Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He means as its reintegrating after fully entering the SG on the other end, which means he's right and your wrong.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
    Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
    the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
    Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
    The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

I think that the Shield is stronger but it can be defeated more easily. Jacob/Selmak used Kull Armor to get through the shield protecting Tartarus, not to mention ancient drones which could pass through a shield with ease, but don't seem to have much more explosive power than an artillery shell see SG:A episode The Tower.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
        I'm pretty sure the Gate Shield's power is tied to the Gate itself. As long as the Stargate has power, the shield will have power. Since the Stargate can't be open without power, everytime a wormhole is established, the shield will work.
        But in Rising, even though the gate isn't open, McKay states that the shield is using power. This means that the shield isn't using power from any wormhole because there wasn't one.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
          Which do you think is the stronger of the 2, The iris or the shield

The iris is tritium, very strong and can handle a large punch, but we don't know that much bout the shield on the Atlantis gate, if its as tough as the shield that Atlantis has, then i'd rather have the shield
          Considering that virtually, the gate shield could be tied to 3 ZPMs max, working simultaneously if they had to, it's certainly a question of power source (and the capacity to produce them and reimplace the previous ones) vs material strenght over time.
          The Lantians could come with plenty of ZPMs.
          The iris has already been seen glowing red hot, which means on the brink of being destroyed definitively.
          The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

That was the old titanuim iris. But anyways they both act the same way and for the purposes of stopping matter coming through the gate they are both (by function) exactly even.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
            Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
            the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
            Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
            The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by Oranos
              But in Rising, even though the gate isn't open, McKay states that the shield is using power. This means that the shield isn't using power from any wormhole because there wasn't one.
              At that point McKay probably didn't know how the shield was powered. Either that, or Rodney was just being an ass.
              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

The iris is tritium, very strong and can handle a large punch, but we don't know that much bout the shield on the Atlantis gate, if its as tough as the shield that Atlantis has, then i'd rather have the shield

the iris is mainly made of trinium now, with a little of titanium, dunno wtf tritium is but ok....

anywho, i would much rather have an iris, the iris can keep defending teh gate no matter what, but the sheild would have to run out of power in time and thus, wouldnt be as efficient

on strength, i beleive it doesnt matter as the object that is coming threw just gets disintegrated before it can get threw i beleive..

sig made courtesy of M2W

Comment

wouldn't that be funny having the tip of a dart stuck in the middle of a closing iris until the gate shut down and the ship destroyed
                  They should show that in the show. Some darts coiuld gate to earth and they get the iris code through interrogation.

Best Stargate quote:
                  Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                  Green is your friend.

Comment

Solution, why not have both protecting the stargate

question is which one to put first, next to the event horizon
                    Arthur: O Knights of Ni. We have brought you your shrubbery. May we go now?
                    Knight of Ni: Yes, it is a good shrubbery. I like the laurels particularly. But there is one small problem....
                    Arthur: What is that?
                    Knight of Ni: We are now no longer the Knights Who Say "Ni"!
                    Other Knights of Ni: Ni! Shh! Shh!
                    Knight of Ni: We are now the Knights who say "Ekky-ekky-ekky-ekky-z'Bang, zoom-Boing, z'nourrrwringmm".
                    Other Knight of Ni: Ni!
                    Knight of Ni: Therefore, we must give you a test.
                    Arthur: What is this test, O Knights of..... Knights who 'til recently said "Ni"?
                    Knight of Ni: Firstly, you must find.... ANOTHER SHRUBBERY!!!

Comment

atlantis gate iris, shield will block the weapon that destroyed earth gate that anubis used.

Now in use. pps is at 4,929 Terawatts
                      pps = power per second
                      The power that power's the great cities of the Ancients.
                      xfire = zpm
                      [m2k] klan, and forever will be.
                      http://m2kclan.com
                      vent info: voice250.hurricanehost.com
                      port: 3785
                      P90>M4A1+AK47+Machine Gun
                      halo player and cs:s, cs:1.6, cz, cod2.
                      Save Stargate NOW!!!- http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Stargate/

Comment

An interesting question,

Although Atlantis's Gateshield seems to be the stronger of the two to a degree, it does depend on having an energy source. - If Atlantis lost all internal power, would the Gateshield still function? To ther best of my knowledge it has no dedicated power source. - By contrast the Iris on Earth's gate can be manually locked up (As seen in Lost City Part II) even when all internal power has been lost.

Of course, neither system can be completely impregnable, or how else would we have enemies sucessfully threaten either the SGC or Atlantis?
                        Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                        Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

i dont really think it matters as long as it will hold up for the 38 minutes the gate is open but any way i will have to go with the shield as long as it has enough power it will survive but the iris looks cooler
                          War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.

Comment

Hmm obviously I would ay the shield because it's only realy limitation surely is going to be power?

However I remember an episode of SG1 where Jacob Carter wearing a Kull suit walked through a similar shield that was protecting a stargate. If the same could be done with to the Atlantis shield then I would consider fitting an iris in addition to the shield for good measure.

Comment

I'm really not sure that it would be possible to have both the shield and the iris in the same place to seal the gate. But maybe some sort of structural reinforcement field similar to what the Asgard use on their ships?

Comment

What you really want is

Spoiler:
                                That device Anubis had in Prototype. If it doesn't recieve the code it stores the energy pattern in a buffer and 'call-forwards' it to another gate

Maybe a special arrangement that doesn't reintegrate the matter stream at the event horizon, but instead stores it to a buffer and scans it. If aliens, darts, bombs etc. come through, it deletes the pattern, if SGC/Atlantis personell come through, it reintegrates them at the event horizon.

Comment

Working...
                                X