What is Rush up to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
    I think I'm leaning to the fact that the "hallucinations" are actually leftovers from the chair experience. That it has somehow linked him to the ship. Case in point: Rush has only ever "hallucinated" on the bridge; why hasn't he seen them anywhere else?

So, Rush isn't crazy, or sociopathic, or psychopathic. He's functioning on a logical, pragmatic decision-making process. One that is possibly altered by torture, lack of sleep, possible alien modification, and the ship having some effect on his mind as well.

In that light, it's hard to blame him for much. Especially since, legally speaking, he's innocent of any involvement in Riley's death (at best, Young would bear sole responsibility).
    Of course Rush is fully responsible for his actions. There is no doubt he has had a very tough time but Rush is more than smart enough to realize that no one functions well when over worked and sleep deprived. If we followed your logic anyone who drives when tired and gets in an accident wouldn't be responsible. And if that is the case we should give a free pass to all drunk drivers too.

The source of his visions hasn't been determined yet but I agree are probably due to his chair experience. His visions whether a virtual manifestation of the ship's AI or from his guilty sub-consciousness doesn't change or excuse anything. The visions have provided him with valuable operational information and insight and a clear and honest appraisal of the responsibility he bears. The fact that he has ignored them is even more damning evidence that he has slipped back to the old Rush who was responsible for stranding everyone on a ship a universe away from all their family and friends.
    Last edited by Blackhole; 24 October 2010, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Too bad that everyone will pretty much realize that Rush was right all along when knowledge of the bridge and the ship's mission become known. In light of that, Rush has been doing the right thing all along. ;p
      As you have amply and repeatedly demonstrated Rush can do no wrong in your eyes and you will say anything rather than admitting you were wrong and Rush was to blame for Riley’s death and the loss of the shuttle and Telford.
      Last edited by Blackhole; 23 October 2010, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Yeah, more convinced now that Rush is talking to the ship, in a manner of speaking. But even if he isn't, the fact that he's inwardly questioning his actions, shows he's more sane than anyone else aboard. Probably helps that deep down, he knows he's doing the right thing.
        How can you possibly draw that conclusion, considering since cracking the ship's master code Rush has mainly been responsible for the loss of the shuttle, Riley's death and the loss of Telford. Framing poor Chloe to hide his deception is his latest reprehensible action. Taking sole control of Destiny is imo reflective of far worse judgment than Young has ever shown and is the same level of arrogant self-serving ill considered gross negligence that stranded everyone on Destiny in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
          How can you possibly draw that conclusion, considering since cracking the ship's master code Rush has mainly been responsible for the loss of the shuttle, Riley's death and the loss of Telford. Framing poor Chloe to hide his deception is his latest reprehensible action. Taking sole control of Destiny is imo reflective of far worse judgment than Young has ever shown and is the same level of arrogant self-serving ill considered gross negligence that stranded everyone on Destiny in the first place.
          Yep. Rush only cares about Rush and his own desires to figure out Destiny. The rest is 2nd priority. That is not to say he doesn't feel remorse of what he does. He conversations with hallucination Gloria prove but ultimately he puts his own desires above the welfare of Destiny
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Yep. Rush only cares about Rush and his own desires to figure out Destiny. The rest is 2nd priority. That is not to say he doesn't feel remorse of what he does. He conversations with hallucination Gloria prove but ultimately he puts his own desires above the welfare of Destiny
            He is not a monster. He made poor decisions. I dont think his main intent was to get the others killed but to help the survival of the rest when the ship accidantly crashlanded on that planet. He most certainly wants his own way, but he doesnt want the death of everyone else.
            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
            There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Heh, I suppose that is ultimately why I have to shake my head and laugh at Rush-bashers, or people who wanna kill him or see him tortured. They are acting just like the rest of the loons on Destiny, like good ole crazy Young, caught up in their small moments and unable to see the bigger picture. That if they were on Destiny themselves, they'd wanna lynch the one man responsible for keeping their sorry ass alive.
              I haven't seen anyone bash Rush.

Rush's actions in the episodes before Faith weren't always in ship's or crew's best interest. After Faith I would agree they mostly were. Since he has discovered the command code and assumed nearly effective control of the ship his actions have been disastrous. It was only by the grace of God (and the show's writing) that only Riley died from the shuttle crash. If everyone on the shuttle had died it would have been catastrophic. I don't see how the shuttle crash, Riley's death, abandoning Telford and framing Chloe (to cover his butt and hide his deception) were in the ship or crew's best interest? Please enlighten me how they were?

Admit it, Rush is your Golden Boy and can do no wrong in your eyes. Your attempts to argue that Rush was not responsible for the shuttle crash and the loss of Telford are just plain silly. The ship and/or Rush’s own sub-consciousness mind clearly and without a doubt hold him responsible. Your argument that someone can think they are guilty and not really be is as weak as they come. Why would the “Gloria and Franklin” characters be present if not to demonstrate Rush’s clear guilt? Do you really expect anyone to believe that later episodes will suggest that both the ship and his own conscience were judging poor Rush unfairly? Your assertion is dramatically outlandish.
              Last edited by Blackhole; 24 October 2010, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                He is not a monster. He made poor decisions. I dont think his main intent was to get the others killed but to help the survival of the rest when the ship accidantly crashlanded on that planet. He most certainly wants his own way, but he doesnt want the death of everyone else.
                He doesn't want anyone else to die because he needs a crew of some kind to fulfill his objectives. If it weren't for the fact that he needed a crew to run the ship, he would have written them all off long ago. Additionally, "Gloria" and "Franklin" in his mind knows that he's made terrible decisions. And they are calling him out for those poor choices. He's going to answer for those choices sooner or later. It's only a matter of time before the crew finds out he's cracked the code as even Brody is getting suspicious. Once they find out, he's going to find it difficult to defend his position with his ends justifies the means ad nauseam defense.
                Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 23 October 2010, 06:57 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

I like rush, but some of the choices he's made has pissed me off, like when he basically killed Ryley(Aftermath), and stranded Telford(Awakening). But i dont care a whole lot because it's just a TV show. but he probably wants the ship for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                    I never said he wanted people to die. Its just Rush's desires to him are more important then the lives of those around him in the way Rush gambles with people's lives all the time
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Is Rush right?

I'd say yes. After all, everyone else has proven to be an idiot, and do you really trust mouth-breathers handling complex stuff? Not really. No one else had enough brains to take a look at the planet in Aftermath and determine the risks. They were all, "hurrdurr, let's go off and land here without checking any of Destiny's sensors!" And young was all like, "Good idea! Go! I shall give the order that will put all your lives at risk without getting much information before sending my people into harm's way!"

Also, Rush sat in the chair. Rush found the clue. Rush's program broke the code. So, shouldn't the results of his efforts be his?

Honestly, if the others prove they are smart enough to handle it, then perhaps they can be let in. Or if they manage to break the code, too. Sheeple just can't be trusted to run much, though.
                      Why would Eli, Volker, Brody and Park all of a sudden make such glaring errors and not evaluate the planet with the ship's sensors when they always have in the past? The only reasonable explanation is that the information wasn't present for some reason or more likely they all trusted Rush's judgment. Maybe Rush blocked it before he left the bridge? Rush is the expert and most everyone usually defers to him.
                      Last edited by Blackhole; 23 October 2010, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Note that this is incorrect. Rush doesn't want to lead the crew. You may wish to reevaluate your reasoning based on this.

Although I agree that Wray is seeming more and more like a better leader compared to Young. At the least, I feel she should be given a chance; ane that lasts longer than a few days, heh. Several months at least.

And legally speaking, Rush hasn't gotten anyone killed.
                        By withholding knowledge of his control of the bridge Rush has effectively taken control of Destiny.

And yes by withholding critical information from Young, Destiny's legitimate leader, he is legally responsible for the shuttle's crash and the loss of Telford. It would be the same if someone was questioned by a law enforcement officer and lied to them. If the lie hampered their investigation and led to harm of someone else they could be charged with Felony Obstruction of Justice and if convicted imprisoned.

Rush lied to Young and falsely represented the planet as far safer than it actually was. Young trusted his information and dispatched the shuttle. The shuttle crashed and a valuable member of the crew died as a result. It was only by the grace of god (and the show's writing) that everyone else on board survived. It is also clear that Rush deliberately lied. He can't hide behind: I am sorry but it was an honest mistake.
                        Last edited by Blackhole; 24 October 2010, 05:23 AM.

Comment

It's pretty much summed up by his statements when they found that robot. He didn't want anyone else fiddling with it, because only he knows best how to go about things. And in that respect, he's pretty much right (although Eli will probably surpass him someday).

But yeah, he only wants control of the science team, so he can make choices on how to study the ship. He doesn't want command over the other civilians or military. He doesn't want to be bogged down in every single decision about ship. But it's funny that, even if they don't like him, they defer to him anyway; witness them turning to Rush to ask what they should do about that alien on the seeder ship. Seriously, it's like everyone else is a moron.

So yeah, hiding things so that no one else hurts themselves fiddling with things they don't understand, seems to be a pretty good idea. Of course, no one likes being told to sit in a corner and to keep their hands still, so I can understand the resentment.
                          Again, how can you possibly draw this conclusion, considering that since cracking the ship's master code Rush is mainly responsible for the loss of the shuttle, Riley's death and the loss of Telford. I don't see how Young and the others could do much worse.
                          Last edited by Blackhole; 23 October 2010, 08:11 PM.

Comment

It's a good point, which harkens back to Darkness. Everyone started pushing buttons without really understanding what they were doing. Only Rush could see they were losing power. If no one else has the expertise to really understand things, perhaps they should be content not having access to something like the bridge.

Rush is right about Young; once the bridge becomes known, young would take it over, and other people would be up there pushing buttons, and causing far more harm that Rush ever could. Once he understands the systems, he can probably start instructing some people on what to do. Right now, he's the only qualified person to be up there.

So the real question is: Why reveal the bridge to everyone else at all?
                            Again, since cracking the ship's master code Rush is mainly responsible for the loss of the shuttle, Riley's death and the loss of Telford. Framing poor Chloe to hide his deception is his latest reprehensible action. Taking sole control of Destiny is imo reflective of far worse judgment than Young has ever shown and is the same level of arrogant self-serving ill considered gross negligence that stranded everyone on Destiny in the first place.
                            Last edited by Blackhole; 23 October 2010, 08:09 PM.

Comment

A good way of looking at it. He's pretty much doing this for everyone's benefit. Yet we have short-sighted people with wounded egos who can't take the fact that he's doing it for the greater good. If he can stop the ship for longer periods of time, then they won't have to worry so much about possibly stranding people.
                              Sorry, I just don't see your greater good.

Comment

It's already been established that Rush wasn't responsible. As morbosfist pointed out, those in the control room have access to all the same information. Also, Young gave the order.
                                It has only been established in your mind and the minds of a few others.

Comment

Working...
                                X