Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow...SGU has really been impressing me with the past few episodes. I can honestly say that I'm going to be sad to see this show leave us. I really liked the insight into the characters. I really felt bad for TJ...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkandBright View Post
      I wonder nobody discussed yet what Rush found in the archives at the very end, something of 'outstanding importance'. Another secret that he can carry along for some days. Perhaps he found something about the drones? In the preview teaser
      Spoiler:
      he seemed quite relaxed about the drone attack.
      I thought that was the thing about using the styrofoam in the air scrubbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
        I thought that was the thing about using the styrofoam in the air scrubbers.
        I did too...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
          angry much? We've been waiting a long time for this level of writing and drama.
          Goosfraba. You mean I just should have said OMG a 10, never been a better episode eva? For what its worth the last 2 episodes have been my favorite of this series.
          Multiple partners are not necessary if you avoid direct relations (2nd cousins or closer). If the first batch of kids have a lot of girls, they'll still be plenty of fellas around from the first batch.
          First batch? Original 80 you mean? As in Brody tries to have relations with one of Greer's kids when she is no longer jail bait? That is probably more controversial than Wray I think.
          If they keep track of that sort of thing they can avoid marriages between people with any level of relation for at least 3 or 4 generations.
          That was my point. It didn't appear they were keeping track/planning anything. They were just pairing off predictably/randomly. Volker died, some didn't contribute etc...
          In truth Wray is like 45 so she'd only have 1 and she may not be able to carry one anyway (after 10 months of malnutrition and being that close to a "change of life").
          Hmmmm, I didn't put her at that old, but if that is so, good point.

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
            It sounded like what they found was some sort of sediment from effluent (from a hot spring?) with iron compounds.
            I heard 'ferric hydroxide', but I couldn't make out the other thing. Anyone catch that?

Comment

I loved this episode. It felt like I had been through a "journey" watching it and I was quite sad at the end. What a shame we will never see what could have come of SGU.
              SGU fangirl

Comment

Interesting episode, and I can see why a lot of people would like it, and why it would be suitable enough for a series finale (well, a finale when the series has been canceled). I wasn't as interested in seeing the planet develop with all the flashback scenes, so it didn't do anything for me. Not my type of episode, but it had no real issues, so it was decent.

Silly enough, I was more interested in seeing what they found as far as supplies and stuff. With the new air scrubber stuff, they can expanded the living areas of Destiny and thus crew, which means they can accommodate the Novus settlers. Interesting way to expand the crew complement of Destiny.

Not much to really comment on character-wise, since it all happened in an alternate setting. I will say this much: I get the feeling that every pairing in that past setting won't come to be. It's like those alternate realities where you can kill off all your characters; a chance to do something that won't be done in the main timeline. Obviously, we won't see what happens to our characters in that respect, but then again, I'm not a real big fan of shipping or watching a ton of romantic entanglements in my sci fi.

I will say I was a bit amused at Park's open fear at the Earthquakes, although I kinda expected her to want to go back to the ship.

I could say I kinda agree with another poster about the chance of probability they hit where they arrive on the planet within a few hours of the city being torn apart. The chance that they would arrive in that narrow window is a bit convenient, but it was for story purposes, and it is possible. The greater chance would have been to arrive long enough before that they had plenty of time, or long enough after that nothing was there (in which case, no story).

At any rate, the last two episodes seem to be something more up my alley, so I'm looking forward to them. I really get the feeling that in the season finale, they feel they are going to have to coast a long time to a star, and thus will end up freezing themselves in the pods.

Comment

Awesome Awesome episode.

Had me sitting on the edge of my seat in parts. I really thougth they killed off Varro until Young went back to save him.

I was sad about Volker's fate. More so that TJ's. She has 5 years until she starts showing symtoms, Volker may have month if not weeks before he dies. Volker's plight is more dire.

Once last thing. I find it interesting that Novis was founded without a major religious influence. The most religious left Destiny to live on the Faith planet.

Comment

I really liked this episode overall.

The entire episode reminded me of 'Before I Sleep' from Atlantis Season 1, which isn't really surprising considering they were both written by Carl Binder.

- I liked the flashbacks as the present day cast sifted through the archives.

- I thought the TJ having ALS was a bit pointless tbh, and took up to much time that could have been spent doing other things.

- Convenient that they arrive just before it's going to be destroyed, convenient plot points strike again.

- Not allot of Rush this episode, they kind of put him to one side which i thought was a shame.

- The speach that Camile gave at the end of the episode about the 'journey' was very similar to the one Harry Kim gives in the final episode of Voyager, right before they try to get home.

- I liked the montage at the end of the city changing over time, i love a good montage.
                    Last edited by Demoniser; 26 April 2011, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                      ... In truth Wray is like 45 so she'd only have 1 and she may not be able to carry one anyway (after 10 months of malnutrition and being that close to a "change of life").
                      My understanding (and yes, I could be wrong) is that Wray's character is in her late 30's. Although Ming-Na is 48 this year, she easily pulls off portraying someone 10 years younger. Hell, I'm 10 years younger than her and I look older!

Anyway, I found it kind of sad that she didn't end up having any children, but found it quite compelling that her legacy lived on regardless. She was a powerful woman until the end.

Comment

I was sad about Volker's fate. More so that TJ's. She has 5 years until she starts showing symtoms, Volker may have month if not weeks before he dies. Volker's plight is more dire.
                        That Volker kidney disease that killed him. They have now given him a new kidney from Geer. Which happens in a previous episode.
                        Last edited by knowles2; 26 April 2011, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          The other thing was that TJ, who is a medic and not a doctor, was able to identify ALS just by a couple of symptoms? Um....how? Combat medics aren't exactly trained in genetic disorders/diseases, are they? I suspect this was to do with the TJ background subplot that got cut out of the previous episode, but without that background it seems a bit....unlikely here.
                          It wasn't a definite just a guess based on the symptoms. No one can properly identify Lou Gerwig's disease without advanced medical equipment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                          makes ya wonder what kinda civilization we had if we didn't suffer the dark ages.
                          Unchanged. Only Europe suffered the Middle Ages
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by The_Asgard_live View Post
                            I heard 'ferric hydroxide', but I couldn't make out the other thing. Anyone catch that?
                            That is Iron (iii).
                            and he said something about
                            birnide deposits.

Which is use in organic chemistry.
                            Last edited by knowles2; 26 April 2011, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                              Does anyone else kind of want to colonise another planet now?
                              I do just stay off my lawn
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                It wasn't a definite just a guess based on the symptoms. No one can properly identify Lou Gerwig's disease without advanced medical equipment

Unchanged. Only Europe suffered the Middle Ages
                                But it seems it was only the European that tended to have the drive to continually to expand and gain knowledge and technology and put them into practice. But such as the Plague, the church and probably other stuff held us back.

To me it seem India and China, and middle East cultures had individuals or small groups which made break through but those were never taught outside of those small groups and never applied to everyday living. It does seem like it was European culture which, once the Brits decide the Pope was not worth having around as leader deciding who can and cant get divorce, that made the push to use that knowledge in society and everyday and to continually expand it.

Or may be that just my west centred mind set.

Comment

Working...
                                X