Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question : when this occurs ,does it look like a meshed grid for a moment,then vanishes before you can even try to take a cap?

(That's what I've had appear once or twice per visit on GW and YT when I tested Chrome during the past couple of weeks.)
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Question : when this occurs ,does it look like a meshed grid for a moment,then vanishes before you can even try to take a cap?

(That's what I've had appear once or twice per visit on GW and YT when I tested Chrome during the past couple of weeks.)
      Yeah. A grid of white and gray squares, covering the lower 1/2 to 1/4 of my screen. On my phone, it's just white.

It happens almost every time I log in to the website now, and sometimes after I've been on a thread for a bit and scroll up or down too fast.

Comment

Exactly what I've had occur,except I've had it happen most often when I click on a thread title,especially to "view last post."

Clearing the cache/cookies/browser,then reloading Chrome seems to get rid of the hiccup for a while,but really, it's a usage issue that needs to be sent to their Support team.
        The more bug reports they recieve,the more likely they can either find the cause or advise us individually on fixes.

Take a look in the controls under "Help" then if that's not helpful - Go to 'Tools'-> 'Report an issue' - then fill out the ticket.

They'll probably find it helpful to know your Operating System ( Windows XP ,etc ) ,Chrome edition,and how long this has been a problem for you when you visit the forum.

Comment

I've been getting an error every time I use the option "mark forums read" ever since yesterday.

"Database error
          The GateWorld Forum database has encountered a problem."

ETA:

Knipsel GW error.JPG

And I have no idea why the picture isn't showing (attachments have been doing this for months if not longer) but the link should work.
          Last edited by fems; 24 July 2013, 10:34 AM.
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Anyone else getting the forum page and my controls page on the left side of the screen? It corrects itself when moving around the forum.

Comment

Could be an ad that's been wrongly formatted/submitted by the ad suppliers.If their coding isn't centered,it can easily distort the forum template.
              (Refreshing or trying different threads and pages restores the normal view because a different ad usually rotates into it's place.)

Take a look at this cap I took : (snipped.test failed )Is that anything like what you've been seeing?
              Last edited by Bagpuss; 26 July 2013, 04:00 PM. Reason: testing something.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                I've been getting an error every time I use the option "mark forums read" ever since yesterday.

"Database error
                The GateWorld Forum database has encountered a problem."

ETA:

[ATTACH]38208[/ATTACH]

And I have no idea why the picture isn't showing (attachments have been doing this for months if not longer) but the link should work.
                Which buttons are returning the database error?

What I mean by that is that there are several ways to mark forums as read.
                eg :
                Front page ( by the View Moderators link.)
                Forum actions via the drop -down menu.
                Inside forums -forum tools.
                Beside forum sections : ie by double-clicking the Gate symbol.
                Via our control panel.We can mark subbed folders as read there too.

Comment

Could be an ad that's been wrongly formatted/submitted by the ad suppliers.If their coding isn't centered,it can easily distort the forum template.
                  (Refreshing or trying different threads and pages restores the normal view because a different ad usually rotates into it's place.)

Take a look at this cap I took : [ATTACH]38215[/ATTACH] Is that anything like what you've been seeing?
                  yes

Comment

Ok,thanks Sue.

If you can,take a cap of the ad you're seeing and the url info,and post it in the "Problems with a GW Ad" thread so Darren can have it barred.

Other options : Either Block the ad itself,or refresh your forum view to get rid of it till it gets pulled or goes off rotation.

Comment

Which buttons are returning the database error?

What I mean by that is that there are several ways to mark forums as read.
                      eg :
                      Front page ( by the View Moderators link.)
                      Forum actions via the drop -down menu.
                      Inside forums -forum tools.
                      Beside forum sections : ie by double-clicking the Gate symbol.
                      Via our control panel.We can mark subbed folders as read there too.
                      It only seems to occur when using the "mark forums read" option (via forum actions drop down menu). It doesn't happen when I choose "Mark This Fourm Read" (via forum tools) in a (sub)forum or when I double-click a Stargate in the forum overview, my controls or a subforum.

ETA:
                      The checkers thing when loading a (sub)forum or going to the forum overview has gotten worse, in spite of me clearing my cache yesterday. It happened once on a different site but not as bad as here, so maybe it's a new browser error that happens when loading takes longer than usual...
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        It only seems to occur when using the "mark forums read" option (via forum actions drop down menu). It doesn't happen when I choose "Mark This Fourm Read" (via forum tools) in a (sub)forum or when I double-click a Stargate in the forum overview, my controls or a subforum.
                        Using Chrome ,I couldn't duplicate that glitch.Filed for Greg to check out as and when he gets time.

Originally posted by fems
                        ETA:
                        The checkers thing when loading a (sub)forum or going to the forum overview has gotten worse, in spite of me clearing my cache yesterday. It happened once on a different site but not as bad as here, so maybe it's a new browser error that happens when loading takes longer than usual...
                        It's a Chrome issue,and you're probably noticing it more often on the sites you most frequently visit.

If you report this to Chrome Support,they may be able to advise further.

Comment

I don't know if its my imagination or what, but I'm as certain as I can be that my post counter is off. I posted to Artwork For All with the post # 13,133. That would make the next post 13,134 but it still said 13,133. I thought something like this happened the Saturday. Will you please check?

Gracias.

Comment

Off-Topic Section posts don't count towards our tallies.

Comment

On the checkerboard glitch, the only time I can get it, if at all, is when loading a page when everything is just loading, once l oaded everythings perfectly fine unless it is images, those take a bit longer to load, just confrimung that I get it too, but it is more a 'oh it is supposed to do that, no biggie'

Oh, and is there a thread for a Thank The Mods or the like ? Or do I have to start one ? We got Ask the Mods, so why not Thank the Mods ?

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                              "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                              "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

I think it's fair to say that there's enough evidence of the "Meshing " now to class it as a Chrome issue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As far as I know there's no "Thank the Mods" thread as such, unless it's buried deep in the older pages in this section or OT Chatter,but there's a GateWorld Appreciation Thread or two.

Would the Fave Mods thread be suitable for what you have in mind?

Comment

Working...
                                X