Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darren- is it possible to turn off the point value system on reputation entirely and just leave it as a way for people to comment on individual posts (since that's the one bit most people consider the most important)? And is it something you'd consider doing?

EDIT: Also, I'm encountering a severe lag problem when I post. I just noticed it tonight. I click on "submit reply" and it says "waiting for gateworld...." for a good minute or two before returning to the thread, but if I open another window and look, my reply is already there- while I'm still getting the "waiting..." message in the other window. Is this a known issue or something new? The latest update to Firefox has been a little cranky with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
      I don't know if it has been settled the "violation" is still there or was a little while ago, but the user is off-line anyway and it isn't something you can really fix without the users co-operation. Shipperahoy is looking into it for me.
      Thankyou Shipperahoy, I am still confused but I will think about it some more. Thanks again.

Comment

That sounds like a server issue that will need Greg's eyes. He was poking around here yesterday, so hopefully he's back from vacation.

We can't turn off the Reputation point system, but we can make it so that your Rep score isn't displayed anywhere (effectively the same thing). It is something we've considered, and if there was a widespread desire to make that switch among members I'd consider it again.
        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
          That sounds like a server issue that will need Greg's eyes. He was poking around here yesterday, so hopefully he's back from vacation.

We can't turn off the Reputation point system, but we can make it so that your Rep score isn't displayed anywhere (effectively the same thing). It is something we've considered, and if there was a widespread desire to make that switch among members I'd consider it again.
          but cant people that dont want to participate turn it off as the system is now?

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
            Yes they can. It's a great system! Those who like it can keep it active, and those who don't can simply shut it off.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
              right now folks have two choices, have it displayed like mine is, or have it not displayed, like shadow's is (all you see is a single grey box)

i believe the option darren is talking about would hide the display totally. no green jello, no red jello, no gray jello
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I'm encountering a severe lag problem when I post. I just noticed it tonight. I click on "submit reply" and it says "waiting for gateworld...." for a good minute or two before returning to the thread, but if I open another window and look, my reply is already there- while I'm still getting the "waiting..." message in the other window. Is this a known issue or something new? The latest update to Firefox has been a little cranky with me.
                This is happening for me too. If I submit a reply, sometimes the page never seems to load, and yet if I use another tab, lo and behold, my reply is there.

ETA: This is happening every time I reply now! *sigh*
                sigpic

Comment

In addition to the lag time on responses, every once in a while, the links in the upper quarter of the page (say, everything about "General's Office" when on the main page) go dead. Meaning that they don't show up as links when I mouse over them.

Is this another Firefox hiccup? I'm beginning to think I should switch back to IE.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    In addition to the lag time on responses, every once in a while, the links in the upper quarter of the page (say, everything about "General's Office" when on the main page) go dead. Meaning that they don't show up as links when I mouse over them.

Is this another Firefox hiccup? I'm beginning to think I should switch back to IE.
                    I'm on IE and I'm having some of the same issues today.
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

I do know that some *link freezes* have been reported to Greg. So to my knowledge he is looking into the behind the scenes code to see if something may have gotten jumbled in the upgrade
                      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Question!

I know that its around 1,801 post we start being able to have customize avatars. Recently I have reaced the 1,800 post (yay!) and can't figure out for the life of me how to add one.

I've asked others who have customized avatars and they say at the bottom of the Avatar menu there were be an option for customize avatars, but when I scroll down to the bottom of my menu I don't seen any difference. And I reach the 1,800 posts a couple days ago. So do I have wait longer or am I just not seeing something that already there?
                        ~Athena

Comment

The custom av post count is no longer 1800, Darren changed it and I'm not exactly sure to what post number.

Edit: NowIWillDestroyAbydos has told me that s/he got his/her custom avs at about 2000 posts so I guess that's the new number.
                          Last edited by Shipperahoy; 16 December 2005, 08:26 PM.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Thanks for replying Shipperahoy!

Darn, 2,000. I guess Darren just trying to get us stay longer and post more.
                            ~Athena

Comment

Hi is it possible to have custom rotational avs? I spent ages making 5 of them and pasted the url given by random image but it says url is invalid but it works in my sig.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ok what's up with the popping flash banner recently? It took me 30 minutes to log in because the banner was blocking the login section of the forum. I had to close and open GW page constantly until I got a normal, non flash banner. Seriously, this is rediculous.

Comment

Working...
                                X