This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk
    We know that StarGates have 9 chevrons and that the 8th chevron is used for an intergalactic connection with another Stargate but do we know exactly how many chevrons a DHD at least on the Milky way might be able to dial?
    A DHD operates a gate. A gate has nine chevrons. The most a DHD could dial is nine chevrons.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

nope....The DHD dont have neither the power the the proper Crystles(Misspell)
      so the DHD can only dial 7 chevrons(In the words of carter and MCkay)
      I found MGs site...this is what happend....I laughed
      so hard i fell backwards in my chair and hit my head....*Now has big bump on head*
      But it was worth it ....*Bows before the almighty MG*

Rotating Sig courtesy of Abydos
      Thanks to SmallTimePerson for the Atlantis Gaurdians Pic
      GW My home away from home....
      My Goal in life....Become King of games

Comment

Originally posted by Zekk
        nope....The DHD dont have neither the power the the proper Crystles(Misspell)
        so the DHD can only dial 7 chevrons(In the words of carter and MCkay)
        A modified DHD is still a DHD.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

As been said the DHD would need an extra control crystal. We know this from Atlantis. We could guess it is the same for the MW. As far as we know our gate could only dial other galaxies because we didnt have a gate.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
            As been said the DHD would need an extra control crystal. We know this from Atlantis. We could guess it is the same for the MW. As far as we know our gate could only dial other galaxies because we didnt have a gate.
            Our gate can only dial other galaxies because of the modifications O'Neill made to our Dialing computer in 'The Fifth Race'.

The program he wrote must function in a similar way to the Atlantis Intergalactic dialing control crystal.

This is the only logical explanation, because we had to bring this program with us in Point of View.
            sigpic

Comment

Interesting point!
              I found MGs site...this is what happend....I laughed
              so hard i fell backwards in my chair and hit my head....*Now has big bump on head*
              But it was worth it ....*Bows before the almighty MG*

Rotating Sig courtesy of Abydos
              Thanks to SmallTimePerson for the Atlantis Gaurdians Pic
              GW My home away from home....
              My Goal in life....Become King of games

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                Why would we asume that? Especially considering the Wraith threat present in the Pegasus Galaxy as opposed to the MW.

And again that assumes that the only StarGate in all the whole multi-intergalactic StarGate network before O'Neal made the modifications to dialing program was the one at Atlantis alone.

Why build such a vast network spanning galaxies with only one possible route to go from one galaxy to another and in basically one way trips.
                The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

Now Im not one to critise but I saw this thread on another forum I was just on, and it makes me think your doing the rounds

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk
                    Why would we asume that? Especially considering the Wraith threat present in the Pegasus Galaxy as opposed to the MW.
                    The Ancients established the gate network in Pegasus like a million years ago.

It's unlikely that the Ancients were aware of the Wraith until a few hundred years before they left, 10,000 years ago.

They would have no reason for such a safeguard when they built it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                      The Ancients established the gate network in Pegasus like a million years ago.

It's unlikely that the Ancients were aware of the Wraith until a few hundred years before they left, 10,000 years ago.

They would have no reason for such a safeguard when they built it.
                      On the contrary the Ancients seemed to have enough forsight to equip only the Atlantis gate with the ability to dial earth. My guess is that the 2 Earth Gates were the only gates also able to dial other galaxy's.

I'll bet they safeguarded a lot of their technology. They probably knew that if they disappeared there would be a fight for control over their technology.

-Turboz

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

OK...so there are a few points here.

1. In order to dial an intergalactic address and open a wormhole to that address, you need something on the order of 10x the normal power used to open a gate within the local network.

2. O'Neil made updates and changes to the SGC computers, including the addition of several local network addresses and one for the (former) Asgard homeworld.

3. A gate address for Pegasus was found in Antarctica, near the site of the original Earth DHD and gate. This seems to indicate that the original Earth DHD was capable of dialing Atlantis once it had been moved to Pegasus.

4. The DHD from the original Earth gate "died" soon after it was discovered; it is likely that this was due to its advanced age.

5. It has been explicitly mentioned that the only dialing device in the Pegasus network capable of dialing the MW network is the main dialing computer on Atlantis. However, it has also been stated that the control crystal that makes this possible could be transplanted into a different Pegasus network DHD to allow connection to the MW network.

6. It has never been actually stated that an MW DHD cannot dial an 8-chevron address, but we assume this to be the case based on the Pegasus network and the known additional power requirements.

So, we really don't know if a normal MW DHD can make an extragalactic connection or not. We assume it can't, but that's just an assumption. Evidence suggests that the Antarctic DHD was capable of 8-chevron dialing, but it hasn't been stated one way or the other. At this point, it seems safe to assume that normal unmodified MW DHD's can't do it, but the jury's still out.

Comment

Maybe they didn't forsee the need to have Gates to go to other galaxies. For one normal gates don;'t have the required power. And the Ancients had ships...really fast ones at that.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Abiron
                            Exactly. But...we have not been explicitly told in the show whether or not a Milky Way DHD can dial an 8-chevron address. Since the SGC computer did the dialing for the Asgard homeworld and for Atlantis, no DHD was needed, so from the SGC perspective it wouldn't matter.
                            Since an 8-symbol address requires more power than a DHD can generate, and requires an additional control crystal, it would seem to me that normal MW DHDs cannot dial extra-galactic addresses.
                            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                              Since an 8-symbol address requires more power than a DHD can generate, and requires an additional control crystal, it would seem to me that normal MW DHDs cannot dial extra-galactic addresses.
                              Agree with your statement, MT. Carter said in 'Frozen' that the DHD's have a limited power supply. I'm thinking that they don't use a ZPM.
                              Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                              Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                                just to add to that:
                                Pegasus Gates can't do intergalactic wormholes for two main reasons:
                                1. They lack a powersupply big enough and
                                2. They dont have the extra control crystal

Now i asume the gates in Pegasus are some 3 million years younger than the ones in the Milky way galaxy (I am assuming the ancients built the MW gate pretty quickly and they built the PG gates once they got to PG and they also spent about the same amount of time in both Galaxies)

Comment

Working...
                                X