This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Captain Chaap View Post
    Upgrading the GW e-mail service seems a lot of money for what you get, does any of the money actually go to GateWorld?
    Nope. We use a third-party service, Everyone.net, to provide people with @gateworld.net e-mail accounts. If you upgrade the free account, we don't get a cut.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
      Well TBH I was thinking about writing a fan-fic and read there that it's advisable to post them as ''single posts'' rather than threads.
      To post your fanfics ,just open a new thread in the Fanfic section,( Icon is at the top of the section ) Choose your title ,then post your first instalment.
      To update just keep posting to your thread.

That way ,all your fic will be posted in consecutive posts ,and your readers will be able to find it all in one place.

Originally posted by Ziel
      Also I've noticed that some forum users have links to their own ''single posts'' in there sigs (if you know what I mean).
      TBH honest not sure if ''single posts'' is the right word.
      Is this what you mean ?
      Example :
      Your first question:
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....postcount=8887
      Just click on the post number in a thread ,( Top line to the left of the "Scales" reputation -giving icon then copy and paste the link.

Or you can post that as a hyperlinked message :go to post message options ,click on the "Insert link" symbol ,right click to copy /paste the url ,then once the linked part in blue appears,type the message you want others to see and click on. eg : Clicky on Ziel's first question

Use the same method to hyperlink thread titles .
      Ask the Moderators

To add a hyperlink into your signature,open your control panel .Down the left hand side go to "Edit Signature " and use the buttons the same way .

Hope that helps !

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
      Hey mods,

I got a visitor message from a newbie so it came through as an unapproved vistor message and then a mod note on the actual message.

I have read the message and responded, however in my notifications box, it still keeps showing up that I have a message waiting.

When does that go away?...I keep thinking I've got to check for messages!

What's weird is the first message did not get modded or unapprove visitor message but the second message did.
      Might be a glitch.
      If you're still seeing that notification today ,with no message to approve,try deleting one or two old VMs and see if it clears.
      Last edited by Bagpuss; 01 September 2009, 11:42 PM.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

as to fanfic, our preference has never been for people to use a thread to post thier fic. There's no way to search it, the word count limits make it necessary to post fic in little chunks, and we have no way to archive those fic. If the forum ever goes boom, so does that fic.

That said, in the past couple of years we've allowed people to post fanfic as threads due to the uploader being down. when/if we get the uploader back operational, fic posted in threads will no longer be allowed and you'll have to repost the fic to the archive. So you might want to bear that in mind.

a lot of our members use fanfiction.net - it's free - and upload their fic there then link back to it in a thread here, thus enabling discussion of the fic without that discussion disrupting the fic, and also archiving the fic in a more workable context than posts on a forum
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          Might be a glitch.
          If you're still seeing that notification today ,with no message to approve,try deleting one or two old VMs and see if it clears.
          It went away on it's own. Must have been a glitch.

Thanxs!
          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Thanks Bagpuss & Skydiver for the help.
            Hopefully it sets me right.
            Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
              It went away on it's own. Must have been a glitch.

Thanxs!
              Thought so ! Glad it cleared .

Originally posted by Ziel View Post
              Thanks Bagpuss & Skydiver for the help.
              Hopefully it sets me right.
              You're welcome & good luck with your fic.

Comment

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this or not but what happened to the Michael Shanks give SGU a chance thread?

If this is the wrong place - sorry
                sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Hi Flynn !
                  That thread developed some issues that are currently being reviewed off-forum.
                  ( Standard procedure .)
                  The thread will be back out asap ,once the review's completed,but I can't say any more than that at this stage.

Comment

i am sure you guys get this a lot but, how do you find a thread in a section i have looked threw all the pages and i can't find any it , so what is a quick way to find your favorite thread ? thanks
                    sigpic
                    May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                      Hi Flynn !
                      That thread developed some issues that are currently being reviewed off-forum.
                      ( Standard procedure .)
                      The thread will be back out asap ,once the review's completed,but I can't say any more than that at this stage.
                      Thank you.
                      sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

My pleasure .
                        Thread's been back out for a little while now ,so here's hoping this time it stays on track.

Comment

With the new season of supernatural starting this week, will official threads be made or shall we just create own threads in the same vein as WH13 & Eureka?

Comment

I believe that you guys just create your own.

Chances are - and I'll hope for a list eventually - the only threads we'll have official GW ones for are things like SGU.(maybe some others, up to darren)

I think the philosophy is: We - as in the site - will accommodate those wanting to discuss other shows, but won't feel obligated to make threads, etc. It'd just be too many threads for one person to work on. So....boiled down. you guys wanted the folders (which is totally cool) but it'll be up to you to keep them going, and that includes threads.

One thing to consider, some of these smaller shows have thought that it actually stifles conversation to have a thread for each and every episode. Look at a folder for Lost or another show and you'll see that each eps thread has less than 20 posts. So it might be beneficial for these 'smaller' shows to have 1-2 main discussion threads and everyone discusses the most recent episode in that thread, instead of 20 different ones to keep track of.

Just an idea.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Hi, just thought you should know, in the NEWBIES: Handy Forum Tutorials! The link for asking "your knowlegable fellow forum members" is broken.

This is the message I get when I try that link. I get the same thing when I click on the administrator link within that message.

Just pointing this out.
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME.

Comment

The general rule of thumb (I can think of one exception) is that if the show has its own folder here AND a dedicated episode guide at SciFiStream.com, then I will make official threads for the episodes. Otherwise, please do go ahead and make them yourselves.

Stargate, Heroes, LOST, Fringe, Doctor Who, Dollhouse, etc.
                                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Working...
                                X