Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA has on the whole good production, a cast of decent to very good actors, a fair mix of characters with which to build story lines... however, this episode demonstrates once again that SGA suffers from targeting mixed audiences and thus is unlikely to please enough people.

As has been so common throughout SGA, too much interpersonal dialogue and stories are projections of what is thought the young target audience expects and thus the adult characters too often come up a bit shallow.

Anyway, onto some specific thoughts of this episode:

"The tidal forces are ripping this planet apart" - well, if a black hole is so close to the planet that the differences in gravity from one side of the planet to the opposite are causing destruction of the crust/mantle of the planet, why is the planet still in orbit around its sun? It should have been flung into a weird path by now, something they could have easily detected while on board Destiny.

Regarding the last scene (in which, btw, it seemed appropriate that Wray would live the longest) - to think the third generation would have built that quaint little town that looks like a cross between a 20th century Swiss villa and an 18th century English estate is, well, silly. Pane glass windows, white paint - seriously? After 50 years of manual labor by around 100 or 200 people? So disconnected from reality.

Like SG-1's last episode, the time-traveled crew's survival story allows the characters' interactions to play out as one possibility. Some touching moments, and this episode probably could have served as the ending of the whole series. In some ways if the next 3 episodes never air I think s2e18 could serve as a capstone episode.

Unfortunately over the next 3 episodes I expect the stories to open up lots of unresolved issues and loose ends which, because of the cancellation, will never be solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      what about the crash of the shuttle in aftermath?
      we hardly saw it.
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

O.o

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
          When Chloe said something to Young about this being their home I thought this would make a pretty good ending for the series if it had been written as one. Having them found a civilization on the other side of the galaxy was a brilliant storyline reminiscent of the Ancients starting new life in new galaxies.
          Yeah it had the making of a good ending episode, perhaps we'll look back on sgu when it's all over and think of this episode as being more of a finale than the actual last episode?

Originally posted by Jump237 View Post
          I laughed. I cried like a biatch when Young had to feed TJ (been there, done that).
          I knew I'd tear up as soon as I saw where they were going with it, and yeah, I cried like a baby at it. It was well done, really well done, imo.

could have done with a couple less flashbacks maybe, but overall, I really enjoyed that episode.

Comment

I think this would have made a better series finale than gauntlet.
            sigpic

Comment

i think this episode was properly titled correctly cause an epilogue is defined as "a piece of writing at the end of a work of literature or drama, usually used to bring closure to the work. The writer or the person can deliver a speech, speaking directly to the reader, when bringing the piece to a close, or the narration may continue normally to a closing scene." and this is what we saw. we saw the destiny expedition settling down and starting a new life for themselves, creating a new civilization and we got to see the whole speech thing at the end with camile wray at the dedication of the Eli Wallace Elementary School.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                i think this episode was probably titled correctly.
                maybe we should all stop watching a ending we're happy with

Comment

I wrote my summary comments posted above while watching the episode. Now that I've read the comments here I see that many of us had similar thoughts - about how this episode really could serve as the finale.

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
                    I wrote my summary comments posted above while watching the episode. Now that I've read the comments here I see that many of us had similar thoughts - about how this episode really could serve as the finale.
                    i remember when SG-1 in season 8 they did the reckoning and threads story arc that could've served as a 3-part series finale cause i thought that was a perfect ending for them considering that they defeated the goa'uld and the replicators and the jaffa were finally free and the epilogue for that story would've been when jack, sam, daniel and teal'c decide to go fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                      I think this would have made a better series finale than gauntlet.
                      How can you tell?

Comment

Two little things that kind of bugged me:

There were repeated earthquakes on the planet while the 'away team' (including Park) were down there....and they never addressed that this is one of Park's big phobias (as we learned back in Darkness). That was a pretty big missed opportunity IMO.

The other thing was that TJ, who is a medic and not a doctor, was able to identify ALS just by a couple of symptoms? Um....how? Combat medics aren't exactly trained in genetic disorders/diseases, are they? I suspect this was to do with the TJ background subplot that got cut out of the previous episode, but without that background it seems a bit....unlikely here.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The bit at the start when the old leader guy says he ran around those corridors as a kid... how could that be when the previous episode he said that they (the settlers) had been cut off from the main planet for generations?

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
                            Regarding the last scene (in which, btw, it seemed appropriate that Wray would live the longest) - to think the third generation would have built that quaint little town that looks like a cross between a 20th century Swiss villa and an 18th century English estate is, well, silly. Pane glass windows, white paint - seriously? After 50 years of manual labor by around 100 or 200 people? So disconnected from reality.
                            But remember, these people had a head start. They didn't have to learn everything we did the hard way. They had advanced knowledge from the get go. I think it's entirely possible to have advanced so far in such short time.
                            Originally posted by Icarus View Post
                            The bit at the start when the old leader guy says he ran around those corridors as a kid... how could that be when the previous episode he said that they (the settlers) had been cut off from the main planet for generations?
                            I believe it was 30 years. Not generations.
                            sigpic
                            ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

30 years

Comment

Because they didn't say that, they said they'd been cut off for 30 years.
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X