X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Col. Newman View Post
    It's called Fair Use... look it up
    You know, I wish people who go around saying things like this would bother looking it up themselves.

Taking a clip from a DVD with copyrighted content, and posting it on YouTube is not fair use. It is copyright infringement.
    Fair use can be argued if such a clip is being used as part of a larger work of critical comment, or similar.

Fair use is obviously moot if the person owns the original work in question.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
      You know, I wish people who go around saying things like this would bother looking it up themselves.

Taking a clip from a DVD with copyrighted content, and posting it on YouTube is not fair use. It is copyright infringement.
      Oh come on, be reasonable. I used to work as an outside clerk for a firm of solicitors. Some solicitors (and the barristers they instruct) make good money from defending/prosecuting people who have Col. Newman's view of "fair use". You what to do those poor solicitors and barristers out of a job? They would have to sell their second yacht, maybe even get a proper job!
      My jokes site - http://www.homegrownlaughter.com - for great jokes

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

Originally posted by ecchi View Post
        Oh come on, be reasonable. I used to work as an outside clerk for a firm of solicitors. Some solicitors (and the barristers they instruct) make good money from defending/prosecuting people who have Col. Newman's view of "fair use". You what to do those poor solicitors and barristers out of a job? They would have to sell their second yacht, maybe even get a proper job!
        You're right, how insensitive of me. Those poor people.

Ahem. Hear this; Fair use means you can freely post/share as much copyrighted footage on the internet as you wish.*

Now, I've heard that it only takes a year to retrain as a solicitor if you already have a degree....

*Not actually true in any way, shape, or form. See two posts up. Hey, I'm trying to save you money here!
        Last edited by smurf; 21 July 2008, 02:54 PM.

Comment

You're right, how insensitive of me. Those poor people.

Ahem. Hear this; Fair use means you can freely post/share as much copyrighted footage on the internet as you wish.

Now, I've heard that it only takes a year to retrain as a solicitor if you already have a degree....
          don't even say that tongue in cheek - someone will take you seriously.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
            I was just wondering whether to put in a footnote.

It's true, how else would people believe that Fair Use lets them do whatever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
              You don't even have to say it tongue in cheek. Enough people already firmly believe that they can legally rip off a "small amount" of copyright material, or that it is legal to rip off a "large amount" provided you don't make money out of it.

And I am betting a few are reading this thread and thinking that you, me, and Smurf are arseholes for saying differently.

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

You don't even have to say it tongue in cheek. Enough people already firmly believe that they can legally rip off a "small amount" of copyright material, or that it is legal to rip off a "large amount" provided you don't make money out of it.

And I am betting a few are reading this thread and thinking that you, me, and Smurf are arseholes for saying differently.
                Why would we say that. Those are all valid points. I feel sorry for those multi billion dollar companies.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                  Why would we say that. Those are all valid points. I feel sorry for those multi billion dollar companies.
                  The more people who believe in this definition of "fair use", the more those "multi billion dollar companies" are going to make from suing the idiots who upload their ripped film clips.

Comment

Ahem.... Might I add that people who regularily download shows to watch on their computer.. ahem like the ones here that have already seen Continuum before it's been released are just as bad as the youtube people.

You can't condemn people for putting clips on youtube when a hell of a lot of folks here watch TV shows off of torrents and stuff.
                    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                      Ahem.... Might I add that people who regularily download shows to watch on their computer.. ahem like the ones here that have already seen Continuum before it's been released are just as bad as the youtube people.

You can't condemn people for putting clips on youtube when a hell of a lot of folks here watch TV shows off of torrents and stuff.
                      I don't see anyone being condemned. I see people with a misunderstanding of the basics of copyright and fair use.

The argument that people want it is no excuse to do something. If you get caught, be aware that ignorance is no defence in a court of law.
                      Especially, if you aren't now ignorant of it.

I'm finding it difficult to understand how my protection of Gateworld becomes "You're so meeeaan!"

Comment

I'm finding it difficult to understand how my protection of Gateworld becomes "You're so meeeaan!"

Comment

I don't see anyone being condemned. I see people with a misunderstanding of the basics of copyright and fair use.

The argument that people want it is no excuse to do something. If you get caught, be aware that ignorance is no defence in a court of law.
                          Especially, if you aren't now ignorant of it.

Well I never said you were being mean. I just find this disccusio interesting when we are saying it's bad to post clips on youtube yet people talk a lot about things like Continuum and how they've watched the movie already off downloads..... Doing both is equally wrong and should not be encouraged.

Comment

Well I never said you were being mean. I just find this disccusio interesting when we are saying it's bad to post clips on youtube yet people talk a lot about things like Continuum and how they've watched the movie already off downloads..... Doing both is equally wrong and should not be encouraged.

Who encourages who?

Comment

Have you failed to notice that we were specifically not encouraging people to do these things?

Or are you just demonstrating Nolamom's previous point?

Comment

Have you failed to notice that we were specifically not encouraging people to do these things?

Or are you just demonstrating Nolamom's previous point?

No no my apologies I re read the thread and yeah you're not......

Sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X