This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webxro View Post
    The thing is that nobody wants to post their real data , or talk about personal things there are cases of people have where attacked in Real Life for their online ideas , so you will never see me posting my real age and location.
    Spoiler:
    But if you really wont to know i am a 6 years old girl from Spain

do i need to quote myself
    I can understand that; I don't think anyone should give out their address or phone number in a post or anything. I don't even share my aim or my email address with many people. I'm just not too worried about people knowing that I'm female or my age or the city I live in; but I live in a city with over 8 million people so its a bit easier to be open with that kind of stuff i guess than if someone comes from a small town or something. My RL friends have a hard enough time trying to contact me when i don't want to socialize with them so I'm not overly worried about random people on the internet finding me since I don't give out that kind of information where it would be easy. Being vague is one thing, that I understand that completely; but pretending to be a 17 yr old female when your really a 40yr old dude is not cool and very creepy.
    sigpic

Comment

I have to say I didn't read Skydiver's post in the Fun & Games section for ages as I thought it was about

My own stupidity sometimes amazes me too.

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
        This thread has been pretty informative and interesting to read.
        I'd never heard of sock puppets before coming to gw. I can't understand the point in creating another account just so you can have an agreeable conversation with youself; some people have too much time on their hands I guess.
        The whole pretending to die is really disturbing. I've never heard of that before this thread. If you don't want to talk to people on a forum anymore just don't go there or don't sign in; I don't get why anyone would fake their own death on the internet.
        The only thing I don't always tell the truth about on the internet is my real name. Part of the reason is for security I guess but mostly its because I really don't like it lol and I usually tell people the truth if I feel comfortable. I usually just use a version of my name that I also use in RL. I think the only place where I actually use my whole name is on facebook. I'm usually pretty honest, sometimes almost too honest about myself lol (which I know can be a bad thing). I don't think I could ever pretend to be someone else, thats the main reason I can't really RP even if I want to, I just can't really get into playing a role other than myself. I can act silly, which I do a lot at times in certain places, but thats about it. Pretending to be someone else on a regular basis must get pretty confusing and I think its a bit strange(I'm not talking about RPing in a game with this comment btw)

I think when I was first online, about a bagillion years ago, I used my real last name and very quickly scrubbed all references to it, preferring to go by a handle that's stuck with me for, wow, I guess almost a decade now, becoming a form of identity online, something that's found, in some form, everywhere I end up. Other than removing details like last name and other identifying/locating features, the rest of me is, well, me. It would be weird to be someone else, I think.
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
          you have learned the truth of the internet. you may have a donut
          The one with extra chocolate for me, please.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
            I think when I was first online, about a bagillion years ago, I used my real last name and very quickly scrubbed all references to it, preferring to go by a handle that's stuck with me for, wow, I guess almost a decade now, becoming a form of identity online, something that's found, in some form, everywhere I end up. Other than removing details like last name and other identifying/locating features, the rest of me is, well, me. It would be weird to be someone else, I think.
            I've been online for about 13yrs now lol and for pretty much all of those yrs I've always used handles involving space or vampyres(always spelled with a "y" lol) and still use one of the first email addresses I ever had. I hardly ever use my real last name, I use either the first letter of it or a shortened form of it if I have to.
            sigpic

Comment

[deleted because nobody would approach me if it would read this ]
              Last edited by webxro; 20 October 2010, 10:20 AM.
              sigpic
              Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
              StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
              GW member infractions : 1

Comment

<Removed at Webxbro's request.>

Did you just give me a late warning.
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 October 2010, 11:49 AM. Reason: snipped requote.
                no means no, and so does pepper spray
                Sig by The Carpenter
                sigpic

Comment

No ,i didn't , why would i be mean to a Stargate fan .
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
                  StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
                  GW member infractions : 1

Comment

You know, everyone should be aware of the danger the internet is. Both to your own privacy and as well to the fact that it can be used to "mislead" innocent/good people.

However, one shouldn't be getting all paranoid, or scared or whatever. It's just like RL, a few bad apples are sucking the fun out of it for the rest. I, myself, have had problems with both my own privacy being violated and being misled, I also have had problems with both the bad apples and the good people. So IMHO it's just like RL. Being carefull is good, but I am here to have fun, and talk to other people. Have a discussion and enjoy the banter. Also to make some virtual friends. I think we should remember that. Or at least I try to remember that.
                    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by carmencatalina View Post
                      That's just . . . shocking. I was so sure you were actually a lemming. Obviously a brilliant one, since you can use a computer. . .
                      It's a challenge...

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      must wear herself out running back and forth to hit the keys
                      Excercise - I'm one fit lemming.

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                      Right now Sockie is on a secret mission
                      To find the sock-monster?
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        It's a challenge...
                        I tried imagining that. I regret it now.
                        A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

people who hide behind the internet are such phonies. you know what - man up to yourself. if you're a loser, then don't try to be someone else. how about trying to change the way you feel about yourself, and when that happens, maybe some other people will change the way they feel about you too.
                          i've never understood the need to create more than one account. if you seriously need to share your feelings from another name, instead of your own, you're only lying to yourself. be who you want to be. if you think someone's an idiot. just say it. if you think that movie sucked. tell them. if you think conservative republicans are the downfall of america, preach it. be a real person, and defend your decisions and opinions.

also, the fake death thing? seriously? this is how you get attention? get a life. seriously. get a life. go outside. if your life is that desperately bad that you need to fake death on the INTERNET, you need to step away from the computer, and go get some help.

it blows my mind the way the internet perverts people.

and people who are afraid to share too much information. c'mon. it's out there. people can find it if they want. and the more you hide, the more people will want to find out about you.

and, why hide? what's the purpose? Are you afraid someone is going to come to your house, murder you in your sleep and steal your nintendo?
                          that's DUMB.

Look. It doesn't matter. here i am. my name is Dan. I live in Tennessee.
                          Here's my facebook: http://www.facebook.com/danielphelps
                          Here's my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rattleandhum/
                          Here's my blog: http://legomyphoto.wordpress.com/
                          Here's my IM: a Dan of Action

(no, seriously, go to my flickr and check out my photography, and my blog to check out my LEGO 365 photo project).

It's me. I'm here. Ask Morbo.

I've got nothing to hide, and nothing to hide bhind.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee View Post
                            The difficulty with controlling the puppetry is describing the line that separates fun socks from malicious socks. At which point do you say "That person is harmless" or "This poster is malicious"? It all comes down to the observer's view on the subject.

Personally, I feel that anybody who creates multiple accounts to substansiate their online personna, and uses them to deceive others into believing that the lives and people they interact with are real, is acting maliciously and has no place on GateWorld, but that is my personal opinion and many others will not agree with me.
                            i don't see a valid reason 'for' having more than one identity! so, if i had the power, i'd make anyone that had more that ONE identity pic one and that's all you get.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I use the same ID all over the internet. i do have another ID that I use on my work's internet site, because that's work, this is fun
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I get having more than one ID on the same site can be handy, in regards to RPing anyway.
                                But creating a whole fake life/person, I really don't see the point.
                                If you have time to do that, go out and find real people that'll agree with you.
                                │▌║█▌││║█ █║│██│║║
                                .Browncoat.Gater.Trekkie.
                                Aftermath Lyall 'Bean' Benedict New Seasons

Comment

Working...
                                X