This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helio9
    Relativity isnt really up for debate. Time dilation isn't a theory, its a law of the universe. Going to the speed of light through brute force would require an infinite amount of energy, so...good luck.
    That's why we need to prove whether we can't go to the speed of light. We haven't explored everything. We have only been on this little planet called Earth and still we discover new things here.
    Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
    Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

So when do we give up? The amount of energy we can put into a test like that is finite, the amount required is infinite. Give me enough energy, and I'll get right on it.
      The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

So when do we give up? The amount of energy we can put into a test like that is finite, the amount required is infinite. Give me enough energy, and I'll get right on it.
        In time we will find out, it doesn't have to be in the near future. It can be 400-500 years down the road. But there's one thing that is possible spacial anamolies called wormholes.

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
          In time we will find out, it doesn't have to be in the near future. It can be 400-500 years down the road. But there's one thing that is possible spacial anamolies called wormholes.
          Dare I ask how old you are?
          The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Dare I ask how old you are?
            I'm 17.

Comment

That's why we need to prove whether we can't go to the speed of light.
              We already did. 100 years ago.
              We haven't explored everything. We have only been on this little planet called Earth and still we discover new things here.
              I really don't mean to burst your bubble but there seems no way round it. The laws of physics, in no uncertain terms, the same laws that guide our spaceprobes through the solar system that power your computer that control the burning of the sun say that you cannot so long as you have mass attain the speed of light, never mind go any faster.
              In time we will find out, it doesn't have to be in the near future. It can be 400-500 years down the road.
              Are you expecting the laws of physics to change in a few hundred years?
              But there's one thing that is possible spacial anamolies called wormholes.
              There's a new concept on a stargate board.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Sigh.

NEWSFLASH: Relativity is true, that isn't going to change. Give it up.
                Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                  There's a new concept on a stargate board.
                  not for nasa though. There was a (plan do you call them?) to make a spaceship that could make artificial wormholes to travel great distances quickly. I posted the link in another thread

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                    not for nasa though. There was a (plan do you call them?) to make a spaceship that could make artificial wormholes to travel great distances quickly. I posted the link in another thread

Yes, it must be true, it was in the movie "Event Horizon".
                    Let's all open our minds and tomorrow 2+2 will make 5. Right.

<bumps head on wall>

Comment

I'll give you that. Isn't there natural wormholes?

Comment

I think its interesting to note that the hyperspace technology on Stargate seems to be much, much faster than anything seen on startrek (short of the Q's work). The whole remise of ST:Voyager is that they're stranded on the other side of the galaxy, and yet in SG-A, the Deadalus makes regular trips between Earth and Atlantis.

Therefore, Stargate wins.
                        yep and even the goa'uld hyperdrives are faster than ST ones. a hat'ak could make it from one part of the MW galaxy to another in a few days but it takes like 150+ years for Voyager from Delta to Alpha quads which are in the same galaxy. so SG wins. even the SW hyperdrives are pretty lame. sme with BSG they can only jump on a limited basis not sustained.

Comment

Standard mass produced Goa'uld mothership hyperdrives (on Mark-I Ha'taks) max out at 56,000c. The fastest an ST ship has ever gotten under normal conditions is 9,600c and this is a top-of-the-line supership. Teh end.

Comment

The only real way to go FTL is to make so the object you are trying to get to go FTL to have a negative mass or find a way to reverse gravity and have it repel instead of attract. And that, last time I checked, cannot be done.
                            Jackson: Oh Please! Teal’c’s like one of the deepest people I know. He’s so deep. Come on! Tell em how deep you are. You’ll be lucky if you understand this.
                            Teal’c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                            Jackson: (Excited) Oh!! See?
                            O’Neill: No more beer for you.

"Nu ani Anquietas"
                            We are the Ancients

Comment

The only real way to go FTL is to make so the object you are trying to get to go FTL to have a negative mass or find a way to reverse gravity and have it repel instead of attract.
                              1) Stuff with negative mass by definition feels gravity as a repulsive force.
                              2) What will reversing gravity do?
                              3) There is no way to travel at faster than light velocities unless you're a tachyon.
                              4) "Last time you checked"? Do tell me where you checked and why this omniscient resource is so lacking that it fails to account for the continuing search for exotic matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar
                                The only real way to go FTL is to make so the object you are trying to get to go FTL to have a negative mass or find a way to reverse gravity and have it repel instead of attract.
                                1) Stuff with negative mass by definition feels gravity as a repulsive force.
                                2) What will reversing gravity do?
                                3) There is no way to travel at faster than light velocities unless you're a tachyon.
                                4) "Last time you checked"? Do tell me where you checked and why this omniscient resource is so lacking that it fails to account for the continuing search for exotic matter.
                                1) Did I say it didn't feel gravity?
                                2) Upon having caffeine to wake me up and start thinking, absolutely nothing.
                                3) Or you are just moving FTL in relatives terms (ie. if gravity can be negated then it is possible to travel "Faster" then light, in that since gravity slows down light then if gravity does not affect you then in fact you should be able to move faster then the light that is affected by gravity. That or I am too tiered to think straight.)
                                4) Did I say it was omniscient? No I didn't so lighten up. As to what it is, it doesn’t matter since it is a 35-year-old textbook that belonged to my dad when he was in school. As to why I was stupid enough to use that as a resource, again I am too tiered to think straight. So instead of making a further fool of myself I will go to sleep and then get back to this when I am thinking straight.
                                Jackson: Oh Please! Teal’c’s like one of the deepest people I know. He’s so deep. Come on! Tell em how deep you are. You’ll be lucky if you understand this.
                                Teal’c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                                Jackson: (Excited) Oh!! See?
                                O’Neill: No more beer for you.

"Nu ani Anquietas"
                                We are the Ancients

Comment

Working...
                                X