This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SeaBee View Post
    Harder to spot are the fake lifers, who only have one story to remember. How do you know that the beautiful asian girl in Indonesia you have been talking to isn't actually a spotty teen boy living in his parents basement in Boston?
    You do know that I'm not an actual Lemming, right? Living in a fictional city with a fictional character as my owner.

Just so we're clear.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post

Most of the stuff we discuss is so completely trivial on the scale of real issues, that it doesn't matter. Unless my love of Zelenka is somehow really, really important to you. Which would be sad, I think.
      or they're people that 'get off' playing puppet master.

There are people here that have multiple identities to play role play games. No big deal. I have a 'normal' account that's never posted so that I can test what your average user sees. It's used to test settings and the such.

There are people on this forum that play a role online, they may be a girl living in Texas, but online they're a boy from canada. Maybe it's a safety thing, maybe it's a need they have, whatever.

I also know - not on this forum but in general - of people that have changed their identities to escape their past. for example, some members of the 'save daniel jackson' made such a mark on the fandom, that they really weren't welcome on some forums. so a few of them abandoned their old identities and made new ones, because they didn't want to be ostracized.

The biggest issue we have are those puppetmastering to make trouble, to bully others, to gang up on others, or to circumvent moderation. Those are malicious socks, and we really don't have much use for them.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        You do know that I'm not an actual Lemming, right? Living in a fictional city with a fictional character as my owner.

Just so we're clear.
        That's just . . . shocking. I was so sure you were actually a lemming. Obviously a brilliant one, since you can use a computer. . .
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

must wear herself out running back and forth to hit the keys
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            must wear herself out running back and forth to hit the keys

There is a type of Sock puppet that has not been mentioned. One that I have. I don't know if sky knows, but one of the Mods is aware of this. Basically I decided to make a sock puppet "sockie" to see which of my online friends could spot it. So far only two have been able to find sockie. Right now Sockie is on a secret mission
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post

There is a type of Sock puppet that has not been mentioned. One that I have. I don't know if sky knows, but one of the Mods is aware of this. Basically I decided to make a sock puppet "sockie" to see which of my online friends could spot it. So far only two have been able to find sockie. Right now Sockie is on a secret mission
              you made it to obvouis that it was you or at least someone who already knew the forum. and considering sky is the forum manager she knows.
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                you made it to obvouis that it was you or at least someone who already knew the forum. and considering sky is the forum manager she knows.
                Well you know some people lurk on the forum for ever before they start posting....Oh and if anyone thinks they found Sockie, PM me...don't let the secret out. It'll jeopardize Sockie's secret mission.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                  Well you know some people lurk on the forum for ever before they start posting....Oh and if anyone thinks they found Sockie, PM me...don't let the secret out. It'll jeopardize Sockie's secret mission.
                  considering i reported the PM you sent confessing it was you. .... plus you blew it here http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...1#post11742308

<snip>
                  and if anyone is going to attack me with my past don't bother i have confessd my sins to sky. i can't prove that it wasn't all me but it's the burden i carry.
                  Last edited by Skydiver; 19 October 2010, 05:30 PM.
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

You reported me? You just gave the mods needless extra work. Socks aren't against the rules as far as I know. And I told Tame before Sockie was even made.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      The biggest issue we have are those puppetmastering to make trouble, to bully others, to gang up on others, or to circumvent moderation. Those are malicious socks, and we really don't have much use for them.
                      *snorks*
                      there's a term that should come in capital letters, maybe as a band name or the name of a terribly fearsome enemy: The Malicious Socks!
                      mwahahahahah!
                      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                        *snorks*
                        there's a term that should come in capital letters, maybe as a band name or the name of a terribly fearsome enemy: The Malicious Socks!
                        mwahahahahah!
                        That would be a great band name!

"Now presenting! Athletic and the Malicious Socks!"
                        sigpic
                        My Stories: FFdotNet
                        My Stories AO3
                        Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

The difficulty with controlling the puppetry is describing the line that separates fun socks from malicious socks. At which point do you say "That person is harmless" or "This poster is malicious"? It all comes down to the observer's view on the subject.

Personally, I feel that anybody who creates multiple accounts to substansiate their online personna, and uses them to deceive others into believing that the lives and people they interact with are real, is acting maliciously and has no place on GateWorld, but that is my personal opinion and many others will not agree with me.
                          Last edited by SeaBee; 20 October 2010, 03:11 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

This thread has been pretty informative and interesting to read.
                            I'd never heard of sock puppets before coming to gw. I can't understand the point in creating another account just so you can have an agreeable conversation with youself; some people have too much time on their hands I guess.
                            The whole pretending to die is really disturbing. I've never heard of that before this thread. If you don't want to talk to people on a forum anymore just don't go there or don't sign in; I don't get why anyone would fake their own death on the internet.
                            The only thing I don't always tell the truth about on the internet is my real name. Part of the reason is for security I guess but mostly its because I really don't like it lol and I usually tell people the truth if I feel comfortable. I usually just use a version of my name that I also use in RL. I think the only place where I actually use my whole name is on facebook. I'm usually pretty honest, sometimes almost too honest about myself lol (which I know can be a bad thing). I don't think I could ever pretend to be someone else, thats the main reason I can't really RP even if I want to, I just can't really get into playing a role other than myself. I can act silly, which I do a lot at times in certain places, but thats about it. Pretending to be someone else on a regular basis must get pretty confusing and I think its a bit strange(I'm not talking about RPing in a game with this comment btw)
                            Last edited by VampyreWraith; 20 October 2010, 05:36 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

The thing is that nobody wants to post their real data , or talk about personal things there are cases of people have where attacked in Real Life for their online ideas , so you will never see me posting my real age and location.
                              Spoiler:
                              But if you really wont to know i am a 6 years old girl from Spain

do i need to quote myself
                              Spoiler:
                              so you will never see me posting my real age and location.

sigpic
                              Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                              StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                              GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post

Just so we're clear.
                                I figured it was something like that. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                X