Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I say SG-1 sucks and my rep level is just fine, but I try and find constructive ways of... expressing my displeasure rather than flat-out bashing the show and attacking anyone who still likes it. That would definitely keep you from getting a good rep.

Comment

as to the rep system, we don't moderate it. That is to say, green or red, doesn't matter to us

now what is left in the comment line, that does and is bound by forum rules. As MT knows, he asked for that comment to be striken and it's gone. I deleted it myself

However, while i can certainly understand how frustrating it is to be the recipient of nasty comments (i've gotten a few myself), making those comments pubilc isn't quite the way to deal with it.

I liken this to another situation. Poster 1 left a rude comment in poster 2's rep area. poster 2 then responded with a rude comment of her own...then did bring the matter to our attention.

However, since she'd responded, my call was that they were even. blows had been traded. I deleted the two offending comments off each other's rep list and called everything fair.

MT, i appreciate that those comments were frustrating, but now, by making the name public, you've now taken the offensive. It doesn't matter that the other person struck first, what matters is that blows have been traded.

folks, please, let's keep private affairs private.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        MT, i appreciate that those comments were frustrating, but now, by making the name public, you've now taken the offensive. It doesn't matter that the other person struck first, what matters is that blows have been traded.

folks, please, let's keep private affairs private.
        Truth be told I didn't even think about the fact that I was revealing the name of the "reputer" when I posted a screencap of the comment. I certainly wasn't trying to "strike a blow" to anyone...only to commiserate with fellow posters. The comment was the only thing I actually intended to share. Seshat kindly pointed out that I might want to use more discretion and I have since removed the name.

Thanks again for deleting the rep comment.

(EDIT: For anyone who doesn't know what we're on about, this all happened in another thread. )
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

This may seem like a dumb question but how do you give someone rep points? thanks

Comment

In the upper right corner of every post there's a little thing that looks like a scale, (next to the red and white triangle thingy). Click on that. Select "Approve" to give green. "Disapprove" to give red. Leave a comment if you want. Then hit the "Add to Reputation" button.

Comment

Thanks for the help TechnoWraith...

Comment

Click on this pic on their posts
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Stupid question of the day.
                  If the posts in the off topic threads do not count towards the total of posts you have... then why you can give rep on them? Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by Naughtrish
                    Stupid question of the day.
                    If the posts in the off topic threads do not count towards the total of posts you have... then why you can give rep on them? Just a thought
                    I think they allow the Off-Topic chat section to gain rep points but I'm sure they leave out the others that are not stargate related and if you notice that some things in Off-Topic is SG related.

Comment

Maybe because rep is UTTERLY MEANINGLESS whereas post count gets you bonus features?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        Maybe because rep is UTTERLY MEANINGLESS whereas post count gets you bonus features?
                        True.

But . . . (You knew that was coming.)

The Off topic area adds to the sense of community on the forum, so people need to be able to praise jokes or fun polls as well.

Think of rep as a thank you or well said in response to posts.

Green is nice, but my life is not over if I don't get greened regularly.
                        "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I'm not arguing that. But people seem to be equating rep points with the same kind of "worth" as post count- either rep points shouldn't count because OT doesn't count towards your posts, or OT should count on your posts because rep points do.

But in the grand scheme of things, the rep system is just a convenient way to tell people you approve/disapprove of what they said... without wasting another post to do it.

Having 5000 rep points doesn't get you anything. It doesn't get you avs, it doesn't get you message space, it doesn't even get you respect... all it gets you is a lot of little green boxes.

The messages are the only real meaning in any of it and you're the only one who sees them.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                            I'm not arguing that. But people seem to be equating rep points with the same kind of "worth" as post count- either rep points shouldn't count because OT doesn't count towards your posts, or OT should count on your posts because rep points do.

But in the grand scheme of things, the rep system is just a convenient way to tell people you approve/disapprove of what they said... without wasting another post to do it.

Having 5000 rep points doesn't get you anything. It doesn't get you avs, it doesn't get you message space, it doesn't even get you respect... all it gets you is a lot of little green boxes.

The messages are the only real meaning in any of it and you're the only one who sees them.
                            If I'm reading you right [and correct me if I'm misunderstanding], then I think the opposite of what you said.

Rep points [or actually the remarks, because like you said, they are the real meaningful part of rep points] are given because somebody liked [or disliked] your posts. That is meaningful to me.

Post counts are just something an individual can run up without making a meaningful post or even having anything to say. Someone can get rewarded for saying, "I agree" a thousand times. It will probably be a few years before I can pick an avatar from a larger selection because I generally only respond when I have something to add to the conversation that is substantial [well, in my own mind, it's substantial - - at the least, it generally has a bunch of words ]. I don't equate seeing someone with thousands of posts in a short time that I know rarely posts more than 2 sentences to have "earned" the rights that you mentioned above.

However the mods decide to run this site is obviously their right, but in my mind, post count has much less worth than rep points. [And, although I know that can be abused, too, it at least takes an "accomplice" to give you the points and they have to wait a little while between giving points.]

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                              post count has much less worth than rep points.
                              Neither matter - The only thing that matters is what impact your posts have on the person on the other end
                              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                                Neither matter - The only thing that matters is what impact your posts have on the person on the other end
                                I said, "in my mind", and frankly, one way to measure the "impact your posts have on the other person" is through rep points, NOT post count, which was my point.
                                Last edited by ChillinTheMost; 31 October 2005, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X