This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
    Thank you, you where right, as it's working for me now.
    You're welcome ! Glad it's back to normal for you .

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Yep I noticed already thanks
    Good-oh !

Originally posted by 343_Guilty_Spark View Post
    The Only glitches i get are server busy, and the need to refresh everytime i try and go into a thread. but that maybe because im using very slow internet.
    I kept getting those glitches too,then it turned out to be a BT local server issue.( Now fixed ,thank goodness.)

Hope you get better access onto GW asap !
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS View Post
      You're welcome ! Glad it's back to normal for you .
      I have now discovered that it's actually not working properly. I can green some people and not others, and I haven't been over greening the ones it won't let me do it for. So really I don't know what is going on but I haope it's a glitch that will work itsself out soon.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 343_Guilty_Spark View Post
        The Only glitches i get are server busy, and the need to refresh everytime i try and go into a thread. but that maybe because im using very slow internet.
        I have a very fast connection and I get the same thing. It is not your internet. It is the server.

Comment

You have to green X number of people before you can green someone again, with X being between 15-30 greenings, I think. You also can't hand out more than X number of greens in a day, which is usually a number slightly above the "you must green X people" count so that you can't green someone, hand out 15 more greens and green someone again all in the same day.

I've been able to green folks without any issues, but I haven't exactly been handing them out like candy.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
            I have a very fast connection and I get the same thing. It is not your internet. It is the server.
            It's not the server. It's people blinging up their profiles and using Gateworld as their personal photobucket/imageshack.

I can't wait for the moment when people get bored of the new toys.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
              It's not the server. It's people blinging up their profiles and using Gateworld as their personal photobucket/imageshack.

Cos then taking over the world would be easier?
              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
              Yes, I am!
              sigpic
              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                Cos then taking over the world would be easier?
                No, I did that the other day whilst everyone else was waiting for the server to come back up.

Welcome To The New World Order!
                I'm going to laugh maniacally now. Bwa-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaaa!

Comment

No, I did that the other day whilst everyone else was waiting for the server to come back up.

Welcome To The New World Order!
                  I'm going to laugh maniacally now. Bwa-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaaa!
                  This is so unfair. Gateworld times out on me about 5 times a day (and more while I'm posting...) and you're taking adventage of it!!
                  *sobs in the corner*
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Last year we did not have the new toys and the server had the same problems. Last X-Mas, again, no new toys, and the server had the same problems. Let us not get carried away. GW is not the only place with this version. I am on a board with 200.000 members with the same board version and we don't get stuff like this. The problem is someplace else and not with the new version. I have 1.5MB download at home since I joined I get timed out, cannot be displayed, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                      This is so unfair. Gateworld times out on me about 5 times a day (and more while I'm posting...) and you're taking adventage of it!!
                      *sobs in the corner*
                      I'm sorry, I believe you'll find that's my corner now, and I didn't give you permission to sob in it.
                      Last year we did not have the new toys and the server had the same problems. Last X-Mas, again, no new toys, and the server had the same problems. Let us not get carried away. GW is not the only place with this version. I am on a board with 200.000 members with the same board version and we don't get stuff like this. The problem is someplace else and not with the new version. I have 1.5MB download at home since I joined I get timed out, cannot be displayed, etc.
                      Yes, it's not with the new version it's with how people are using it (and in conjunction with how powerful the server currently is).

The busier the server is the more likely there is to be a time out because it will hit its bandwidth limit. Say the limit for this server is (arbitrarily) 1MB per second, if someone uses the server to host a 97.7KB picture and 10 people per second look at that picture (or 10 people decide to upload a picture at the same time) then all it will take is one more person to cause the server to time out - did you know that it's theoretically possible for someone to have a profile which uses 781KB?
                      Alternatively, if it only takes 20KB of bandwidth to serve a page of posts then 50 people can play every second before the server times out.

As you may notice there are certain times of the year when more people like to come and play - for example Christmas, and the start of the new season.

BTW are you sure you have a 1.5MB connection rather than 1.5Mb one?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                        Really? So you can't enable something like this as that forum also uses VB.

The reason I'm asking is because I want to view GW on my mobile phone and text-only links with all the graphics disabled makes it cheaper (Accessing internet without a wireless hotspot through GPS is expensive) and easier to read.
                        Typing http://forum.gateworld.net/archive/ will go to the light version.

Now, in context of the previous post, there's a useful bit of code I keep forgetting about...

Comment

BTW are you sure you have a 1.5MB connection rather than 1.5Mb one?

I do know the difference between MB and Mb. Apart from studying aerospace I also know my way with computers/networking and anything related to them. I had a part time job as an IT administrator last summer and will have it again this summer.

I have a 24Mbit connection at home, use a fiber optic line and I have a FASTPATH for the occasional Half Life 2 Death match with 5-10 ms lag. With rapidshare I download with 3MB /s with GW I download with 1.5 MB/s. It is normal to have discrepancies, latency from Europe to the states, server bandwidth etc.

If the hardware does not cope with the requirements, do not offer the latest features, strip the board to a minimum, or restrict the number of users. I am a mod on a 40.000 people board with 3.7 and a member of that 200.000 people one. There are always over 4000 people at the same time and photo requirements are more flexible than on GW. It is obvious, that the infrastructure in some places can cope better. Having said that, do not blame the users. Their profiles and what they attach on GW is in conjunction with GW rules. It seems a change is in order if the same hardware will be used from now on.
                          Last edited by Integrabyte; 24 May 2008, 05:32 AM.

Comment

I do know the difference between MB and Mb. Apart from studying aerospace I also know my way with computers/networking and anything related to them. I had a part time job as an IT administrator last summer and will have it again this summer.

I have a 24Mbit connection at home. With rapidshare I download with 3MB /s with GW I download with 1.5 MB/s. It is normal to have discrepancies, latency from Europe to the states, server bandwidth etc.

If the hardware does not cope with the requirements, do not offer the latest features, strip the board to a minimum, or restrict the number of users. I am a mod on a 40.000 people board with 3.7 and a member of that 200.000 people one. There are always over 4000 people at the same time and photo requirements are more flexible than on GW. It is obvious, that the infrastructure in some places can cope better. Having said that, do not blame the users. Their profiles and what they attach on GW is in conjunction with GW rules. It seems a change is in order if the same hardware will be used from now on.
                            Sorry, it just seemed that you were not clear about the link between the way the board is used and why we're having problems with the server.

Like I said before, it will calm down after people stop being so excited by the new toys. There will be a point when people run out of pictures to transfer over, and people to friend, and whatever else we're supposed to be doing, so I don't think we should be expecting Darren to go to the expense of increasing the server requirements just to get past this annoying little bump.

I would put a hard limit on a few things though. For example, is there a limit on the number of albums we can have?
                            If there isn't it seems a good place to start.

Comment

I've been checking out the new features, but since I'm tech-challenged, I'd like to know what's the difference between "contact" and "friend" ?????

Comment

Originally posted by Caldwell's 2IC View Post
                                I've been checking out the new features, but since I'm tech-challenged, I'd like to know what's the difference between "contact" and "friend" ?????
                                For me all my current "contacts" were the people that I had previously "friended/buddied" (in order to get the little + sign next to their name in the Who's Online thing on the front page) before the swap over to this new VB format.

Now I have no idea how you can get someone to be a contact rather than a friend other than to ask to friend them and they just ignore the request thus leaving them as a contact but it still puts the + by their name.

Other than that, there is no difference as far as I can tell. Other than contacts don't show up on your friends panel on your profile page.
                                Last edited by LoneStar1836; 27 May 2008, 03:45 PM. Reason: sp
                                IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                                X