Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know-they've written a song about this. . .

sigpic
    My Stories: FFdotNet
    My Stories AO3
    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

But seriously, aside from the funny video. . .

I think that the nature of the internet provides a great deal of confidentiality--should a person choose to hide themselves, they can.

However, it also seems to have provided a HUGE canvas for people to create not only alternate egos and characters, but also a place for them to abandon common social mores and embrace instead a persona who is willing and able to be as rude, and crude, and cruel as possible. It's like that mask of the internet has disabled people's common civility.

I also see people forming friendships with friends of friends (like on Facebook or blogs) until they surround themselves with a virtual social network that is a far cry from real people relating in a real way. I don't know about anyone else--I've met some great people here on GW (who have since been confirmed as real people outside of GW )--but my own girlfriends and I would much rather be hanging around together than sitting in front of a keyboard chatting. There's always that possibility that the person you're typing with isn't who you think they are, and that negates real trust.
      sigpic
      My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
        But seriously, aside from the funny video. . .

I think that the nature of the internet provides a great deal of confidentiality--should a person choose to hide themselves, they can.

However, it also seems to have provided a HUGE canvas for people to create not only alternate egos and characters, but also a place for them to abandon common social mores and embrace instead a persona who is willing and able to be as rude, and crude, and cruel as possible. It's like that mask of the internet has disabled people's common civility.

I also see people forming friendships with friends of friends (like on Facebook or blogs) until they surround themselves with a virtual social network that is a far cry from real people relating in a real way. I don't know about anyone else--I've met some great people here on GW (who have since been confirmed as real people outside of GW )--but my own girlfriends and I would much rather be hanging around together than sitting in front of a keyboard chatting. There's always that possibility that the person you're typing with isn't who you think they are, and that negates real trust.
        Yes, there's the ability to be cruel but I've also met a hell of a lot of people that are just as willing to be kind. In fact, I've found that it is sometimes "easier" to be kind online, perhaps because of that lack of face to face contact, you're free to be as kind as you like without fear that you might be humiliated. And just as you don't really know people online, I think it's just as possible to not know people in real life either. How often have we, after someone we know has done something memorably douchebaggy, have we said "It's like I never really knew them at all"?

For me, I have a lot more friends online than I do in RL, but then again, online, I have friends from all over the world, people I might never meet otherwise. It's always going to be a gamble.
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

i never knew about this dramatic death thing some people do untill i just read it on this thread and its disturbing to say the least. i would like to know whats so amusing about pretending to die.
          sigpic
          The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by chrono trigger View Post
            i never knew about this dramatic death thing some people do untill i just read it on this thread and its disturbing to say the least. i would like to know whats so amusing about pretending to die.
            cause then you can sit back and see what people say about you and if your missed or not. some people need that reasurence
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
              Yes, there's the ability to be cruel but I've also met a hell of a lot of people that are just as willing to be kind. In fact, I've found that it is sometimes "easier" to be kind online, perhaps because of that lack of face to face contact, you're free to be as kind as you like without fear that you might be humiliated. And just as you don't really know people online, I think it's just as possible to not know people in real life either. How often have we, after someone we know has done something memorably douchebaggy, have we said "It's like I never really knew them at all"?

For me, I have a lot more friends online than I do in RL, but then again, online, I have friends from all over the world, people I might never meet otherwise. It's always going to be a gamble.
              I agree somewhat--it's true that there are some genuine people on line--I'm just saying that it's dangerous to limit oneself to only relationships online. I know a lot of people who have done this, and it's been detrimental in other facets of their lives. And yes, there are lame-brained people in "real life" too. it's just easier to weed them out if you can judge their personalities not just from their words and language, but also from the "vibe" you get when you are with them.

It's like sarcasm. I don't often catch sarcasm on line. But I can always take note of it from people I'm talking to in person.
              sigpic
              My Stories AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                cause then you can sit back and see what people say about you and if your missed or not. some people need that reasurence
                i think they need therapy not reasurence.
                sigpic
                The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

From reading this thread (Very informative.) it seems to me that these "sock puppets" have low self-esteem & use various methods (i.e. dying, getting really sick) to get people to feel sorry for them & thus build themselves up.

I never realized it was this much of a problem in the online community. I knew it happened but it always seems kind of far away & distant until you learn about it on the forums you frequent.

Comment

But for the most part, what would be the point of having a "fake identity" on Gateworld?

So, I post that I love SGU and that my favorite character on SGA is Zelenka, but REALLY, I can't stand SGU and my favorite character on SGA is Todd the Wraith? What would be the point?

Most of the stuff we discuss is so completely trivial on the scale of real issues, that it doesn't matter. Unless my love of Zelenka is somehow really, really important to you. Which would be sad, I think.
                    sigpic
                    Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                      But for the most part, what would be the point of having a "fake identity" on Gateworld?
                      It gives someone a thrill to know something you don't? To have you unknowingly "sucked" into their little scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by syfygyrl View Post
                        It gives someone a thrill to know something you don't? To have you unknowingly "sucked" into their little scheme?
                        But the stakes are so ridiculously low, why bother?

"I'm actually a 17 year old man, by the way, and a redhead. Everything you thought about me is wrong."

How does that affect my views on the presence-or-absence of a musical montage in the next episode of SGU?
                        sigpic

Comment

"I'm actually a 17 year old man, by the way, and a redhead. Everything you thought about me is wrong."

How does that affect my views on the presence-or-absence of a musical montage in the next episode of SGU?
                          Alas, I am not one of them so I cannot tell you exactly why they do it (Actually that's a good thing.). But it shouldn't affect your views on the musical montage. I hope.

Comment

Muliple accounts to agree with eachother. I think Sky said that...that way it looks like there are many people that hate the musical montages. Thus why I rarely post on topic anymore. Join us, off topic/games posters have cookies!!
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                              Muliple accounts to agree with eachother. I think Sky said that...that way it looks like there are many people that hate the musical montages. Thus why I rarely post on topic anymore. Join us, off topic/games posters have cookies!!
                              What, you have cookies? What kind of cookies?
                              sigpic

Comment

What, you have cookies? What kind of cookies?
                                Um...totally not poisoned cookies....

Maybe you should get acquainted to off topic rituals and traditions first

Anyway....back to the topic at hand.....
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X