Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's come close at least one other time, though, when Sokar was attacking it with his particle beam. I'm pretty sure a shield would not have been harmed. Likewise, there have been times where there has been radiation leakage coming through the iris, enough the gateroom wasn't really safe. I don't think the shield would have allowed that through.

Comment

I would say the Atlantis shield, cause it can't rust like the Iris can. But the Atlantis shield does have it's flaws. But I think they would have a back up power source like a naquadah generator to power the shield when the main power source is gone.
      Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
      Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Definitely the shield from Atlantis' gate. It's an energy field, so will pretty much stop anything (unless it's one of those weird speed things, like some Goa'uld shields). It looks pretty strong too.
        The iris has been in trouble loads:
        • It got destroyed by the black hole ('A Matter of Time'), although a black hole would probably screw with a shield too
        • Nearly got destroyed by Sokar's particle weapon ('Serpent's Song')
        • Radiation can leak through ('Chain Reaction')

The particle weapon would have no effect on a forcefield, and radiation can't leak through.

Comment

I do think that the iris is the weaker of the two as most of you do.

But consider this, we have seen shields ancient based shields defeated before by drones (i.e. Anubis' fleet) so the shield around the gate may be able to be breached too. Also a shield uses a lot of power whereas the iris does not need much at all. Well it only needs enough power to close it then it uses none to protect the base.

So I would say that the shield maybe stronger but the iris is actually a better solution.
          aka paddytehpyro

Comment

Originally posted by pyrodude
            But consider this, we have seen shields ancient based shields defeated before by drones (i.e. Anubis' fleet)
            I think the shields on Anubis' ships were still mostly Goa'uld technology, just beefed up a bit by Anubis. I think proper Ancient shields would be able to withstand pretty much anything, if they had a power source.

Comment

Guess so, still the shield hasnt been up agaist a black hole or anything so we dont know how good it really is and what its limits are. Also as you said having the shield is one thing, you need the power for it aswell.
              aka paddytehpyro

Comment

Weve seen the shield up with out power remember the storm when Atlantis getes invaded after Shepereds dissabled the genorators he puts the shield up

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Gate Shield's power is tied to the Gate itself. As long as the Stargate has power, the shield will have power. Since the Stargate can't be open without power, everytime a wormhole is established, the shield will work.
                  Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I'm going to say the shield

remember rising the darts went thought the gate with the jumper and hit the shield

i don't think the iris would had held against two darts
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

or colesd as quikly

Comment

Originally posted by Aroura-Gate
                        or closed as quickly
                        wouldn't that be funny having the tip of a dart stuck in the middle of a closing iris until the gate shut down and the ship destroyed
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                            i don't think the iris would had held against two darts
                            I don't see why not - the iris stops things from reconstructing properly, so it wouldn't actually feel the force of the two darts speeding into the gate.

Comment

First off the Iris is posisened nano meters in front of the event horizzon. so yeah it would

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                                wouldn't that be funny having the tip of a dart stuck in the middle of a closing iris until the gate shut down and the ship destroyed
                                It couldn't happen. The entire dart has to enter the gate before it reintegrates.

See 38 minutes, Atlantis season 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X