So, is Young still "the man"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post

He foolishly attacked Dannick. If Varro hadn’t interceded he would have killed everyone on board. Dannick was volatile and brutal. Attacking him served no purpose but to severely provoke him. Young’s anger issues are out of control and his judgment is questionable.
    Actually if I was one of Young's soldiers in front of that LA firing squad I would have enjoyed Young's beatdown of Dannic. I mean we are all going to die anyways at least our commander gets a nice shot in at the enemy first. If anything it would certainly help morale, better to feel you went out fighting than if Young had just continued kneeling there quietly until we were all dead.

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
    I also thought the pouty, "I've got nothing to say to you" was incredibly juvenile. What possible purpose does giving Varro the silent treatment serve? Particularly in those circumstances?
    Well given the circumstances Young still has no reason to trust him. The first thing Young probably thought when the gate came back on was that the LA changed their minds and were coming back to kill them. When Varro shows up with 5 of so other LAs Young has no way to know whether they are honest or not. Not to mention Young had other things to deal with at the time rather than figure out what to do with Varro and his people.
    sigpic
    Doci of the BAG

Comment

He is, a bit broken maybe but at the end of the season he'll regain his former power. I think young had no choice but to leave the destiny it was maybe his fault but he tried everything and he failed. Rush will not be the leader because the civilians do not trust him because of his sacrifices for the greater good. You only have to see hoe Brody and the other guys looked at him when he was deciding to sacrifice Scott and Greer for the "greater good". So when it comes down to the end young stays to be the man. I like him more than ever
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
        Lahela,

I don't recall. Did I jump on Chloe's mom for hitting the sauce?
        No, no, no! I didn't mean to imply that you had - I was just using your comment about Young as a comparison of attitudes. Apologies if I didn't make that clear.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
          He is, a bit broken maybe but at the end of the season he'll regain his former power. I think young had no choice but to leave the destiny it was maybe his fault but he tried everything and he failed. Rush will not be the leader because the civilians do not trust him because of his sacrifices for the greater good. You only have to see hoe Brody and the other guys looked at him when he was deciding to sacrifice Scott and Greer for the "greater good". So when it comes down to the end young stays to be the man. I like him more than ever
          Actually, that was Scott's call from the outset.
          sigpic

Comment

GG,

Well given the circumstances Young still has no reason to trust him. The first thing Young probably thought when the gate came back on was that the LA changed their minds and were coming back to kill them. When Varro shows up with 5 of so other LAs Young has no way to know whether they are honest or not. Not to mention Young had other things to deal with at the time rather than figure out what to do with Varro and his people.
            It's not an issue of "trust". It's an issue of not sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "Laalalalalalalal I can't hear you" when someone is trying to talk to you. Varro was simply trying to tell him what happened not asking Young for anything that required trust.
            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

It's not sticking his finger in his ears, Young just doesn't care. Not his problem. Varro gave him the run-down, Young took it in and went on with what he was doing. It was Varro who pushed the issue, no doubt feeling that he deserved at least a little recognition for having stood up for the crew. Not saying he doesn't, and Young could have been a little more grateful, but it's not as bad as it's being made out to be.

Comment

morbo,

No, Young was ignoring him and when Varro pushed the issue he told Varro he planned to continue to ignore him. He was fairly petulent.
                All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

He waited for Varro to explain before moving on with what he was doing. Varro's statement changes nothing, and frankly what reason does he have to be sympathetic? He didn't acknowledge him and could have at least made a passing comment about it, but he has every right to be petulant in this situation. This is the Lucian Alliance's fault, and Varro's just as guilty for the situation as anyone else is. Sure, Varro helped more than most, but can you honestly say you'd be chummy in the same situation?

Comment

morbo,

What good does being petulent do? I'm not saying I'd be "chummy". However, I'd at least listen to the man to assess whether he and his followers might have something to contribute to the group. Young didn't even check.

Comment

About as much good as arguing over credit in the middle of a hellish thunderstorm does. They at least start talking once they get to the cave, and Young still has every right to be angry given the circumstances. Varro likewise realized that trying to argue the issue was pointless, and simply noted it was this or execution.

Comment

Morbo,

My point is that Young's anger, while justified, is a wasted emotion in those circumstances. It's an example of him letting his emotions get the better of him. An example if why he's having the difficulties he's having.

Comment

The throat jab on Dannic is really a better example of that, because it's an outright risk to the safety of his people, but fair enough on that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                            I think Young is no longer fit for command. He made a grave tactical error by not immediately venting the gateroom and allowed the LA to take the ship. If it hadn’t been for Rush’s bold plan everyone would have died.

He foolishly attacked Dannick. If Varro hadn’t interceded he would have killed everyone on board. Dannick was volatile and brutal. Attacking him served no purpose but to severely provoke him. Young’s anger issues are out of control and his judgment is questionable.

Young is psychologically wounded with PSSD. He is a very honorable man but unfortunately, no longer possesses the psychological stability to continue in command.

He needs to be immediately replaced but only under the auspices of Earth’s command. I doubt he will be though because it makes for too good of drama to watch him progressively deteriorate.
                            What I dont get is why they didnt just dial down the atmosphere levels in the gateroom until the incoming LA passed out? Saves killing them and incapacitates them before a shot is fired. Not dramatic enough I guess

Anyways regarding Earth Command, what Varo says "Let them report back, they cant do anything about it." Earth Command's wishes only come into the equation if the person in charge of Destiny is willing to play by the rules imposed from Earth...
                            Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

No question that Young will remain in command. Telford will eventually be second in command (LA probably thinks he is still one of them) and Rush has one primary goal and that is Destiny. Rush doesn't have or want all the other resposibilities of the day to day stuff with the crew. But Rush also thinks Young is burned out and will not trust Young with control of the ship once he finds the bridge of Destiny. Varro and Ginn we be part of the crew but not sure how Varro will fit in. Ginn is a scientist and will be an intregal part of the Rush, Brody, Volker, Parker and Eli team.

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                                And did we all notice that "It's a death sentence" line? Even Young admits that stranding someone on a desolate planet is tantamount to murder.
                                Ah, poetic justice, him getting stranded on a desolate planet, no? Even if he wasn't there long. And then it was Rush who "saved the day" so he could get back. I would be feeling more than a bit bitter about the whole thing, if I was Young. Which, thankfully, I'm not, his life sort of sucks right now.

But I predict better days for Young! Maybe some bad days first, followed by smacking Rush around a bit again, but then, definitely, better days!
                                sigpic
                                Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Working...
                                X