This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by captain jake
    Is my sig breaking any spoiler rules? I dont think the pictures give anything away.
    It's 130 KB and the added text makes it too tall, but the image itself seems fine. If you reduce the filesize to 50 KB or below, and then either remove the text or shorten the image, it will conform to GateWorld policy.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

I suppose this is my fault, but I just realized that we've got something of a duplicate topic going on here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=5516866

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=5515672

Their topic seems to be taking a different direction, however....so maybe it's different enough to stand alone. I don't know, but I'd like a moderator to take a quick look, and then decide what would be best. Thanks!
      There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

How do I submit a possible story for the producers? It is set for a future season and deals with the current crisis.
        "In the middle of my back swing?!"

Comment

They will take sumbissions from writers' Agents, not from Writers. If you are a professional writer with an agent, get your agent to enquire about how TPTB like their submissions. If you are an amateur, however good, it'll be hard. You have to get an agent, and ideally some credibility - which comes from practical experience at writing an actual script that is made and broadcast.

Joe Mallozzi (a long-time writer on the show) suggests that aspiring writers start small before they have a crack at the shows they really want to write for. He cut his teeth on cartoons for small children.

Madeleine

Comment

About the Fan Reviews threads:

Once you post in the Fan Reviews threads, your post will disappear. It might never reappear, or it might reappear in all its shiny glory, or it might appear with edits (I'm not entirely sure if we'll be editing them at all - this is new for us too ). You might wish to keep a copy of your original saved on your Hard Drive.

At the moment we're finding our feet with it, and we're going to be a little slower than we hope to eventually be in considering and deciding on the reviews we accept. Also, you haven't yet had a chance to see what sort of thing we're looking for. Those of you who used to read the reviews we had on the site before will have an idea, but everyone has different styles and naturally with a larger group of contributors the styles will be more varied.

Thank you to the people who have so far submitted reviews. We're looking forward to rolling some of them out
            Last edited by Madeleine; 15 July 2006, 03:15 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

So... even with the stipulation that fan reviews don't necessarily reflect the views of Gateworld everyone's "reviews" are gonna be gone over with a fine-toothed comb and only the ones that say nothing but great things meet with approval are going to be allowed?

Tell me again what the point is of even having fan reviews when you can just post your reviews in the discussion thread without it getting deleted or edited for content?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                So... even with the stipulation that fan reviews don't necessarily reflect the views of Gateworld everyone's "reviews" are gonna be gone over with a fine-toothed comb and only the ones that say nothing but great things meet with approval are going to be allowed?
                Um, no one said only positive reviews get through. If you take some time to read the guidelines, you'll know precisely what we are looking for, and what kinds of entries we will accept.
                Tell me again what the point is of even having fan reviews when you can just post your reviews in the discussion thread without it getting deleted or edited for content?
                You are more than welcome not to contribute to it if you don't like the idea.

Comment

just like it says, they're not edited for opinion, they're edited to make sure that they ARE reviews. one sided bashing is not a review, one sided squeeing is not a review. an opinion of the episode, with both positive and negative points, supported by 'proof' from the show is more of what we're looking for.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

You post a review in the episode review thread just through a traditonal thread reply (as in hit "post reply"), right? If that's the case, I'd just like to point out that the "No Man's Land" review thread is currently closed...
                    Rocky

Comment

Is your issue with the fact that they have to meet with our approval at all, or with the criteria we'll use?

We HAVE to be editors, if that thread is to be used for reviews. If we didn't, then people would post "omg that was so good i am gonna watch it again and again i loved it vala rocks sam kicks butt go sg-1 more of the same pleez for ep2". Which isn't a review.

Or people would post synopsis instead of review. Or people would post rebuttals of other people's reviews, instead of reviews.

We want the quality to be high. Remember Lex's reviews? She often didn't like an episode, and she'd say so, but her English was perfect and she didn't summarise scene after scene.

As to the criteria we (will) use, you'll know what we *do* accept by what you see on the thread. You'll never find out what we *don't* accept, unless you submit stuff yourself, because we won't be publishing a 'and here's what we rejected' list. Anything that doesn't meet with the guidelines (too short, not a review but a praesis, no structure) will not get through.

Look at guideline #4. Doesn't that make it implicit that we expect reviews from people who did AND people who didn't like the episode?

The 'point' of having them is the same as the point of having reviews on the main site when we used to do that. So that people can read them. I like reading them. People who don't like reading them probably won't read them, but that can be said of any thread and any part of the website. The ep discussion thread will still be there for people who like to discuss, and to bat ideas about with other people.
                      Last edited by Madeleine; 15 July 2006, 11:09 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Pasternak
                        You post a review in the episode review thread just through a traditonal thread reply (as in hit "post reply"), right? If that's the case, I'd just like to point out that the "No Man's Land" review thread is currently closed...
                        I don't think it is. It lets you post, but swallows posts whole. A closed thread doesn't let you post.

If anyone has any trouble getting a 'post reply' window up, let us know. Don't fret if your post instantly disappears. That's how the thread is supposed to work.

Madeleine

Comment

Hey guys

I was wondering... what is considered a spoiler pic? Are all pics from Flesh and Blood spoilers? Or just (like for me) the obvious plot details and guest stars etc?

Like say is this or this a spoiler?

Thanks a bunches!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronja
                            Hey guys

I was wondering... what is considered a spoiler pic? Are all pics from Flesh and Blood spoilers? Or just (like for me) the obvious plot details and guest stars etc?

Like say is this or this a spoiler?

Thanks a bunches!
                            Any pics that reveal any plot points are considered spoilers. For example, for the Season 4 episode "Divide and Conquer," a picture of Sam in front of the Stargate would not be a spoiler, but a picture of Sam holding Martouf's dead body definitely would be.

The two links you posted here are spoilers because people could infer many things based on the clothing and the setting.

Comment

Newbies can see no avatar for a female Nox, but there are multiple avatars for male Nox. That does not seem fair. Can you please add one for a lady Nox?

I have read the FAQ. If newbies have 2 or 3 male Nox to choose from, it makes sense to at least have one female. Otherwise, how many posts would I need to have before I can use the female Nox as my avatar?
                              Last edited by Seamaiden; 16 July 2006, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                                Any pics that reveal any plot points are considered spoilers. For example, for the Season 4 episode "Divide and Conquer," a picture of Sam in front of the Stargate would not be a spoiler, but a picture of Sam holding Martouf's dead body definitely would be.

The two links you posted here are spoilers because people could infer many things based on the clothing and the setting.
                                Oh okay thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X