This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrustNo1
    The gate can dial however many chevrons the writers want it to dial I personally don't see a limit to it as long as you can modify it, have the coordinates to a working gate and have the power to connect a wormhole. 8 dials another galaxy, 9 goes further out, 10 out further, 11 out further, it just keeps going
    No, there are only nine cheverons, so they can't go more than 1987690320!*63606090240!*2035394887680! possible addresses that you could dial total from all gates. Chech out this thread http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=18609 here.
    -Kralizec

"The only truth is that the knowledge of the universe is infinite."

Comment

Originally posted by TrustNo1
      The gate can dial however many chevrons the writers want it to dial I personally don't see a limit to it as long as you can modify it, have the coordinates to a working gate and have the power to connect a wormhole. 8 dials another galaxy, 9 goes further out, 10 out further, 11 out further, it just keeps going
      whats furthur out than a galaxy? Unless your looking at going to different realms or paralel universes

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
        whats furthur out than a galaxy? Unless your looking at going to different realms or paralel universes
        A galactic cluster is the next furthest out. Our own galactic cluster is called the Local Group.
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

They would need a ZPM to go that far, just like to the peagasus galaxy. Right?

Comment

Who knows, it could turn out to be anything. The 9th chevron might not just make it go beyond our galactic cluster, the Ancients may not have even established a get network there. The writers will decide, and they havent really eliminated any possibilities when it comes to the 9th chevron.
            The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
              Agree with your statement, MT. Carter said in 'Frozen' that the DHD's have a limited power supply. I'm thinking that they don't use a ZPM.
              Absolutely right. But...might this be the reason that the Antarctic DHD ran out of power in the first place? I doubt it, but it's a possibility. Or perhaps the extra power that was run through it in order to dial Pegasus (assuming it ever did) hastened its demise.

Comment

Originally posted by Abiron
                Absolutely right. But...might this be the reason that the Antarctic DHD ran out of power in the first place? I doubt it, but it's a possibility. Or perhaps the extra power that was run through it in order to dial Pegasus (assuming it ever did) hastened its demise.
                Carter said that the Antarctic gate was the oldest gate in the Milky Way network. I'm thinking that it's the first gate they built in the Milky Way. It's possible they dialled Pegasus. There's nothing to prove they didn't. All they had to do was to find the juice. It is possible it might have hastened its fate.
                Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Dialing other galaxies can't require too much power. The Asgard could so it with whatever device they use.

Comment

Originally posted by hyzmarca
                    Dialing other galaxies can't require too much power. The Asgard could so it with whatever device they use.
                    Yes but there is a difference. The Asgard are still here and the ancients are not. That gives the Asgard an extra 10,000 years to develop newer energy sources.

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                      Maybe they didn't forsee the need to have Gates to go to other galaxies. For one normal gates don;'t have the required power. And the Ancients had ships...really fast ones at that.
                      On the contrary. They did see the need because the stargates all have 9 Cheverons so they obviously saw the need for those when they built them.

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

Fair point...but then why have all 9 chevs and no way to make more than a few have the required power? Perhaps they only wanted a few, but didnt change the general gate design, on that of the DHD as it was easier.
                        sigpic
                        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

My basic theory on the gate addresses is that its something like an IP address, starting from most general location and proceeding to most specific (i.e. the point of origin). Only instead of having 255 possible values in each set, there are 39 (each glyph represents a numerical value/coordinate). The basic, intra-galactic addresses only use 7 coordinates; that's all they need (think a local phone number). Inter-galactic addresses require the 8th (and possibly 9th) coordinate(s) for further triangulation (like area codes and international codes).

It would make sense that in those cases, the "extra" chevron is actually at the beginning of the sequence and not the end (you'd still end the sequence of coordinates/glyphs with the point of origin).

Could it be possible that the "crystals" needed for intergalatic dialing are a combination programming/power conversion device (kind of like a chip that allows you to dial "out of network" and can increase the power levels to the gate appropriately)?

Never mind me, I'm just thinking out loud again...

Comment

Possible spoilerage below:

Spoiler:
                            The Atlantis DHD can dial 8-chevrons. How else did the ancients gate
                            to earth? We see this in the episode "Before I sleep" (or the name of the episode where they find the 10,000 year old Dr Weir in the stasis chamber).

Comment

ive always said the 9th chev. was for inter dimentinal travel think about it the ancients most advanced race ever to rome the stars. they had to have had the tech. to go to other dimentions. like the quantem mirror. the 9th chev. would indicate which dimention you where traveling too. think about it Wormholes can def transfer you to another dimention. ever see the new planet of the apes movie!?

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Perhaps the 9th chevron is for even more distant galaxies. With 8 chevrons you can only dial 40 galaxies, including your own. With 9 chevrons you can dial 1521 galaxies plus your own.

How many galaxies do the Ori rule, prey tell? We've only seen one but that doesn't mean that there aren't more.

Comment

Working...
                                X