Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What personal weapons did the Ancients have? (poss spoilers, Atlantis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about white for the ancients, although they do have a bit of a blue vibe.

Owen Macri

Comment

I still say bluish-green...

I AM SUPREME COMMANDER THOR

Comment

I would go for the bluish, not so much the green, green seems more Wraith to me.

Owen Macri

Comment

Not sure if anyone but us has noticed, Owen, but I think we're starting to get a little off topic.

I AM SUPREME COMMANDER THOR

Comment

Oh ya, but I think that we are still alright to talk about it untill somebody complains.

Owen Macri

Comment

I think they would have personal weapons. They have everything else that fits in. Just think of the puddle jumpers. If the ancients were flying around in jumpers, if they wanted to get out and explore around (especially with the wraith lurking about) wouldn't they need to arm themselves? Also, the puddle jumper came equiped with that life signs detector, a very tactical piece of equipment.. All signs point to the ancients using an "away team" style of exploration on at least some planets, so weapons would be required.

As for the Asgard, i don't think they are the race to look at when trying to find an example here. They are very small and frail, and are not the type who would be making use of personal weapons. Ancients on the other hand, were just like us.

Comment

That is a very good point.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Tain
                  I think they would have personal weapons. They have everything else that fits in. Just think of the puddle jumpers. If the ancients were flying around in jumpers, if they wanted to get out and explore around (especially with the wraith lurking about) wouldn't they need to arm themselves?
                  Arm themselves for what? The ancients were supposedly the first sentient race in the Milky Way, and possibly the universe, or that's what we've been led to believe in the series. The ancients have the most powerful technology that we've seen, or that's what we've been led to believe in the series.

So why are they arming themselves? Are they a war-like civilization? Everything in the series seems to indicate that they are not. Who would they be fighting, bacteria?

Also, the puddle jumper came equiped with that life signs detector, a very tactical piece of equipment.. All signs point to the ancients using an "away team" style of exploration on at least some planets, so weapons would be required.
                  You're failing to understand that the ancients were colonizing and 'seeding' planets with life. Having life signs detector on their shuttles would be a needed piece of equipment so they could see if their work is actually paying off.

As for the Asgard, i don't think they are the race to look at when trying to find an example here. They are very small and frail, and are not the type who would be making use of personal weapons.
                  You'd think being small and frail would mean that they should have personal weapons because they can't properly defend themselves if attacked by a tiger, or even a house cat

Ancients on the other hand, were just like us.
                  They were not like us at all. The series has pointed this fact out time and time again, and yet people don't pay attention so it flies right over their heads.
                  The ancients are more advanced than us. Not just technologically, and not just biologically, but culturally and morally as well.
                  The ancients are only like humans in appearance. Otherwise, they're completely alien to us in every which way you can imagine.

Bah, personal weapons... They had personal shields. If you have a personal shield on, no weapon can harm you right? A good defense is the best offense.
                  Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                    Originally posted by Tain
                    As for the Asgard, i don't think they are the race to look at when trying to find an example here. They are very small and frail, and are not the type who would be making use of personal weapons.
                    You'd think being small and frail would mean that they should have personal weapons because they can't properly defend themselves if attacked by a tiger, or even a house cat
                    Well, in all fairness the Asgard did look quite similar to us before as seen in "Revelations" but due to their method of controlled mutation they became rather.......weedy. but chances are they may not have needed them due to their uber technology being much better than anything in the milky way or their own galaxy in the past when they were similar to us in appearance. and now their overconfidence in their technology leading to the struggle with the replicators, the rest as they say is history.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

I don't believe that this is to big of a problem, it should take thousands of years at least before there bodies degrade to a point were they can no longer function.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                        I don't believe that this is to big of a problem, it should take thousands of years at least before there bodies degrade to a point were they can no longer function.

Owen Macri
                        Well it was implied that they have been using it for well over a thousand years. given they haven't been able to sexually reproduce for 1000 years, so they must've been using it for much longer than that. there's also no telling how long they've been using the process and how long the major side-effects take to come to the surface.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

the asgard should alter themselves geneticaly so that they can asexualy reproduce, then we get to see an asgard split in half into two asgards, that would be pretty cool.

Owen Macri

Comment

Another thought with regards to weapons and superior races in general, and may be also related to good/bad guys.

The Asgard seem to rely on one big weapon, that being the beam out (Thors Chariot is a good example). It has never been made clear if the people/objects are destroyed or relocated, but it's definately a big weapon. We've never seen an Asgard with a gun. The Nox relied on their mind powers to hide themselves, and relocated anybody they didn't want arround. I assume, though, that if they wanted to they could kill with those same powers. The ascended Ancients can, and do, kill with their powers, Oma on Keb is proof of that. And, unless a room full of blasters turns up, the Atlantis Ancients only used fixed base weapons.

All the superior races marked as good guys, with the exception of the Tok'ra who are really an offshoot of the Goa'uld, use large weapons for defence, while the bad guys are all bent on conquest and rely on large armies and small arms. It is, after all, difficult to invade a planet after you've turned it to a smoking cinder.

So perhaps there are no hand weapons to find in Atlantis.
                            sigpic

Comment

That is a possibilty, but with the Nox and the Asgard, they don't realy have a need for weapons. The Nox have their mind powers, and they also aren't bugged by bad guys, because they burried there gate, and they usually live in those cool flying cities. The Asgard don't normally leave thier chairs, and they are smaller than other races, and there physical strength is far less than that of thier enemies, so to have big honkin' space guns is the logical course of action for thier race.

With the ancients however, they are physically abled, and they were experimenting with meny things in the pegasus galaxy, and then the Wraith popped up. It would be incredibly naive for the ancients to not, have some kind of hand gun. Or at least make one when the Wraith appeared.

Owen Macri

Comment

But if all they did was dig in and try to defend the planets they lived on would they have got involved in hand to hand combat? It seem to me that as soon as the Wraith got the upper hand the surviving Ancients bugged out through the gate. Were there enough Ancients about that they could have formed armies? A hundred Ancients with hand guns arn't going to have much luck against a hive ship full of Wraith. They never seemed to have gone on the offensive, just defended until they had to evacuate.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X