This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rarocks24
    Those new ads they have going right now aren't all that great. I absolutely despise audio threads, and everytime one of them loads, I get a sound for a second like the ad forgot I didn't want audio.
    I get the *exact* same thing!
    SO ANNOYING!

Adrianne
    If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.
    It's all explained here. Well, one part anyhow

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24
      Those new ads they have going right now aren't all that great. I absolutely despise audio threads, and every time one of them loads, I get a sound for a second like the ad forgot I didn't want audio.
      then turn your speakers off
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

The new video ads crash my home computer every time I log on, so I've been reduced to peeking in at work only (that 'puter works fine). I'm a total "tech-not" so I'm not going to go out of my way to go through menus and turn this or that off. If I can't just open the site and have it work, I just won't go there. I have a high-speed fiber optic connection at home so that isn't the problem. My computer is a few years old and just gets "confused" with those ads.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

?????

how come everyone has trouble with these ads but me ??

as said above people pc crashing or go very slow

i use high speed Internet and have a new pc would that be why

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
            The new video ads crash my home computer every time I log on, so I've been reduced to peeking in at work only (that 'puter works fine). I'm a total "tech-not" so I'm not going to go out of my way to go through menus and turn this or that off. If I can't just open the site and have it work, I just won't go there. I have a high-speed fiber optic connection at home so that isn't the problem. My computer is a few years old and just gets "confused" with those ads.
            That's kind of how I am. I'm not going to go through and turn this on and that off. There are plenty of other forums I can join that I don't have this problem with. That's what I've been doing ... Looking around for other forums to spend my time on. This is especially useful when GW has crashed yet again

Adrianne
            If I never reply to something you said to me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm lazy and the thread moves too fast.

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
              ?????

how come everyone has trouble with these ads but me ??

as said above people pc crashing or go very slow

i use high speed Internet and have a new pc would that be why
              Well, I have a very fast computer and a high speed connection and I get some of the same problems as well. But I've learned to live with it.

As I have said many times before, I would be more than happy to pay for a GW subscription if I could have an ad-free environment.

Comment

Hello my fellow gateheads. I primarily use Safari on my mac now, because Firefox in the past used to crash all the time. It is something to do with Flash ads regardless of your connection and/or PC speed. I am double sure that it is some kind of FX bug because Safari has given me no headaches so far whereas FX has really been a pain the neck (PG13 I guess!) lately due to the massive adoption of Flash and Shockwave ads on the net. If you use windows then try using IE 6 and see what happens. Wish I could be of more help
                Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
                ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
                <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

Originally posted by StevetheWraith!
                  Hello my fellow gateheads. I primarily use Safari on my mac now, because Firefox in the past used to crash all the time. It is something to do with Flash ads regardless of your connection and/or PC speed. I am double sure that it is some kind of FX bug because Safari has given me no headaches so far whereas FX has really been a pain the neck (PG13 I guess!) lately due to the massive adoption of Flash and Shockwave ads on the net. If you use windows then try using IE 7 and see what happens. Wish I could be of more help

And better yet, try Opera.
                  http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Yep rarocks24 I guess any browser other than IE would suffice Although personally I have found Opera to be a bit bloated.
                    Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
                    ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
                    <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

if you see the survey pop up post it here and what ads are on the bottom and top of the page so Darren can get rid of it

Comment

Don’t know how you feel about it, Darren, but an ad came up for the Showtime series, “Weeds” when I was reading the GW Suggestion Box thread. Haven’t seen the show and have no idea what it’s about though I have a good guess, but the ad in question has this wording in it: “Putting the herb in suburb” accompanied by the classic cannabis leaf image.

Just thought you should know if you haven't seen it already.

Here's the one I'm talking about.
                        Last edited by LoneStar1836; 21 August 2006, 11:52 AM.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                          Don’t know how you feel about it, Darren, but an ad came up for the Showtime series, “Weeds” when I was reading the GW Suggestion Box thread. Haven’t seen the show and have no idea what it’s about though I have a good guess, but the ad in question has this wording in it: “Putting the herb in suburb” accompanied by the classic cannabis leaf image.

Just thought you should know if you haven't seen it already.
                          My local newspapers TVGuide insert had that show on their cover this past week. I was also slightly insulted by it ... I think it sucks that anyone would find drug dealing humorous.

Adrianne

My LibraryThing.

Comment

Drugs are as much a part of life as everything else, if you find life funny then you might as well be entitled to find drugs funny too...or forced to if your on them of course..
                            Wow i know the adverts are context sensitive, i remember something about skydiver posting loads and it came up with lots of skydiving ads! but i dont nkow whats in that thread that would bring up weed and drug dealing..
                            sigpic
                            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                            Stargate : Genesis |
                            Original Starship DesignThread
                            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                            11000! green me

Comment

It's definitely that Allstate ad causing a pop up. All most everytime I'v gotten one, that ad is present.

Screen cap of the ad. Forgot and closed the pop up before I remembered this PC had a screen capture program, but it was that same survey ad about insurance.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

I'd have to agree with LoneStar1836 - that's the only time that I've gotten the popup, too.
                                "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                                My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Working...
                                X