X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
    Looks like it'll be a k'woosh for two!
    Make that 3.

Chloe is true to her mean-spirited self in taunting Eli. 'Hey look, 10 years after everyone else gets together and there are no more choices, the last eligible heterosexual women around decided to give you a shot. And you both almost look happy about it. Maybe you should pursue that.'

Comment

Amazing episode if you suspend belief of the Grandfather Paradox.

I'm not dissing it, because I'm one of these that'll do that, but the descendents should not exist, ok let me explain: Destiny tried dialling the gate in a star, 99% of the crew got sent back in time, one went to Earth, the rest went to Novus via that other planet, Rush stayed on Destiny and waited for Destiny to re-enter the star system, he then stops the crew from dialling the gate, which means they never go back in time, so the descendents were never born.

Even so, I loved it and it will probably end up serving as a great series finale, I suspect I know where they are going to end up in the closing scene of Gauntlet:

Spoiler:
      Wild rampant speculation:
      Spoiler:
      They all end up going into the stasis pods

which could either serve as a speculative series finale or easily be undone in the Season 3 opener had there ever been one.

Comment

The Grandfather paradox assumes a single timeline, rather than divergent ones. In Stargate, time simply forks when people mess with it. That's why the cure for the water plague in "Time" was possible, and why this alternate crew can exist here.

Comment

I see what you mean but diverts still have a pivotal event that causes them, in Twin Destinies (I apologise for my spelling if it's off, it's late), that event was prevented from happening, so they never actually went back in time - depending on how you follow that story - either that or they did go back in time and the crew we present see on Destiny is the AltCrew and our real, original crew we've followed from Episode 1 were the settlers on the planet, and this episode itself is the ending of their story.

Either way, it's still good

Edit: so basically what you're saying is there are alternative timelines, running parallel to the original timeline, which can also interact with each other? a bit of a stretch (but then isn't the whole Destiny story that LOL), but I can live with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
            I see what you mean but diverts still have a pivotal event that causes them, in Twin Destinies (I apologise for my spelling if it's off, it's late), that event was prevented from happening, so they never actually went back in time - depending on how you follow that story - either that or they did go back in time and the crew we present see on Destiny is the AltCrew and our real, original crew we've followed from Episode 1 were the settlers on the planet, and this episode itself is the ending of their story.

Either way, it's still good

Edit: so basically what you're saying is there are alternative timelines, running parallel to the original timeline, which can also interact with each other? a bit of a stretch (but then isn't the whole Destiny story that LOL), but I can live with that.
            Yes, you basically have it. The event that created Novus did happen, just not in this timeline. It came from a different timeline, and the result ended up in this new one.

Comment

Originally posted by derrickh View Post
              Make that 3.

Chloe is true to her mean-spirited self in taunting Eli. 'Hey look, 10 years after everyone else gets together and there are no more choices, the last eligible heterosexual women around decided to give you a shot. And you both almost look happy about it. Maybe you should pursue that.'
              Taunting? Are you out of your mind? I don't see the mocking. It was just seeing how the current Eli feels abou Cpl. Barnes
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
                I'm in the absolute minority on this one. I really thought it was a waste of time and simply catered to the shippers. The two parter played out as a fan fiction story, complete with reset at the end so not to mess with canon. The time traveling characters were not ours, they were copies and thus anything that happened to them had no effect on our crew.
                Funny I thought at the end that the ep had been written by a fan with everything they wanted to see happen shown on screen (i.e Babies, marriages, future of characters etc).

I enjoyed the ep though. But it would have been confusing as hell for a casual fan tuning in after missing a few weeks of episodes.
                sigpic

Comment

In the stargate mythology, crossing of parallel universes is common and only a dilema if two of the same person exist at the same time for a duration. i.e. dual McKays. dual Carters. 50+ SG1 teams, bizarro world, and others. The current rendition of Dr. Who keeps with this canon as well. It may not be the accepted fiction up until stargate. But it's nothing out of the norm IMO.

But I still think that it's mostly a reset as well. Had failing life support, found descendants, now have good life support and should be rid of the descendants soon. Business as usual. Even more data that no one will probably look at, other than TJ or Rush.

I'm just surprised that they didn't go running around looking for fancy weapons or ammo, versus dirt (err... special compound). It's all about the data (that no one is actually going to study). Except for the home movies of lives that never were. I mean that's what I do, travel halfway across my universe to visit relatives, just to sit there and watch TV. Isn't it?

Comment

I thought this episode was a great continuation of last weeks episode. It was great to see how the alternate Destiny crew survived and flourished. I really am very sad that we only have two episodes left in this very good show.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      I thought this episode was a great continuation of last weeks episode. It was great to see how the alternate Destiny crew survived and flourished. I really am very sad that we only have two episodes left in this very good show.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                        This was a fun episode. They mess with your head, dangle hope then yank it away, act like they're going to kill a guy... Good times all around.
                        With the chatter last week about Varro dying, i felt he was a gonner!.
                        As to TJ, i loved the drama. More so than with most every other "near death" issue..

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                        It's episodes like this one that make you go "why?"

Why is the ride over? This is so good!

That being said, I think this episode should have been the end of the Franchise. Not only does it have this feeling of completness, but it leaves you knowing that we survived. Against all odds, we survived. And we kept alive not only ourselves, but the hope that one day we may return home to Milky way--to re-establish ourselves.

I really like this episode!
                        And it once again, shows that the Human Spirit is the strongest of our traits..

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                        Styrofoam air filters?
                        Something Similar to foam is used in some air filters here on earth..

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                        yeah, I really hope the drones didn't get them and if they haven't that they don't
                        Being the Drones seemed to not have gotten this far until they started chasing us, i doubt seriously they chased the evacuees.. And if they had found this area sooner, why was there no mass destruction?

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                        I think the Writers did this episode as a sort of throwback to SG-1's Unending. The characters were able to continue going forward without having the influence of knowing what became of them. But this time, they know what happened.
                        It did have that feel, hoplessness being turned around.. But i loved how this may actually change how we do things (in the 2 remaining eps).

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                        When Chloe said something to Young about this being their home I thought this would make a pretty good ending for the series if it had been written as one. Having them found a civilization on the other side of the galaxy was a brilliant storyline reminiscent of the Ancients starting new life in new galaxies.
                        To me, that is exactly WHY they did this.. Showed once and for all we ARE the ancients decendants. Not just in tech, or genes.. BUT in outlook.

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
                        Great episode. They could have ended the series on this if they had to and I would call it the best ending of the three shows because it embodied whats beautiful about this show.
                        If the whole ALS thing had not been brought up for TJ, i agree. It would have made for an Awesome ending... Especially how the ep finished with Wrays speech.

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
                        "The tidal forces are ripping this planet apart" - well, if a black hole is so close to the planet that the differences in gravity from one side of the planet to the opposite are causing destruction of the crust/mantle of the planet, why is the planet still in orbit around its sun? It should have been flung into a weird path by now, something they could have easily detected while on board Destiny.
                        Plus how do we know those tidal/gravitational forces didn't doom the ships that left.
                        Also wouldn't they have had an affect on destinies ability to go into FTL?

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                        I think this would have made a better series finale than gauntlet.
                        Until i see Gauntlet, i will hold judgement.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        The other thing was that TJ, who is a medic and not a doctor, was able to identify ALS just by a couple of symptoms? Um....how? Combat medics aren't exactly trained in genetic disorders/diseases, are they? I suspect this was to do with the TJ background subplot that got cut out of the previous episode, but without that background it seems a bit....unlikely here.
                        Maybe cause it IS genetic, she remembered seeing those symptoms in someone else in her family.. such as her mother, sister, grandmother etc..

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
                        The ending brought tears to my eyes.
                        The ending to me was close to the tear jerker that Heroes, Meridian and Daniel's funeral in "Fire and water" were..

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                        Does anyone else kind of want to colonise another planet now?
                        YES!!!

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
                        I really did not like what Volker said to Rush at the end. Rush has seemed to be trying to help and getting better lately, then he goes and says something like thatd , but maybe it is just because im such a Rush fan but I just found it unnecessary..
                        I agree it was unnecessary. BUT i do feel that rush was more concerened with everyone on the ship (getting the air scrubbers working properly), should have tempered Volkar's snip at him (for not reporting in)...

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                        Volker being the first one to die on the planet was sad and seeing the funeral. Loved seeing Young determination and drive to build a new home and despite all he as built and achieve he still went to his grave blaming himself for not getting them home.
                        \

That was actually surprising to me, seeing young, after all they had acomplished, still thinking of returning the crew home to Earth..

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                        An I also like how Rush sole focus was on keeping the crew alive and breathing. It the one thing he has in common with Young, single minded focus on keeping the crew and the ship alive and intact above all else.
                        It kinda Irks me no one on the ship complimented him for it.

Another nice touch was having Wray being the one who lived the longest and basically had the final say, the combination eulogy/lesson of the whole story. She was the outsider in many ways and sometimes it takes a person on the outside to see the big picture.
                        it was not just interesting, but poetic to me that it was HER who made up their constitution..

I liked that part. It's as if Volker, now knowing how short life truly is, loses some of his fear and inhibition and tells Rush the truth.
                        I wonder if when he finds out what rush DID for them (the air filters), whether he will feel some guilt at his snap, and apologize.

Cont next post

Comment

Originally posted by DarkandBright View Post
                          I wonder nobody discussed yet what Rush found in the archives at the very end, something of 'outstanding importance'. Another secret that he can carry along for some days. Perhaps he found something about the drones? In the preview teaser
                          Spoiler:
                          he seemed quite relaxed about the drone attack.
                          I'll have to rewatch it, bt i don't remember seeing him looking through the archives..

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                          Silly enough, I was more interested in seeing what they found as far as supplies and stuff. With the new air scrubber stuff, they can expanded the living areas of Destiny and thus crew, which means they can accommodate the Novus settlers. Interesting way to expand the crew complement of Destiny.
                          That is a good possibility. Especially if we track down their ships that left.

I get the feeling that every pairing in that past setting won't come to be. It's like those alternate realities where you can kill off all your characters; a chance to do something that won't be done in the main timeline. Obviously, we won't see what happens to our characters in that respect, but then again, I'm not a real big fan of shipping or watching a ton of romantic entanglements in my sci fi.
                          I am actually hoping some of them DO come to be. Such as James and Varro. Eli and Barnes..

Originally posted by RedXian View Post
                          I was sad about Volker's fate. More so that TJ's. She has 5 years until she starts showing symtoms, Volker may have month if not weeks before he dies. Volker's plight is more dire.
                          He already had his transplant. So he is in the clear for now..

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                          My understanding (and yes, I could be wrong) is that Wray's character is in her late 30's. Although Ming-Na is 48 this year, she easily pulls off portraying someone 10 years younger. Hell, I'm 10 years younger than her and I look older!

Anyway, I found it kind of sad that she didn't end up having any children, but found it quite compelling that her legacy lived on regardless. She was a powerful woman until the end.
                          I too thought it strange she didn't have any kids.. BUT heart warming she was the last survivor and maker of their laws (constitution)..

Originally posted by SerpentGuard View Post
                          I think if they were able to construct huge spacecraft capable of just lifting off the surface much like the 304s can then you'd think they'd have hyperdrives and other cool technology figured out.
                          Perhaps the Novans figured out a way to make better thrusters (for liftoff), but had no capacity to come up with FTL/Hyperdrives. remember all the times we have had to do something with ours, we got someone else to work it (perry).

Yeah, if they have that level of tech, FTL travel shouldn't be that big of an issue. There has to be at least some knowledge handed down on hyperdrives, unless Rush is the only one who really knows anything about them. At the least, they should know FTL travel is possible.
                          See above post. if others knew more on FTL tech, why was Perry needed?

Originally posted by Sairnath View Post
                          I so would have been raiding the nearest Department Store for several changes of clothes, razor blades and books.
                          I wouldn't be surprised if they did!..

Originally posted by derrickh View Post
                          Make that 3.

We didn;t see all the females hook up... only the core ones.
                          BUT i do agree, it did seem like his hook up with barnes was 'all that was left'..

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                            How exactly was it reset? They still have hundreds of extra people, still have to find them a new home, and still have drones chasing them. The only thing solved was life support, and that simply had to happen.
                            Who is to say they can't just start the next episode with all of the Novus people already dropped off?
                            Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
                              Here's one to break the brain.

I think the most confusing thing about Hope is when the time travelled occured.

There is actually 2 Time Travel events in Hope. First the entire Destiny to go back 12 hours and the second the crew to go back 2000 years.

When they travelled back in time 12 hours there were two Destiny's in existence. Then the crew of Future Destiny when through the gate to travel back 2000 years.

The alternative timeslines don't interact with each other per se. But each time travel event into the past creates an duplicate timeline. The new time line deviates from the first one just from the existence of the time traveller.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                He already had his transplant. So he is in the clear for now..
                                I should have realised this. I had forgotten that Volker had a transplant AFTER Hope.

I just wish Volker or someone said "Lucky you had that transplant" or at least something reassuring when he was looking at the logs/footage. Something to remind us that Novus Volker hadn't had a transplant. When I saw it I thought that Volker was going to have complication the transplant he had recently.
                                Last edited by RedXian; 26 April 2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X