What happened to Eli's grief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mozzza View Post
    I think it was a decision made to drop the Ginn/Amanda death line for now for three reasons (I also think it was a good decision.)

-Many people were very unhappy about their deaths and hated the decision to kill them off, by extending the grief, those viewers may decide to drop SGU all together.
    -Malice felt like a good ending to the chapter. The gun at the end signified a close.
    -Moving the grief aside allowed for concentration to the upcoming cliff hanger.
    One huge problem with that idea , when do you think the episode was shot? a good guess is that its not shot before they aired the episode with Ginn´s death.

So nah nothing that clever , its just SGU producers in a nutshelll where they dont use the previous arc development - (That much)

But one thing though you might be right in, they might be using the grief and previous epsiodes events for a huge cliffhanger where they all just go nuts and kill each other or something else
    Last edited by Jacdru; 25 November 2010, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
      I think it's a stretch to state that there is no arc development when what appears to be the case is 'no immediate arc development'. This is not an episodic offering. For all you know, this could be an issue in a later episode, as in, not one focusing on another character. Seriously, if we were to be offered developments on the effects on every single character, each episode would be 3 hours long Not that I'd mind, but seriously, they've got about 42 minutes to present a story that furthers the storyline they're developing. Maybe we're just expected to accept that grief, hair washing, bathroom breaks, and craziness all happen and let the episodes be the episodes?
      Your right in maybe we should let episodes be episodes but most good shows have a red line through all their episodes where something, it might be small or even big things are like a rock you threw in the water, it makes ripples that goes outward making an impact on things away from the initial impact.

Also one thing that really bugs me, seriously how are anyone to believe that the Eden people would be so stupid that they wouldn´t be able to survive the winter?

Like they wouldn´t have been able to fix the door or make a door that would keep most of the heat in and let them store food and water and wood for the fire for the duration of the winter.

And if anyone says “well they don’t know how long the winter is” well that’s not true, they came by star-ship and by that they would know the planets rotation and its orbit around the sun. So they would have a pretty good idea about how long the winter is.

And come on I know they are “egg-heads” and probably not used to fix mechanics, but they are clever so they would have been able to learn it fast or read the manual for the tools they took with them.

All in All the writers must have had their head on their arm when they made this episode or the whole episode was just to round up the Eden storyline and give back a shuttle to Destiny.

Comment

The shuttle was broken and power was out. It's a million year old ancient spaceship, they might be smart people but it's not like fixing a household appliance ( which isn't always easy either without knowledge of how it works ). If they need to leave the door open the cold will get in, big gap or small gap, especially if it is a long and harsh winter with limited supplies. I'm not suprised they didn't make it. And I found their fate to be quite dramatic, a bit macarbe even. I liked that sad notion, dying of cold a billion lightyears from home.

I guess it was too bad we didn't see Eli and Rush' grief but I think to resolve that properly you'll need to dedicate some more screentime instead of scenes of a few seconds. Eli or Rush randomly crying in a corner isn't clear enough. Also they were occupied with the return of the Eden people, but mostly I think it would need some proper scenes.
        Last edited by The Destiny; 25 November 2010, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacdru View Post
          Your right in maybe we should let episodes be episodes but most good shows have a red line through all their episodes where something, it might be small or even big things are like a rock you threw in the water, it makes ripples that goes outward making an impact on things away from the initial impact.

Also one thing that really bugs me, seriously how are anyone to believe that the Eden people would be so stupid that they wouldn´t be able to survive the winter?

Like they wouldn´t have been able to fix the door or make a door that would keep most of the heat in and let them store food and water and wood for the fire for the duration of the winter.

And if anyone says “well they don’t know how long the winter is” well that’s not true, they came by star-ship and by that they would know the planets rotation and its orbit around the sun. So they would have a pretty good idea about how long the winter is.

And come on I know they are “egg-heads” and probably not used to fix mechanics, but they are clever so they would have been able to learn it fast or read the manual for the tools they took with them.

All in All the writers must have had their head on their arm when they made this episode or the whole episode was just to round up the Eden storyline and give back a shuttle to Destiny.
          I think you may be looking for things to be bugged about
          I've yet to see Visitation so I don't know if there's "no" tie in to previous events (I've found that a surprising amount of people don't see a lot of things. I'm not saying this is the case for you, just that I've seen it before). Plot points have not always followed up in the abutting episode, so expecting that something that took place in the last MUST be noted upon here isn't paying attention to every other episode that's gone before. As for the scientists, assuming that because they know it's winter that they're smart enough (or have the resources) to survive that winter is quite a stretch. Pitch a good deal of us into the middle of winter with the belief that magical aliens/gods will take care of us might mean some of us won't plan for anything and end up dead.
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

You know they probably did have a scene or two in which Eli mentioned it but it was dropped for time purposes. Listening to the DVD commentaries of season one its clear scenes are chopped all the time. In fact in an upcoming episode that had flashbacks of TJ's past, the flashbacks were thrown out the window for time purposes as well. So my guess is any comments about Ginn were booted. The early kino scene with Eli in "Visitation" was so abrupt, so quick that I'm sure it probably lasted at least another minute which would mean during that time he may have talked about Ginn's death. Just a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by tomalak View Post
              So I guess in your imagination everybody deals with grief in the same way; by openly expressing their feelings. A rather limited imagination, don't you think?
              You're assuming I give a damn about watching Eli grief, which I don't. It's just a personal preference that I want to watch the series as one big long story like BSG. This episode was so out of place, it felt like a cheap budget coverup. Same thing happen from Pathogen to Cloverdale. Money talks, and that's why they don't feature the LA every episode because they can't afford it, which is a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                Maybe hes hiding it from everyone and will soon explode
                Agreed. I know several people who like rush, put all their grief asside and went righ into continuing to work, till it came back out...

That is how Stargate has always been, so was really no surprise things were just reset and a new story emerges or continues from a past episode.
                The only time i can remember them NOT languashing on it, was with wier, and when daniel died..

It was also about the people on the shuttle coming back, it was about TJ's grief over her baby, and they even included a shot of the repair bot working on the hydroponics dome, which is something very minor they mentioned way back in Trial and Error..
                When?? All i saw was a fully repaired dome and lab.. And TJ walking someone around showing them the new bay.

Comment

The repair bot was outside the dome, look for its shadow and the sparks as it welds

I wasnt too chuffed to see Eli back to being (almost) the humorous centre of the crew, as Eli wasnt that emotionally mature it should have hit him harder than Rush.

I can only Eli does go off the rails to some degree soon just to show that problems as complicated as 'Malice' arent solved with a simple gunshot and a fade to black.

N.C

Comment

I understand that losing Chloe was more the story this week than losing Ginn a week ago, but all it would've taken was one line. Seriously.

Eli's Kino Scene: "I'm losing Chloe... like I lost Ginn."

Bam. That's it. That would've told us he was still thinking about her, added a weight to the potential loss of Chloe and just really would've been a better alternative to nothing. Ideally, I would've gotten that and a small Rush moment, but nope. Only Greer's sling referenced Malice.

Probably my first actual disappointment with the show's writers since how the LA was dealt with in Aftermath.

You know they probably did have a scene or two in which Eli mentioned it but it was dropped for time purposes. Listening to the DVD commentaries of season one its clear scenes are chopped all the time. In fact in an upcoming episode that had flashbacks of TJ's past, the flashbacks were thrown out the window for time purposes as well. So my guess is any comments about Ginn were booted. The early kino scene with Eli in "Visitation" was so abrupt, so quick that I'm sure it probably lasted at least another minute which would mean during that time he may have talked about Ginn's death. Just a hunch.
                    See, that makes sense, yeah, but some things like that really shouldn't be cut. It's a character show, and the tiniest things matter, especially if it ties into the previous episodes and doesn't make the character look like he doesn't care. They could've easily trimmed the fat off some other scenes for at least twenty seconds and just one impacting Eli line.
                    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Do people really want to see every single character depressed on Destiny?

Comment

Eventually he figured out he knew the girl for like 2 weeks, was making out a little and that's it. People rarely fall in undying love on first sight.. But people may get desperate and lonely when they're some billion light years away from home. So from my side, he may well be very disturbed of a person dying abruptly, but I wouldn't like him grieving for the rest of the season.
                        Any sufficiently advanced race is indistinguishable from god.

(..to any insufficiently advanced race)

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                          Just out of curiosity, does it depress you seeing depressed people on a TV show ? Just asking because I've read quite a bunch of posts from you implying something like this.

As for your question, I for one don't want to see everybody depressed all the time, but I can't object if they feel like this the majority of the time given the circumstances. Visitation was quite the perfect mix of emotions IMHO; we had quite a few scenes with people working on the situation and getting used to it, i.e. the atheistic-booze-guy who talked with Rush about the radiation-thingy. When people complain about such mundane things like lack of booze, I'll take it as a hint they won't start a mutiny soon or shoot themselves in the head. On the other side there was TJ, majorly depressed. Quite fitting, if you ask me.
                          Any sufficiently advanced race is indistinguishable from god.

(..to any insufficiently advanced race)

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                            Well when one character actually has half a decent reason to be sorta depressed a week later, then maybe it should actually happen. And besides, I don't think everyone's depressed... at once. It's a rotation system - this week Wray and Young escaped the cut.
                            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                              Eli's Kino Scene: "I'm losing Chloe... like I lost Ginn."
                              For what reason? We see that he suffers - and it is enough. We know that he suffers for them both - for Ginn and Chloe. Yes, he mentions only Chloe. Most of people would avoid to remember so painful stuff as Eli would when mentioning Ginn - he would be floored in seconds. Instead he eats it up (as good geek would do), but we see that he is disturbed.

Do you really need everything to bee spoon fed to you?

Comment

Originally posted by lars View Post
                                Just out of curiosity, does it depress you seeing depressed people on a TV show ? Just asking because I've read quite a bunch of posts from you implying something like this.
                                I wouldn't say it makes me depressed but it can definitely kill a good mood and it certainly doesn't improve my mood. Its more oppressing than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                                X