Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add another leg to the discussion here, has our experiences of our interactions with other posters made us more cynical and less trusting of others?

For me, unless I have actually met somebody and spoken to them face to face, I tend to take what others say about themselves with a large pinch of salt. When I interact with others I use a host of non-verbal clues, such as body language, eye contact and so on to help me judge a persons truthfulness. We all do. On the telephone I can at least use voice pattern and timbre. On the internet, though, all those clues are missing. So I find myself thinking "Yeah, right..." a lot more than I probably should when I'm talking to others over the web.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee View Post
      To add another leg to the discussion here, has our experiences of our interactions with other posters made us more cynical and less trusting of others?

For me, unless I have actually met somebody and spoken to them face to face, I tend to take what others say about themselves with a large pinch of salt. When I interact with others I use a host of non-verbal clues, such as body language, eye contact and so on to help me judge a persons truthfulness. We all do. On the telephone I can at least use voice pattern and timbre. On the internet, though, all those clues are missing. So I find myself thinking "Yeah, right..." a lot more than I probably should when I'm talking to others over the web.
      I think that, for me, it's not so much a matter of being more cynical than in real life as it is a matter of how the information from others is presented and often more importantly, what they're hoping to get from it. The vast majority of people I come into contact with online, I'm happy to accept at face value. For some though, I get a feeling. Yeah, not very scientific, I know, but when you consider how much of real life knowledge comes from hunches and gut feeling, maybe it's to be expected.
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

All of the Moderators are my socks.

True story.

Comment

DUDE!

that was supposed to be a secret
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I take the more unbelievable stuff with a grain of salt. If someone tells me what country they live in or whatever I'll believe it but if they told me that they are one of the top script writers of all time I'd be like, "Good for you!" (*to self*) "Yeah right."

Comment

Originally posted by syfygyrl View Post
              I take the more unbelievable stuff with a grain of salt. If someone tells me what country they live in or whatever I'll believe it but if they told me that they are one of the top script writers of all time I'd be like, "Good for you!" (*to self*) "Yeah right."
              I wrote the script to "Gone with the Wind". It's true. I'm 107 years old and live in a castle outside Minsk. I have forty-seven ex-husbands and a dog name Balooga. My swimming pool plays host to Shamu when he need a vacation. I was the originator of the idea of breathing. I also invented ice cream and the common cold. All of this is factual and accurate.
              Spoiler:

Except for the part about the dog. His name is really Charlie. But I thought "How many people have a dog named Charlie? I think I'll make up a better name."
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by syfygyrl View Post
                It all comes down to the believability of what they're telling me in the end.
                Going on about being a winner of some Olympic sport? Yeah, I'll ask about it out of curiosity, but believing it? Not so much.
                You have a dog? Cool, most people do, so now problem there.
                Your next door neighbour is Christian Bale? I'd like his autograph please.
                You're a drug addict, you lost your parents in a car crash and you live with an abusive uncle that sells your body for alcohol? I will give you sympathy, but if it's true, call the police love, instead of posting your story here.

Those are actually things people have said to me. The one that won the Olympic sport, I believe she said it was a bronze medal in Judo, actually went as far as to photoshop her face on the actual winner
                Some people really go to far in all this, wanting sympathy/respect/attention for fake causes.
                I get that they want people to like them, but really, how does lying help?
                Someone always finds out sooner or later and when you're caught, no one is going to like you.
                │▌║█▌││║█ █║│██│║║
                .Browncoat.Gater.Trekkie.
                Aftermath Lyall 'Bean' Benedict New Seasons

Comment

Originally posted by RubixCube View Post
                  Going on about being a winner of some Olympic sport? Yeah, I'll ask about it out of curiosity, but believing it? Not so much.
                  You're a drug addict, you lost your parents in a car crash and you live with an abusive uncle that sells your body for alcohol? I will give you sympathy, but if it's true, call the police love, instead of posting your story here.

Those are actually things people have said to me. The one that won the Olympic sport, I believe she said it was a bronze medal in Judo, actually went as far as to photoshop her face on the actual winner
                  Some people really go to far in all this, wanting sympathy/respect/attention for fake causes.
                  Someone always finds out sooner or later and when you're caught, no one is going to like you.
                  Wow, seriously? People actually told you those things? I've had people say one or two things that I seriously suspect weren't true but that's just.........hardcore.

I think that a lot of them have self esteem issues (Not that that justifies it.) & they're afraid that people won't like them for who they are. And then, of course, there are the people who get a kick out of watching us fall for their lies.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
                    All of the Moderators are my socks.
                    What about Darren?

Definitely.
                    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

WOW This thread is kind of scary

Originally posted by RubixCube View Post

First bold bit - that's just wrong, not only are you likely to get caught out in the end but it's upsetting and insulting to people who have actually be through something like that - to think you can write some thing like that if you don't know how it feels will always come back and bite you (well I think so anyway)

Second bold bit - now that's just stupid, if you're going to do something like that aim B.I.G.G.E.R go for GOLD!!!

Me? I'm not clever enough to get away with anything like that - I've got the worst memory going and can't lie to save my life - if I even attempted to I'd be called on it before I even finished typing!!
                      sigpic
                      Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

A few days ago I would have said 'no'. Unfortunately in the meantime I learned that certain person - simple acquaintance, not someone I'd call 'friend' by any stretch, but nevertheless someone I was looking up to and had great respect for - apparently enjoys making fun & insulting others behind their back, so now I'm feeling kinda bitter and very disappointed. It's the first time something like that ever happened to me so it's not enough to make me cynical, but less trusting? Yes. And as I said, very disappointed.

Thankfully I'm quite certain that friends I've made online are truely trustworthy, and I hope that with their help I'll get my mojo back soon.
                        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                        sigpic
                        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                          A few days ago I would have said 'no'. Unfortunately in the meantime I learned that certain person - simple acquaintance, not someone I'd call 'friend' by any stretch, but nevertheless someone I was looking up to and had great respect for - apparently enjoys making fun & insulting others behind their back, so now I'm feeling kinda bitter and very disappointed. It's the first time something like that ever happened to me so it's not enough to make me cynical, but less trusting? Yes. And as I said, very disappointed.

Thankfully I'm quite certain that friends I've made online are truely trustworthy, and I hope that with their help I'll get my mojo back soon.
                          It's not me, is it?

By the way, does any else think that Petra is a moron? ..... *remembers who he was replying to* Oh crap.

[What I said above should not be taken seriously in any way and it was not inted as an insult]
                          sigpic

Comment

*Gives Petra some chocolate* That always helps.
                            sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Chocolate is good for restoring mojo
                              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                                It's not me, is it?
                                No, it's not...unless you want to tell me something? Confession is good for the soul, y'know

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                                *Gives Petra some chocolate* That always helps.
                                Yay for chocolate! *hugs Janus*

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                                Chocolate is good for restoring mojo
                                Ah, chocolate is good for everything.

Thanks guys, I didn't expect such support. My mojo's already perking up, and you guys are awesome.
                                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                                sigpic
                                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Working...
                                X