguses began aproximately 5-10 million years ago. That gives them enough time to seed other nearby galaxies with life such as Andromeda and perhaps Atlantis was dispatched merely to complete that mission by seeding the nearby dwarf galaxies as well shortly before the plague broke out ending the Alterran Realm at its heart in the Milky-Way.

Comment

Originally posted by macktheknife
                              Star Trek tech is not capbable of doing that (well regular tech). At the best, you might get a wormhole, if the borg find that, they may (since I don't really know how that stuff works) build a unimatrix thing between the galaxies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galacti...nts_(Star_Trek) Just a reference to the actual quadrants in startrek.

Basically, remember how long it was going to take to get Voyager back (75 years at the "start" of the show, and eventually 25 IF they did'nt use the borg matrix at the end of the show), seventy thousand light-years from Earth.

25 years eventually (and 75 to begin with) to go 70,000, compared to 2,500,000 million.

there ya go 70 years to do 70000LY. prommie did 50LY in 20minutes and it took voyager 1 month to do 40LY. (this is from voyager)

Comment

Hmm energy barrier eh??.............i can explain a barrier around the galxy but not an energy barrier.
                                Ok lets think on smaller terms. The earth like any spinning mass has a gravitational field. Now for regular rockets to escape this field it takes an enormous amount of energy kinda like breaking through a 'BARRIER'.
                                Now time to think bigger.
                                The galaxy essentially is also a spinning mass but one with astronomical proportions. This would suggest that it would have a gravitational field (barrier) as well. Comparing the size of the earth to the size of the galaxy i think we can safely say that to break through this barrier with simply warp technology (startrek) would be impossible.
                                Now although transwarp is much much faster than warp, it still would not even be able to get close to the escape velocity needed to escape from the galaxies gravitational field (barrier). This is why even the borg CAN'T travel to other galaxies.
                                On stargate this whole problem has been resolved with hyperdrives. iI could go into the theory behind hyperdrives but i think there are other threads that do this already.
                                I will say this muich though, that the only difference between warp and hyperdrive isnt just speed. Its a completely different form of travel altogether with a completely different set of laws of physics as its basis. With warp you still travel through normal space whereas with hyperspace you are travelling through subspace (or some people say the boundary between subspace and normal space).

Comment

Working...
                                X