This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Mod-gods! How are ya?

I'd like you to clear up something for me. For a couple of months now, i and many others have been posting manips in the 'funny' section. I was advised to put pics there that i'd accidentally posted in the JF/Shep thunk thread. OK, so just yesterday, one of you 'snipped' all the pics out, saying they weren't allowed! After 1000 posts. Really???? says I with a cynical smirk.

My 'gripe' about this is that none of the pics were distasteful - in fact, I've scored heaps of green for my manips. I even gave an entire BOOK of them IN PERSON to Joe Flanigan,who laughed and said he loved it. And yet you allow people to put 'slashy' stuff up in the main forums. This smacks of hypocrisy to me - and I find the slash stuff even more distasteful than my harmless, hysterical manips!

So what gives? Why do you allow the ************s the licence to post and us funsters not? How about some equality here, or a more cohesive posting policy?

thanks for listening!
    LCEB
    sigpic
    My Manips & other artwork!

Comment

to the best of my knowledge the only shep manip i snipped out was one where someone put joe's head on, maybe it was mcdreamy? 's body. we dont' allow putting one person's head on another's body.

teh only other things i snipped out were the 'img' tags on some photos that were above the 700 pixel limit and stretching the forum. Which is against the rules.

we do evaluate each reported photo individually, but the basic guideline is

keep the file size 50K or less
      keep it less than 700 pixels wide
      no 'beheading' actors to manip thier heads onto bodies that aren't their own
      no putting actors into 'compromising' situations.

Want to put sam's head on supergirl's body? no
      want to put a big red S on sam's fatigue shirt? sure
      want to put sam's WHOLE body into the poster for Supergirl? sure.
      want to put sam and jacks' heads on the bodies of two actors in a clench? no.
      Putting santa hats on someone? no big deal
      reassembling a group shot to put them somewhere else or to remove someone, fine, as long as you're dealing with a whole body, not just parts of it

Our general rule is, if you were the actor would this make you uncomfortable? In Joe's case, would his wife like to se photos of him 'in bed' with another character? probably not. so we dont' allow it.

We do it out of respect for the actors because they do play here upon occasion. We also have had a few users that have let thier enthusiasm override good taste and common sense who made some very suggestive manips involving a pairing that, quite rankly, squicked a lot of us out because - in supporting her ship - she was also insinuating that a married actor was having an affair with her co-worker

We do our best to keep an eye on the photos posted, but sometimes things to slip through. If you see a manip that you think crosses the line, just let us know and we'll look it over.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

This was an entire thread dedicated to manips that had been running for about 2 years and had over 1000 posts that had never been modded until now when suddenly all of the pictures have been snipped. We're just thinking it's a bit extreme.

Comment

that thread has always been a grey area and most of the manips have been fine. putting shep on the bridge of the enterprise and the like. Others have crossed the line

If you want to we can discuss this in more depth in PM

sigpic

Comment

There seems to be a problem on the mainpage because all news I get to see is 1 article about the ark of truth details. No other previous news like eg Be all my sins remembered are displayed on the mainpage.
            Lord Zedd

Comment

Is there a list of words that the search function doesn't like. Because I'm getting not found alot. It seems about a third of the words I try it says can't find when they are obviously there. And I am only trying words 4 letters or more.

The latest today was 'Other'. I'm searching a tourney thread for the ep 'The Other Side'. The search function said it found no instances.

Edit: This is nothing new. I just finally got fed up today and thought I'd ask.
              Last edited by Thunderstorm; 20 December 2007, 01:10 PM.
              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Originally posted by _Anubis View Post
                There seems to be a problem on the mainpage because all news I get to see is 1 article about the ark of truth details. No other previous news like eg Be all my sins remembered are displayed on the mainpage.
                This is a known problem I am trying to resolve. It looks like I'll need Greg's help when he's around, though. Stay tuned.
                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                  This is a known problem I am trying to resolve. It looks like I'll need Greg's help when he's around, though. Stay tuned.
                  Same problem with other sections of the site.

Eg: http://gateworld.net/sg1/s2/index.shtml and http://www.gateworld.net/opinion/index.shtml

Just thought id let you know incase you thought the problem was limted to news
                  Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground. - Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Could someone please tell me why the search function is so screwed up? I understand it when the first word is too short (Although < 4 is a bit extreme), but I find it a bit extreme that I get "search term too short" when I search for things like: "Anti S10" or "Anti S4" or "Anti S5" or "Pro S5" or "Discussion of S5".

From what I can recall it wasn't like this in the summer, so could it please be fixed since it's rather annoying?
                    Signed,

Gregorius
                    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

This is the "Ask the Moderators" thread, not the "Debate with the Moderators" thread, the "Push an Agenda on the Moderators" thread, the "Skillfully Bash-Without-Bashing Other Groups on GateWorld While Posting it as a Question for the Moderators" thread, nor the "Disagree with the Answer I Just Got from the Moderators" thread.

If you wish to disagree, elaborate, discuss, debate, vent, verbally gesticulate, or anything that is not a (serious) question, please conduct it via Private Message.

Anything else posted in the thread will be deleted.
                      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

i think the issue with the search, or at least part of it, the terms must be 5 letters or longer..and your 'anti s4' well each of those words are 4 or less, so it won't be found

It doens't seem to search for ALL the terms, just them individually, so it doesn't see 'anti s4' as 6 characters, but 4 and 2

(i'm already dreading people trying to find stuff about 'the last man' because it won't show up in the search engine)

Discussion should show up just fine

sigpic

Comment

Is there anyway to fix it so the Search function won't act like that?

I mean, ZPM? Ori? Blame TPTB for the names if you must, but these are very important terms that we can't search for because of this stupid (IMHO) limitation.

Comment

that is, ultimately, a greg question i believe. And i think it has to do with system resources and the strain on the server(s) to sift through millions of posts searching for words.

I will leave it to him to answer though

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              Is there anyway to fix it so the Search function won't act like that?

I mean, ZPM? Ori? Blame TPTB for the names if you must, but these are very important terms that we can't search for because of this stupid (IMHO) limitation.
                              Try using the search method describe here:
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=49654

It works quite well.
                              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

If we need to use that search method, can't it be integrated into the navigation bar of the forum and then completely remove the forum search function or limit that one even more?
                                Signed,

Gregorius
                                Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                                Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Working...
                                X