No announcement yet.

So, is Young still "the man"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps Young would be more considerate when offloading the Alliance and find them a better planet. Bet Varro would totally call him on it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
      Actually, that was Scott's call from the outset.
      True. My bad.
      sigpic

Comment

young slept with TJ he is def still the man.
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

PA,

So when
          Spoiler:
          Varro
          starts sleeping with her does he get the title?
          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
            PA,

So when
            Spoiler:
            Varro
            starts sleeping with her does he get the title?
            You do realize he was joking?
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
              He foolishly attacked Dannick. If Varro hadn’t interceded he would have killed everyone on board. Dannick was volatile and brutal. Attacking him served no purpose but to severely provoke him. Young’s anger issues are out of control and his judgment is questionable.
              You are forgetting one small, but very important detail. Young attacked Dannick only after hearing that TJ was shot. When Varro was informing Dannick of the fact the camera cut to Young specifically to show his reaction. Personally, I think that his attack was more a reaction of a man who just found out that the woman he cared about, pregnant with his baby, was injured or possibly killed than a reaction of a commander who's about to be executed.

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
              Well given the circumstances Young still has no reason to trust him. The first thing Young probably thought when the gate came back on was that the LA changed their minds and were coming back to kill them. When Varro shows up with 5 of so other LAs Young has no way to know whether they are honest or not. Not to mention Young had other things to deal with at the time rather than figure out what to do with Varro and his people.
              Exactly. Heck, that was my first thought too.

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
              He waited for Varro to explain before moving on with what he was doing. Varro's statement changes nothing, and frankly what reason does he have to be sympathetic? He didn't acknowledge him and could have at least made a passing comment about it, but he has every right to be petulant in this situation. This is the Lucian Alliance's fault, and Varro's just as guilty for the situation as anyone else is. Sure, Varro helped more than most, but can you honestly say you'd be chummy in the same situation?
              This.

All in all, Young's still The Man, it's just that finding his footing and getting his mojo back will probably take him some time. You know that saying that in order to really get well you need to hit the bottom first? That's kinda how I see Young now.

Also, I love crazy!Young. The more often we see him, the better.
              There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
              sigpic
              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

jelgate,

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                You do realize he was joking?
                Yes, I was being tounge in cheek right back.

All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Petra,

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                  You are forgetting one small, but very important detail. Young attacked Dannick only after hearing that TJ was shot. When Varro was informing Dannick of the fact the camera cut to Young specifically to show his reaction. Personally, I think that his attack was more a reaction of a man who just found out that the woman he cared about, pregnant with his baby, was injured or possibly killed than a reaction of a commander who's about to be executed.
                  Again, understandable but not acceptable in a commander. You don't let you emotions get the better of you like that. Young is letting his get the better of him, understandably, on a regular basis. That's a problem.

Exactly. Heck, that was my first thought too.
                  Once Young discovered they were unarmed and being marooned too refusing to talk to Varro helped, how?

All in all, Young's still The Man, it's just that finding his footing and getting his mojo back will probably take him some time. You know that saying that in order to really get well you need to hit the bottom first? That's kinda how I see Young now.
                  I agree Young's heading for the bottom. I like him but he's got serious issues.
                  Last edited by Ser Scot A Ellison; 01 October 2010, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                    ^^this exactly
                    It's very easy to forget that Young is just a guy. Sure, he's the commander but he's also just a man like any of them. If he didn't get emotional upon learning that TJ had been shot and his baby was lost, I'd really start to wonder about him. He's being pushed to the limits, sure, but there is nothing so out of the ordinary about a father reacting in that way. If perfect superhero characters are being sought here, you're not going to find them, not in any of the characters.
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

eg,

But, again, it's an example of him letting his emotions take control. He does this frequently.

Comment

eg,

But, again, it's an example of him letting his emotions take control. He does this frequently.
                        who hasn't in this show?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                          who hasn't in this show?
                          Riley
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Riley
                            and look what's happened to him - shot all the time, chucked around like a rag doll - essentially the damsel in distress. That man needs to lose it every once in a while or he won't have a head left
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                              ^^this exactly
                              It's very easy to forget that Young is just a guy. Sure, he's the commander but he's also just a man like any of them. If he didn't get emotional upon learning that TJ had been shot and his baby was lost, I'd really start to wonder about him. He's being pushed to the limits, sure, but there is nothing so out of the ordinary about a father reacting in that way. If perfect superhero characters are being sought here, you're not going to find them, not in any of the characters.
                              That's precisely why I love the character. While I personally think he's a crappy leader (and no, I haven't seen anyone who I think would be a good leader), I think it's wonderful that he is so damned human. He never asked for this job but obviously feels he's got to do it - that'll be his training talking, not his heart. Others (on the show) disagree that it's his job, but that's their perspective, from their training/position/whatever. Everyone (including him) trying to do what's best both for them and everyone else (quite often at crossed purposes) makes his hold on the reigns more tenuous, but that's why he's such an interesting and three dimensional character. In my opinion, it reflects what people (real people, not fictional superheroes) would actually be like under these circumstances.
                              sigpic

Comment

Petra,
                                Again, understandable but not acceptable in a commander. You don't let you emotions get the better of you like that. Young is letting his get the better of him, understandably, on a regular basis. That's a problem.
                                Would I be correct in assuming that in your opinion Jack O'Neill was a good commander? Are you prepared to argue that he never made decisions - sometimes wrong decisions - based on his emotions? It happens to everyone.

Besides, we are not talking about his leadership as a whole, but about this particular moment when he hears that his child may be dead and his emotions get the better of him. I can't help but remember the scene from "Cold Lazarus" when Jack finds out that Sara may be in danger - he leaps out of the chair, calls her and not getting a reply runs out of the room, ignoring Hammond and his team. He's reacting emotionally, as a husband first and foremost and not as an officer. And think about his behaviour every time Charlie was brought up. I just don't get why Young should be treated differently.

Once Young discovered they were unarmed and being marooned too refusing to talk to Varro helped, how?
                                I believe you already discussed this with morbosfist. I'm in total agreement with his POV and arguments, and therefore I don't see the point of repeating that conversation.

I like him but he's got serious issues.
                                And that's what makes him so d*** fascinating to watch! If I wasn't fangurling Greer so much Young would be my fave character
                                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                                sigpic
                                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Working...
                                X