X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Macilnar
    1) Did I say it didn't feel gravity?
    2) Upon having caffeine to wake me up and start thinking, absolutely nothing.
    3) Or you are just moving FTL in relatives terms (ie. if gravity can be negated then it is possible to travel "Faster" then light, in that since gravity slows down light then if gravity does not affect you then in fact you should be able to move faster then the light that is affected by gravity. That or I am too tiered to think straight.)
    4) Did I say it was omniscient? No I didn't so lighten up. As to what it is, it doesn’t matter since it is a 35-year-old textbook that belonged to my dad when he was in school. As to why I was stupid enough to use that as a resource, again I am too tiered to think straight. So instead of making a further fool of myself I will go to sleep and then get back to this when I am thinking straight.
    I didn't know that the speed of light can be affected by gravity.
    Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
    Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by sithsk8r
      sme with BSG they can only jump on a limited basis not sustained.
      I happen to think that seems more realistic... if... folding... space... is realistic... that is...

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
        I didn't know that the speed of light can be affected by gravity.
        Its not, per se. Large masses bend spacetime (btw, that bending IS gravity according to relativity) forcing the light to take a longer path. This has been measured by the time it takes to communicate with a satellite on the opposite side of the sun (the sun bends spacetime, so the signal takes longer than it should). But from a local perspective, light is ALWAYS moving at c.
        The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
          Its not, per se. Large masses bend spacetime (btw, that bending IS gravity according to relativity) forcing the light to take a longer path. This has been measured by the time it takes to communicate with a satellite on the opposite side of the sun (the sun bends spacetime, so the signal takes longer than it should). But from a local perspective, light is ALWAYS moving at c.
          Cool, thanks.

Comment

Err, sorry that last sentence isnt completely true...locally light is always moving at c in a vaccum.
            The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
              Err, sorry that last sentence isnt completely true...locally light is always moving at c in a vaccum.
              It's okay, everybody makes mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Macilnar
                1) Did I say it didn't feel gravity?
                2) Upon having caffeine to wake me up and start thinking, absolutely nothing.
                3) Or you are just moving FTL in relatives terms (ie. if gravity can be negated then it is possible to travel "Faster" then light, in that since gravity slows down light then if gravity does not affect you then in fact you should be able to move faster then the light that is affected by gravity. That or I am too tiered to think straight.)
                4) Did I say it was omniscient? No I didn't so lighten up. As to what it is, it doesn’t matter since it is a 35-year-old textbook that belonged to my dad when he was in school. As to why I was stupid enough to use that as a resource, again I am too tiered to think straight. So instead of making a further fool of myself I will go to sleep and then get back to this when I am thinking straight.
                Oh, um... yeah.

I... uh... didn't think I'd posted that. Navigation froze and it didn't appear and since I didn't want it to either I didn't try again...
                Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Originally posted by Caprice
                  I happen to think that seems more realistic... if... folding... space... is realistic... that is...
                  I like the fact that, more than likely, they can only do short hops because longer hops require so much time to calculate that they'd be able to travel at sub-light speeds to their destination before their computers spit out the jump coordinates.
                  So in BSG, it's not a limit of how fast they travel, but how fast they can compute a jump. Technically, they could travel from one side of the universe to the other instantaneously; it'd just take longer than the universe has existed to calculate that jump
                  Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Any word on whether physicists have any idea on how to bend space?

Comment

Yes, for about a century now.

Comment

I mean technologically. What kind of technology would be needed, what kind of energy requirements, etc. Basically what problems do we need to solve before it can be done?

Comment

You need mass to bend space. That is all. The energy requirement to create mass is 9E16J/kg.

Comment

So for the time being, that isn't happening. I see.

Comment

I've answered your question. If you want to elaborate on what you could possibly mean by "bend space" we might be able to answer better.

Comment

Cool, I wonder if little green men can answer these questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X