This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just to clarify, this is what general blue said

Pardon me, could you close a couple of threads in the Role Play section? The people who created them are not enrolled in the RPG.
    Thanks.

not being a participant in the RPG, i wouldn't know who is or is not enrolled.

Someone was kind enough to pm me the links to the two threads and they have been deleted

for anyone who wishes to have something done, threads merged or deleted, the more info you can give the mods, the better. If a post needs to be deleted, telling me 'can you please delete my post in the jack thunk thread' really doesn't help me since that thread has several thousand posts. However saying 'can you please delete post #23843 in the jack thunk thread' gives us more info to work with.

The more you (the general you) help us, the more we can help you.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Public groups is a vBulletin feature that we don't currently use. It would allow us to create special user groups and assign them particular access and abilities (exclusive folders, special avatars, etc. etc.). For example, we could make a "Sam/Jack Shippers" group, or a "Gatecon Goers" group, or a "Fan Site Webmasters" group, or an "Atlanta Gaters" group.

One of the main reasons we haven't implemented it is because we don't want to encourage "cliqueiness," where membership in a sub-group requires someone's approval or conversations held by the group are hidden from public view.

If someone had a great idea about how to use it (without driving further wedges into fandom and the forum by creating cliques), we could certainly look into it.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Is there a way for a mod to block someone from giving red rep points to a specific person (because someone is planning on giving me some for the 4 (out of 6) threads I started on the upcoming seasons of SG-1 & SGA)?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
          Is there a way for a mod to block someone from giving red rep points to a specific person (because someone is planning on giving me some for the 4 (out of 6) threads I started on the upcoming seasons of SG-1 & SGA)?
          Nope, not that I know of. The system does have built-in failsafes to prevent (or make it much harder) for a member to hammer one particular user with red rep, though.
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
            Public groups is a vBulletin feature that we don't currently use. It would allow us to create special user groups and assign them particular access and abilities (exclusive folders, special avatars, etc. etc.). For example, we could make a "Sam/Jack Shippers" group, or a "Gatecon Goers" group, or a "Fan Site Webmasters" group, or an "Atlanta Gaters" group.

One of the main reasons we haven't implemented it is because we don't want to encourage "cliqueiness," where membership in a sub-group requires someone's approval or conversations held by the group are hidden from public view.

If someone had a great idea about how to use it (without driving further wedges into fandom and the forum by creating cliques), we could certainly look into it.
            Thanks, Darren. Yeah, I can see how something like that could cause major problems.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

which means it will probaly take that person several days to get it accomplished, but we're not the rep police.

if s/he leaves comments that break the rules, we can remove those, but that's the limit to what we can do with rep points

sigpic

Comment

I assume you can change red rep points to gray pointless rep points.

Oh, and Darren, can you please unlock the thread for tonight's Smallville episode. I'd like to post there before I have to leave you guys for the night.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                  I assume you can change red rep points to gray pointless rep points.

Oh, and Darren, can you please unlock the thread for tonight's Smallville episode. I'd like to post there before I have to leave you guys for the night.
                  opened.

and grey boxes are rep points given out by posters who have not achieved the minimum 50 (i think)posts which allows them to give out red or green

beyond the comments, we do not moderate rep points since rep points are an expression of a person's opinion. And we're not going to even start to judge which opinion is 'right' or 'wrong'....nor are we going to get in the middle of a personal matter, which is what many rep point issues end up being.

the only control a poster has over rep points is to either turn the system off, if you do that, then your rep points are displayed as a gray box on your post, or for you to put a person on ignore. they can still give you points, but you won't see them unless you take them off ignore

sigpic

Comment

I was subscribed to the Ask Joe and Ask Bambam threads, but for some reason, I'm not anymore. Do any of you know why? It's annoying because I don't have questions, so I can't post in them and subscribe again, but I like to keep an eye on them to see when Joe and Bambam post. And I'm also wondering if there are any more threads that I don't know I've somehow been unsubscribed from.
                    gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

Why do my post keep disapearing?
                      What am I doing wrong?

"We were a team...no one could even begin to understand what we went through together… What we mean to each other.” Samantha Carter

Comment

Originally posted by yowo
                        Why do my post keep disapearing?
                        What am I doing wrong?
                        what post where?

i do need a little more info please

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          what post where?

i do need a little more info please
                          the subscription feature seems to be on the fritz at the moment. and likely may stay that way until there's a software upgrade since it seems to be a bug in the system

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by walterIsTheMan
                            Hehe thanks for the enthusiasm, but the idea is to calm things down. If you go in and start beating people up, things will, as Teal'c would say, "calm up".

I thought it was an interesting discussion we were having in the thread, but the user simply refuses to read what I say, and when they do they take things out of context. I would just prefer a mod come in and put their foot down.
                            lol, just let me know when you need me...

Originally posted by Darren
                            Yep. The way it works it that avatars are sorted by category (Main Cast, BONUS Main Cast, Allies, Enemies, Tau'ri, Aliens, Tok'ra, Ships, Technology, General, Ori, Wraith, etc.) and when you are promoted to the second and third membership levels, entire categories are opened up.

We've added new avatars this week to almost every avatar category. Some got one or two new avatars, some got a few dozen.
                            Cool, thanks again Darren!

Originally posted by skydiver
                            not being a participant in the RPG, i wouldn't know who is or is not enrolled.

Someone was kind enough to pm me the links to the two threads and they have been deleted

for anyone who wishes to have something done, threads merged or deleted, the more info you can give the mods, the better. If a post needs to be deleted, telling me 'can you please delete my post in the jack thunk thread' really doesn't help me since that thread has several thousand posts. However saying 'can you please delete post #23843 in the jack thunk thread' gives us more info to work with.

The more you (the general you) help us, the more we can help you.
                            lol, ok, remember, if you have any questions with the RP feel free to PM me
                            sigpic
                            Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Why was this thread moved? What harm would it have cause to leave it in the "Off-Topic" forum?

Comment

Yeah, uh, mods, could you move that back, lol, sorry, (Gen Blue, that thread is fine in the RPing folder...)
                                sigpic
                                Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Working...
                                X