This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newtrekker
    Hyperdrives are definitely faster as they go into subspace. Warp drive on the other hand creates a subspace bubble around the ship and essentially makes the ship go partially into subspace.
    Ah... subspace... makes anything work.

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
    i think it is the hyper in it. BTW time diulation would be greater in hyper drive, meaning that you would live milenia longer than someone not in hyperdrive if you were to live at hyperdrive speed ur whole life
    Er, no. If time dilation was actually happening, the siege with the Wraith at the end of season 1 and beginning of season 2 would have been over thousands of years before the Daedalus showed up to help. Time dilation is therefore not happening.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

uhmm.. im really not sure any of yas are correct about that.. i took a Physics class in college and the teacher was a very well known Dr. of Physics and he explained once to us the theory of hyper space and warp drives from the shows "startrak and babalon 5" and he explained that hyper space was traveling faster than the speed of light (which is impossible he said of course) but if it was possible the only reason it would take you out of normal space is because you are traveling faster than the speed of light and its totally unpredictable because if your in hyper space for 5 years traveling over 50 years would has in the outside world of what we know as normal time. Now he explained that Warp speed was diffrent.. warp speed takes you from A to B by folding space and taking you through the points. which he explained was theoretically possible he showed it to us the same way that the movie "Event Horizen" showed it.. he took a piece of paper made the letter A at one side and the letter B at the other and he folded the paper and put a pen through it. unless he is incorrect which is possible too regardless of his tittle and training in the field.

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

Comment

Originally posted by tony
        uhmm.. im really not sure any of yas are correct about that.. i took a Physics class in college and the teacher was a very well known Dr. of Physics and he explained once to us the theory of hyper space and warp drives from the shows "startrak and babalon 5" and he explained that hyper space was traveling faster than the speed of light (which is impossible he said of course) but if it was possible the only reason it would take you out of normal space is because you are traveling faster than the speed of light and its totally unpredictable because if your in hyper space for 5 years traveling over 50 years would has in the outside world of what we know as normal time. Now he explained that Warp speed was diffrent.. warp speed takes you from A to B by folding space and taking you through the points. which he explained was theoretically possible he showed it to us the same way that the movie "Event Horizen" showed it.. he took a piece of paper made the letter A at one side and the letter B at the other and he folded the paper and put a pen through it. unless he is incorrect which is possible too regardless of his tittle and training in the field.
        babylon 5 and event horizon are irrelevant since we're discussing stargate and star trek. just because two different shows say they have "hyper" drives does not make them the same thing. second, physics classes are also irrelevant as this is science fiction. i dont know why people keep posting in this anyway lol, as i used gateverse and trekverse "fact" to proove which was faster earlier

Comment

[Hyperdrive]
          After watching an episode of star trek voyager I was thinking how slow warp drive was compared to hyperdrive.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
            Hyperspace is completely independent from bending spacetime. Warp isn't taking you through points either, it's like compressing the distance between two points and travelling it an less than c.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

The wormhole thing would be the fastest because you can travel to a planet in a couple seconds when it takes hours for you to get to a place in hyperdrive.

Comment

Ive got to say that hyperdrive beats a warpdrive hands down.
                Heres a question how does an improbability drive fit into this equation?
                Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                  Ive got to say that hyperdrive beats a warpdrive hands down.
                  Heres a question how does an improbability drive fit into this equation?
                  improbability drive, hitchhiker, is fastest, but completly unpredictable, unless you have a set of co-ordinates, then you may end up being some random thing.

Comment

Hyperdrive is faster. In the episdoe Enemies, Jacob said they'd travelled 4 million light years yada yada yada and that its gonna take em 125 years to come back. Call me a nerd but that makes the Ha'tak able to travel at 32,000 times the speed of light. Which i think makes it a lot faster than what warp speed is capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis Man
                      Hyperdrive is faster. In the episdoe Enemies, Jacob said they'd travelled 4 million light years yada yada yada and that its gonna take em 125 years to come back. Call me a nerd but that makes the Ha'tak able to travel at 32,000 times the speed of light. Which i think makes it a lot faster than what warp speed is capable of.
                      Yes, but in that episode there was the whole "star blowing up" thing which gave their hyperdrives an inadvertent boost.

It is still faster, of course, that's just a bad example, though.

Comment

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but it only takes Asgard ships a few minutes to reach the miky way...and ancient ships (not the basic hyperdrive ones) were fast too...As for the goa'uld ship...we can assume that the star's explosion had altered the forces in the sector and sent the ship hurtling to the other galaxy...as for getting back, the replicators modified the engine...

Hyperdrives are faster than Warp drives obviously since a type of Hyperdrive takes minutes from another galaxy where warp drive would take 300 years...

As for the speed of gate travel...well that's fastest but nobody but the Ori were able to make a giant gate to send ships through...

Comment

I think its interesting to note that the hyperspace technology on Stargate seems to be much, much faster than anything seen on startrek (short of the Q's work). The whole remise of ST:Voyager is that they're stranded on the other side of the galaxy, and yet in SG-A, the Deadalus makes regular trips between Earth and Atlantis.

Therefore, Stargate wins.
                          The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
                            I think its interesting to note that the hyperspace technology on Stargate seems to be much, much faster than anything seen on startrek (short of the Q's work). The whole remise of ST:Voyager is that they're stranded on the other side of the galaxy, and yet in SG-A, the Deadalus makes regular trips between Earth and Atlantis.

Therefore, Stargate wins.
                            It's because that in Star Trek they create a subspace bubble around the ship and therefore goes faster than light. The only similar technology is the Trans-warp drive which is frequently used by the Borg. Don't forget how Voyager returned home!!!!
                            Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                            Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by newtrekker
                              It's because that in Star Trek they create a subspace bubble around the ship and therefore goes faster than light. The only similar technology is the Trans-warp drive which is frequently used by the Borg. Don't forget how Voyager returned home!!!!
                              Thats a fair point, but the borg's transwarp drive wasnt seen doing any inter-galactic travel, only intra-galactic.
                              The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

I thought I heard in the Borg documentary on startrek.com that they did go to other galaxies. Don't quote me on this. Or it's possibly because they have plenty of civilisations to assimilate in this galaxy.
                                Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                                Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X