This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qasim
    Darren (and possibly Greg) are working on it - the other mods know nothing about vbulletin
    heeeey, that's not precisely true..... I am intimately familiar with how the report post feature and the subscribe threads feature DON'T currently work Also, how I have to scroll down to hit submit post, and that I don't like that giving rep doesn't pop up anymore, and that creating threads is sometimes problematic......

I know lots about vBulletin, I just don't have a clue how to fix any of it, and even if I did the only people who can change or edit anything at that level are Darren and Greg - and as you say, Darren has FAR more important things to do and well, I have no idea what Greg is off doing, but I was Aussie last week and if the beautiful weather was any indicator he was off getting in a break before the Xmas holidays and new eps next year where the load on the forum quadruples.....

Comment

Does anyone know why random avatars don't work but sigs do?

It comes up either URL error (can't remember exact wording) or invalid file.
      Any ideas?

Comment

I don't know. I think it has to do with the Forum's Server. Darren or Greg (or even possibly David) could explain it better that I.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
          Darren or Greg (or even possibly David) could explain it better that I.
          That's what I was told in the ask the mods thread. The mod who answered said it might be that the avs are set to be stationary, but it'll be cool to have random ones. If something like that is true, it should be changed. Also I think we should be allowed to have larger avs. If not the GW ones, then at least the custom avs so more can be included and pics wouldn't have to made so small.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
            That's what I was told in the ask the mods thread. The mod who answered said it might be that the avs are set to be stationary, but it'll be cool to have random ones. If something like that is true, it should be changed. Also I think we should be allowed to have larger avs. If not the GW ones, then at least the custom avs so more can be included and pics wouldn't have to made so small.
            Well I've just realised that you can use a larger picture, but it will be shrunk to fit.
            srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Originally posted by srg
              Well I've just realised that you can use a larger picture, but it will be shrunk to fit.
              So ur avs does look a bit diff! I can see more than Steve. I meant a bigger one that's not shunked.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
                So ur avs does look a bit diff! I can see more than Steve. I meant a bigger one that's not shunked.
                You noticed then hehe Yeah it would nice to have then slightly larger.
                srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Originally posted by srg
                  Yeah that's what I did, I just posted the link to the orginal wallpaper and it strunk it for me.
                  sigpic

Comment

My guess is that there are two reasons you can't use a script to rotate avatars:

1) The forum copies your avatar and saves it locally on the server, so as not to steal bandwidth from the source. So it requires that the file it is finding and copying be what it expects it to be -- an image.

2) Avatars are always an image, not a bit of script, so that's all the forum software will accept. Your signature, on the other hand, can have any combination of images and/or text you can dream of -- it'll take any vB code tags. The forum doesn't expect it to be or require it to be a single image.
                    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                      My guess is that there are two reasons you can't use a script to rotate avatars:

1) The forum copies your avatar and saves it locally on the server, so as not to steal bandwidth from the source. So it requires that the file it is finding and copying be what it expects it to be -- an image.

2) Avatars are always an image, not a bit of script, so that's all the forum software will accept. Your signature, on the other hand, can have any combination of images and/or text you can dream of -- it'll take any vB code tags. The forum doesn't expect it to be or require it to be a single image.
                      Hmm, 1) sounds like it might be the reason I have the same problem on another forum because of that. Although 2) also sounds reasonable.

Thanks.

Comment

I wonder if it would be possible to use those animated gifs?
                        srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Originally posted by srg
                          I wonder if it would be possible to use those animated gifs?
                          Yes you can use gifs I had one last week. I can't make them but I can use them.

Comment

I have a question and I'm not sure if this is the right thread/place but here goes:

How do you make a screen capture (TV/PC) and where does everyone get all the pictures they use in their posts? (sigs & the body of the posts) Sometimes I see 'SciFi' on them like a screen cap and others??? Are they borrowed from other sites and used with permission? Yeah ok a couple of questions

If the answer is long or involved, please PM me. Thanks in advance!
                            Hero worship is only a part time job

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCat...Gater
                              I have a question and I'm not sure if this is the right thread/place but here goes:

How do you make a screen capture (TV/PC) and where does everyone get all the pictures they use in their posts? (sigs & the body of the posts) Sometimes I see 'SciFi' on them like a screen cap and others??? Are they borrowed from other sites and used with permission? Yeah ok a couple of questions

If the answer is long or involved, please PM me. Thanks in advance!
                              I'd recommed going to stargatecaps.com for screencaps hehe
                              srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

Originally posted by srg
                                I'd recommed going to stargatecaps.com for screencaps hehe
                                Awesome! Thanks
                                Hero worship is only a part time job

Comment

Working...
                                X