Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a weird question, but I was wondering why the official discussion thread for "The Gift" does not have an episode number associated with it like the rest of the episode threads.
    Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Pasternak
      This is a weird question, but I was wondering why the official discussion thread for "The Gift" does not have an episode number associated with it like the rest of the episode threads.
      Yeah it does....... *whistles*
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Anything related to the server, database, or software malfunctioning (white screen o' death, 'server not found' errors, etc.) is Greg's territory. Hopefully he'll pop into this thread!
        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I was curious: this month supposedly marks the new hardware configuration setup that will hopefully alleviate GateWrold's growing pains. Has that new hardware setup been executed yet?

Comment

Question on spoilers, yes I did go here FAQ but it didn't really help.

TameFarrar made reference in the Dr Who threads to spoilers for episodes of Dr Who, I am assuming she (?) meant spoilers for the UK episodes. Is this correct? Just the UK not the US?

Comment

Dear Moderators

Is it possible that a Gateworld Forum Etiquette manual can be created?

It appears that my culture is too different that other people's on this forum...so whenever I think I'm being polite and friendly others think different.

e.g.

I created a thread and with the replies that I got on it I replied back because I thought it was good points and wanted to add some more questions/thoughts that those posts.

Now I got a PM stating that I might consider stopping multiposting because it can be considered as spamming?

That is not what my intentions were at all. Or maybe the person was referring to my posts at the Star Trek place?

I don't know.

I'm now too scared to even consider posting anything else, because what if my actions can be considered spamming and I get into trouble??

What if people start ignoring me altogether or decide to red rep me or something.

I know the person that PM me meant well, but still...

Also what exactly does multiposting mean...is it when you're replying to most of the posts in the thread that you created (as I thought)...is it when you have more than one thread (in different places)...is it when you post the same comment at various places (which I didn't)...or is it something from the twilight zone...oh deary.

Or maybe I just don't understand English properly because my homelanguage is Afrikaans.

Also whenever I want to post something positive people seem to get upset with it. Is that a culture thing or does people just like to complaint for the sake of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sela
                You know Darren, I'm sure many of us would be willing to make voluntary regular 'donations' to the site. A number of us do so on other web sites.

I made a number of very good friends here and have had quite a bit of fun over the last couple of years. I, for one, wouldn't mind contibuting to the upkeep of GW financially. Especially if it would make some of the ads go away.
                I would gladly donate to help support the site in exchange for some official patches of SGA and SG1 for a set of diplomatic jackets for my wife and I.

"in addition to having superior firepower, peace through superior intellect!"
                Signature to remain private from online usage at this "time"

Comment

Originally posted by NG.1
                  Dear Moderators

Is it possible that a Gateworld Forum Etiquette manual can be created?

It appears that my culture is too different that other people's on this forum...so whenever I think I'm being polite and friendly others think different.

e.g.

I created a thread and with the replies that I got on it I replied back because I thought it was good points and wanted to add some more questions/thoughts that those posts.

Now I got a PM stating that I might consider stopping multiposting because it can be considered as spamming?

That is not what my intentions were at all. Or maybe the person was referring to my posts at the Star Trek place?

I don't know.

I'm now too scared to even consider posting anything else, because what if my actions can be considered spamming and I get into trouble??

What if people start ignoring me altogether or decide to red rep me or something.

I know the person that PM me meant well, but still...

Also what exactly does multiposting mean...is it when you're replying to most of the posts in the thread that you created (as I thought)...is it when you have more than one thread (in different places)...is it when you post the same comment at various places (which I didn't)...or is it something from the twilight zone...oh deary.

Or maybe I just don't understand English properly because my homelanguage is Afrikaans.

Also whenever I want to post something positive people seem to get upset with it. Is that a culture thing or does people just like to complaint for the sake of it?
                  Well, lemme see... in addition to the Forum FAQ and Rules (click the links at the top of the page), there are one or two other places to get general info, for example Here
                  Spamming is in the eye of the beholder (as is interpretation of much of the posting on a public forum), but in general I would say if you're posting more than 3 or 4 times in a row without specifically quoting people, or not really saying a lot in your posts then others might consider that spamming

I wouldn't take getting one or two red rep points too seriously, but if all you're getting is red then you may want to consider if there is a valid reason from the readers perspective. I know it's hard when English is not your native language, just keep in mind that sincere attempts to communicate thoughtful ideas and perspectives will go a long way.

I hope that helps!

Comment

What they are likely talking about is immediately subsequent posts (one after another, after another). The general practice is if you have more to add to a thread, but you were also that last person to post, to simply edit your last post to include the new information.
                    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater
                      Well, lemme see... in addition to the Forum FAQ and Rules (click the links at the top of the page), there are one or two other places to get general info, for example Here
                      Spamming is in the eye of the beholder (as is interpretation of much of the posting on a public forum), but in general I would say if you're posting more than 3 or 4 times in a row without specifically quoting people, or not really saying a lot in your posts then others might consider that spamming

I wouldn't take getting one or two red rep points too seriously, but if all you're getting is red then you may want to consider if there is a valid reason from the readers perspective. I know it's hard when English is not your native language, just keep in mind that sincere attempts to communicate thoughtful ideas and perspectives will go a long way.

I hope that helps!
                      Thanks. Just one more question please...if I do quote people's comment and then reply saying I agree or disagree for the following reasons can that be considered spamming?

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                        Question on spoilers, yes I did go here FAQ but it didn't really help.

TameFarrar made reference in the Dr Who threads to spoilers for episodes of Dr Who, I am assuming she (?) meant spoilers for the UK episodes. Is this correct? Just the UK not the US?
                        Nope I meant just what I said spoilers for *other shows* currently airing IN the USA. As in the case of Dr Who, the USA is just now currently airing the 9th Dr or Season 1 so anything regarding that is a spoiler. Which would definitely mean anything regarding the next season is a spoiler.

I know Madeleine wrote the guidelines regarding this. If you are having an issue finding it let me know and I will search it out for you.
                        Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Thanks. Just one more question please...if I do quote people's comment and then reply saying I agree or disagree for the following reasons can that be considered spamming?
                          No when you are replying to a specific person and engaging in thoughtful discussion that is never considered spamming

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                            Nope I meant just what I said spoilers for *other shows* currently airing IN the USA. As in the case of Dr Who, the USA is just now currently airing the 9th Dr or Season 1 so anything regarding that is a spoiler. Which would definitely mean anything regarding the next season is a spoiler.

I know Madeleine wrote the guidelines regarding this. If you are having an issue finding it let me know and I will search it out for you.
                            What? So what happens if the SciFi channel dumps the show but doesn't actually tell anyone? In other words what if they decide to not show series 28 (it is series 28 btw not 2).

What happens if the show never goes into syndication?

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                              What? So what happens if the SciFi channel dumps the show but doesn't actually tell anyone? In other words what if they decide to not show series 28 (it is series 28 btw not 2).

What happens if the show never goes into syndication?
                              While it is airing over here in the USA you follow the Season here and I highly doubt that it will go unnoticed around here if Sci-Fi drops it. From what I understand we do not apply the syndication rule to *other shows* just the Current and Future seasons. and Yes I do realize that it is 28 for ya'all but for us its Season 1

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                                While it is airing over here in the USA you follow the Season here and I highly doubt that it will go unnoticed around here if Sci-Fi drops it. From what I understand we do not apply the syndication rule to *other shows* just the Current and Future seasons. and Yes I do realize that it is 28 for ya'all but for us its Season 1
                                OK you do know I am not British?

Alright I will play nice and spoil or start threads with spoiler in the title...oh another thing what about sigs?
                                Spoiler:

You cannot expect me to not put David Tennant in a sig! I mean I have already but that is a big spoiler. So no David?
                                Last edited by TameFarrar; 12 April 2006, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X