What happened to Eli's grief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dgh64 View Post
    Was anyone else disappointed that they didn't even mention Ginn's death, or how Eli's dealing with it? I'm not sure how much time is supposed to be passing between episodes, but it seems like they should've had at least one scene where he was crying on Chloe's shoulder, or something. But he seems to suddenly be back to his normal self (well, normal for him anyway)

That is how Stargate has always been, so was really no surprise things were just reset and a new story emerges or continues from a past episode. Even Rush seemed to be back on track on things. There was not even a mention about the events that happened last week. A few lines from each character would of been sufficient, imo.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Apples to oranges comparrassion.
      Seeing you of all people type that just made me laugh. I know you'll never concede a point, out of principle, but it's always fun to see how you turn the next argument your way. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelara View Post
        Seeing you of all people type that just made me laugh. I know you'll never concede a point, out of principle, but it's always fun to see how you turn the next argument your way. Carry on.
        Keep it to the issue and leave personal problems to PM. This thread is not about me.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
          That is how Stargate has always been, so was really no surprise things were just reset and a new story emerges or continues from a past episode. Even Rush seemed to be back on track on things. There was not even a mention about the events that happened last week. A few lines from each character would of been sufficient, imo.
          Yeah and it worked in that context, but SGU was supposed to be about drama and characters, no?
          It's poor characterization, if the people don't change, and have their behaviour reflect the circumstances and recent events.
          Or in this case, if only Young has actual charactergrowth and struggles.

Comment

It kind of was. You can't have Chloe and Eli going on an off-world mission if one is ticked off at the other.
            Oh, but you can have Eli flying Kinos and stuff, even going to talk to Chloe about her problems, while he's super-depressed about his dead girlfriend, that's fine...

Comment

Originally posted by vszulc View Post
              Yeah and it worked in that context, but SGU was supposed to be about drama and characters, no?
              It's poor characterization, if the people don't change, and have their behaviour reflect the circumstances and recent events.
              Or in this case, if only Young has actual charactergrowth and struggles.
              See, after the Greater Good, you had Young telling Rush, to take a break relax we'll call you when something important happens, and Rush seemed very appreciated. It is things like that, that continue the characterization. The Rush and Young conflict should be over now, if it is not, then these characters are going nowhere. Young trusting Rush and vice versa is a huge character development aspect. Now with Eli and Rush from "Malice" there was nothing to show for that episode in the next one. So sometimes they continue it and sometimes they don't. As I said many times the Young and Rush conflict has been my favorite drama for the show, but it had to end eventually, and I loved the way it ended.
              sigpic

Comment

Oh, but you can have Eli flying Kinos and stuff, even going to talk to Chloe about her problems, while he's super-depressed about his dead girlfriend, that's fine...
                Like I said this episode was about Chloe changing so yes it makes sense in that context
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I never said that. If you look up to a previous post the episode wasn't about. He was only in a few scenes. An episode not about him would be jarring to include a grieving scene.
                  I know but serious this is why SGU has so low ratings, it has absolut no arc-development, and it doesnt have to be much, like the one with chloe after the "civil-war" came and said hey eli you ok with this, it could have been the same with Eli and rush or anyone, just a brief exchange while they walked down the hall.

Comment

Like I said this episode was about Chloe changing so yes it makes sense in that context
                    It was also about the people on the shuttle coming back, it was about TJ's grief over her baby, and they even included a shot of the repair bot working on the hydroponics dome, which is something very minor they mentioned way back in Trial and Error...... like I said, episodes can involve more than one story arc at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                      See, after the Greater Good, you had Young telling Rush, to take a break relax we'll call you when something important happens, and Rush seemed very appreciated. It is things like that, that continue the characterization. The Rush and Young conflict should be over now, if it is not, then these characters are going nowhere. Young trusting Rush and vice versa is a huge character development aspect. Now with Eli and Rush from "Malice" there was nothing to show for that episode in the next one. So sometimes they continue it and sometimes they don't. As I said many times the Young and Rush conflict has been my favorite drama for the show, but it had to end eventually, and I loved the way it ended.
                      No reason to continue that drama just for kicks, but it seems like Young is the only character that goes to actual growth, and whose portrayal reflect the story.
                      Rush just lost the love of his life. Eli as well. You think their behaviour in last episode shows that? I'm asking cause I really don't. Eli's waltzing around cracking lame jokes and being Chloes emotional doormat like usually.

Well isn't the point of a drama with focus on characters that the characters are more than props? That they change and act accordingly to what happens around them, even IF the focus of the episode is on another character.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacdru View Post
                        like the one with chloe after the "civil-war" came and said hey eli you ok with this, it could have been the same with Eli and rush or anyone, just a brief exchange while they walked down the hall.
                        WRONG! Chloe sat down at another table at breakfast the next day! And Eli looked at her sadly! And... Eh, well yeah, that was pretty much it.

Hmmm, I think you might have a point here.

Comment

I think it was a decision made to drop the Ginn/Amanda death line for now for three reasons (I also think it was a good decision.)

-Many people were very unhappy about their deaths and hated the decision to kill them off, by extending the grief, those viewers may decide to drop SGU all together.
                          -Malice felt like a good ending to the chapter. The gun at the end signified a close.
                          -Moving the grief aside allowed for concentration to the upcoming cliff hanger.
                          SyFy: "Are you SGU fans done asking for a third season?"
                          SGU Fans: "WE'LL NEVER BE DONE!"

SAVE SGU! SGU CAMPAIGNS ARE UNITING AT SG:UNITE!
                          ACTION PLAN TO GET SGU SEASON 3!

I have gotten 15 people hooked on SGU. How many more can you get? ‎
                          Spoiler:
                          *beep*
                          Young: "What the hell was that?"
                          Eli: "It's Destiny letting us know it finished assembling the simulation. Either that or pi is done."

Comment

It was also about the people on the shuttle coming back, it was about TJ's grief over her baby, and they even included a shot of the repair bot working on the hydroponics dome, which is something very minor they mentioned way back in Trial and Error...... like I said, episodes can involve more than one story arc at a time.
                            The hydrophonics bay was used because they wanted an alone scene between Caine and TJ so it was very much part of the story. I just don't see the point of just randomly inserting an Eli grieving over Ginn. We got enough of that last week and he wasn't in this episode that much
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Jacdru View Post
                              I know but serious this is why SGU has so low ratings, it has absolut no arc-development, and it doesnt have to be much, like the one with chloe after the "civil-war" came and said hey eli you ok with this, it could have been the same with Eli and rush or anyone, just a brief exchange while they walked down the hall.
                              I think it's a stretch to state that there is no arc development when what appears to be the case is 'no immediate arc development'. This is not an episodic offering. For all you know, this could be an issue in a later episode, as in, not one focusing on another character. Seriously, if we were to be offered developments on the effects on every single character, each episode would be 3 hours long Not that I'd mind, but seriously, they've got about 42 minutes to present a story that furthers the storyline they're developing. Maybe we're just expected to accept that grief, hair washing, bathroom breaks, and craziness all happen and let the episodes be the episodes?
                              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Was anyone else disappointed that they didn't even mention Ginn's death, or how Eli's dealing with it? I'm not sure how much time is supposed to be passing between episodes, but it seems like they should've had at least one scene where he was crying on Chloe's shoulder, or something. But he seems to suddenly be back to his normal self (well, normal for him anyway)

I thought the same thing

Comment

Working...
                                X