X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
    What you really want is

Spoiler:
    That device Anubis had in Prototype. If it doesn't recieve the code it stores the energy pattern in a buffer and 'call-forwards' it to another gate

Yeah. Im suprised that it hasnt been used yet.
    aka paddytehpyro

Comment

I'd have to go with the shield. It doesn't seem as likely to over heat.
      Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
      The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
      I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
      A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
      That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
      Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
      Caboose: They could be worse?
      Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

An Ancient designed shield has GOT to be stronger than a little thin piece of metal. No matter how strong the metal is, these are the Gatebuilders were talking about here.
        www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Worse case scenario, the Ancients should have the capacity to lock addresses out entirely. We know they did this in "Before I Sleep," although we don't know how lengthy of a process it actually is.

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith Scientist
            What you really want is

Spoiler:
            That device Anubis had in Prototype. If it doesn't recieve the code it stores the energy pattern in a buffer and 'call-forwards' it to another gate

Maybe a special arrangement that doesn't reintegrate the matter stream at the event horizon, but instead stores it to a buffer and scans it. If aliens, darts, bombs etc. come through, it deletes the pattern, if SGC/Atlantis personell come through, it reintegrates them at the event horizon.
            This is theoretically impossible, because if they are stored as energy they cant technically just be deleted.

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
            Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
            the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
            Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
            The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak
              Definitely the shield from Atlantis' gate. It's an energy field, so will pretty much stop anything (unless it's one of those weird speed things, like some Goa'uld shields). It looks pretty strong too.
              The iris has been in trouble loads:
              • It got destroyed by the black hole ('A Matter of Time'), although a black hole would probably screw with a shield too
              • Nearly got destroyed by Sokar's particle weapon ('Serpent's Song')
              • Radiation can leak through ('Chain Reaction')

The particle weapon would have no effect on a forcefield, and radiation can't leak through.
              True. Plus, the Ancients built the stargate and the gate shield, so its possible that the two technologies are connected in some way. The Earth Iris was simply tacked on to the stargate. However in regard to the sheild,its possible and likely that the shield rests closer to the event horizon than the Iris becauese it is composed of energy instead of a concrete substance.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger82
                Worse case scenario, the Ancients should have the capacity to lock addresses out entirely. We know they did this in "Before I Sleep," although we don't know how lengthy of a process it actually is.
                OR instead of operating a blacklist, they could simply operate a whitelist - IE only approved gates can connect. That way the enemy would never know which gates they could connect from and thus wouldn't risk the thought of hitting the shield.

-T

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

How about what happned when Jacob stepped through Anubis' gate shield with the Kull suit on?

I bet that wouldn't have been possbible with an iris

Comment

I think the iris because it won't failure if it looses power.
                    I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

Originally posted by Harekin
                      This is theoretically impossible, because if they are stored as energy they cant technically just be deleted.
                      Their energy patterns could be thrown into a black hole somehow, that would be close enough to deletion.
                      Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                      Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                      -Audioslave

Comment

I dont know, but what if the shield runs out of power then there is no shield but sg1's shield uses no power so I think sg1 shield is better and if it gets destroyed we could make another one fairly fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor
                          How about what happned when Jacob stepped through Anubis' gate shield with the Kull suit on?

I bet that wouldn't have been possbible with an iris
                          Who is to say a Kull suit could traverse an Ancient gate shield?

Splat much?

As for power concerns, the shield could probably draw power directly off the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by plaw15
                            I dont know, but what if the shield runs out of power then there is no shield but sg1's shield uses no power so I think sg1 shield is better and if it gets destroyed we could make another one fairly fast.
                            I say, Atlantis's is better. Its ancient, but since the SGC's iris doesnt run off of power, wait, then how does the hand think that Walter touches affect it? it must run off of some power to open and close it.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

There's a manual iris control thing so if power does get cut some how you can still close the iris manually.

Comment

Working...
                              X