This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newtrekker
    I thought I heard in the Borg documentary on startrek.com that they did go to other galaxies. Don't quote me on this. Or it's possibly because they have plenty of civilisations to assimilate in this galaxy.
    Yeah, in ST, different species are much more densly packed throughout the galaxy than on stargate, so I guess that kept the Borg occupied. I've seen every ST:TNG ep, and almost every ST:V ep, and I havnt heard a think about the Borg going to other Galaxies.
    The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

this has been raised before...
      the stargate ftl is considered by the laws of physics impossible (hyperdrive, nothing can go faster than speed of light) but wrap drive is possible as your folding the universe.

Comment

Hyperdrive in Stargate actually takes the ship out of normal space, therefore those laws of physics don't actually apply, methinks.

...And yes, this has been raised before.

Comment

Alas this has been discussed previously. Here is the link:
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=17706

Comment

Ah. Thanks
            The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Well...I think both shows are cool! and which ever one could really work needs to be invented so we can start real space exploration!
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah the Stargate FTL drive is like two times faster than the Star Trek FTL drives.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter
                  Well...I think both shows are cool! and which ever one could really work needs to be invented so we can start real space exploration!
                  I agree, we can only way to prove that we can't go faster than the speed of light is to try it out.
                  Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                  Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                    Yeah the Stargate FTL drive is like two times faster than the Star Trek FTL drives.
                    At least.

Comment

just curious, would this stargate FLT drive be facon lettuce and tomato?

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                        just curious, would this stargate FLT drive be facon lettuce and tomato?
                        It's just a typo. But very good description.

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                          Or a million, but whose counting.

Comment

I agree, we can only way to prove that we can't go faster than the speed of light is to try it out.
                            Or we can just believe the same equation that explains our nuclear reactors and predicts accurately the path of the galaxies and planets.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

By making travel over such distances an easy everyday occurence, any plot regarding the isolation of Atlantis is out. It means that any plot where somebody is stranded or marooned is now out.

Basically, it means any time there is any problem at all, anywhere at any time, HUMANS can arrive in a deus ex machina fashion the way the Asgard did on SG1 from time to time. I think that makes both SG1 and SGA episodes seem less urgent, less "out on the frontier".

If they had opted for a situation similar to Star Trek where humanity had only hyperdrive as fast as the Goa'uld had, they would have preserved a much better feel for both shows. They could still have allowed the Asgard to be far faster... perhaps along the lines of the Borg with transwarp.

From a storytelling standpoint, Stargate loses.

Comment

Relativity isnt really up for debate. Time dilation isn't a theory, its a law of the universe. Going to the speed of light through brute force would require an infinite amount of energy, so...good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X