Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I originally went with an 8 but i'd have to see it again to make a more conclusive decision on how i feel. I mean i loved all the basic aspects of the story line and the concept of coming across a civilization founded by "us" nearly 2,000 years ago is rather interesting.

My main gripes were, as with "Twin Destinies", the science. I know we've seen time travel before and wormholes jumping from 1 gate to another but have we seen both? Also, when a wormhole jumps isn't it usually to a gate in close proximity = if we had connected to Earth wouldn't our people at least make it to our own galaxy. I mean i know these are rather nit-picky as our faithful show runners are always tweaking previously established facts w/o offering up to much of an explanation.

Another thing - if the Drone's can track us by use of the Stargate why have they only caught up to us now and how is it they were waiting for us when we dropped out of FTL?

I also felt the pacing of the episode was a bit too brisk/rushed but nothing that can really be done about that i suppose.

Overall a very strong episode to be certain and maybe with some repeat viewings i'll find the 10 that most people have awarded it but right now it falls just a bit short for me...

Comment

I try to be reserved and not hand out 10's, but just this once I'll go for a 10. This one will go into my personal SG history as an all-time favourite. Great pacing too. 1 minute after the recap and we have a space battle, then we have all the amazing stuff with the Novus people ( I am a sucker for such stuff, founding civilisations, history etc. the kino "flashbacks" were incredible. ) and then we go to a space battle & planet attack and finish off with Novus in a volcanic winter, which gave me the chills. The entire ep captivated me and drew me in. I can't wait for "Epilogue", I have not the faintest idea what will happen next ep, which is great.

What annoys me in the voting is that people who give 10's at least post or give a small explanation whereas the 1's vote and don't bother to say anything, offer an explanation. In my view an ep has to be absolutely amazing for a 10, of a truly higher calibe than the average and I feel this episode was just that. For a 1 it would have to be so abismally bad that it would be cause to trash the television and cancel your SciFi channel. Episodes that are just "bad" are around the 4 or 5 and "pretty good" roughly 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Spidey3121 View Post
        My main gripes were, as with "Twin Destinies", the science. I know we've seen time travel before and wormholes jumping from 1 gate to another but have we seen both? Also, when a wormhole jumps isn't it usually to a gate in close proximity = if we had connected to Earth wouldn't our people at least make it to our own galaxy. I mean i know these are rather nit-picky as our faithful show runners are always tweaking previously established facts w/o offering up to much of an explanation.
        Ah but you seem to be forgetting such times such as the SG1 episode "1969".

In that instance the wormhole looped back on itself (They left from Earth and ended up on Earth in a different time period). So I would assume that in this instance the wormhole looped back on itself but since the Destiny wasn't in the same position 2000 years ago the wormhole jumped to a close Stargate in the proximity (Think Rush said something similar).

Comment

Indeed, they said something to that effect in the episode:

"wormhole travels back in time and loops back to itself, but destiny wasn't around back then so it jumped to a gate in proximity"

Comment

I thought it was a good episode, I'll give it an 8 out of 10. There was an interesting story there, and just the idea of our alternative Destiny crew managing to start not just a settlement, but one that grew, over 2000 years, to a civilization, was mind-boggling in a good science fiction way.

I did spend a good chunk of time thinking about the relative genetic bottleneck the civilization went through, starting from only 70-80 people, but humans have gone through more severe bottlenecks than that and managed to have healthy populations. Also, the Destiny crew is made up of (as far as I can tell) only unrelated people, so they start with a nice bit of genetic diversity.

Never let a population geneticist watch science fiction with you - we get a bit dull.
            sigpic
            Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

It's a 10 for sure! WOW! is what I kept saying after it was over. I was on the edge of my seat the entire episode. Rob Cooper did a brilliant job with this one. Can't wait to see Epilogue.

Comment

Another 1. I'm not being a fanboy here going "0mgz YouR a Hat0r!!!", because if the people who voted 1's left a response I wouldn't mind. Just pressing 1 and not responding however does give a "I wanna rate 1, just because I hate it" vibe.

Comment

I would actually love to have someone explain why this episode, in particular, deserves a lowest rating. Assuming that the voter also gives other ratings (2, 3, 4, etc.) to other episodes, why a 1 for this particular episode? Was it the whole time-travel aspect? Did some of the science not ring true?
                  sigpic
                  Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

I really liked this ep and gave it an 8.

Would have been a 9 but the distinct lack of blondes amongst the new group knocked it down a mark, and since I prefer blondes over brunettes.....
                    sigpic

Comment

I would definitely give this episode a 10. It was simply amazing, and I cannot wait to see what happens next.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

10!!!

One of my favorite episodes, makes me even more mad they are cancelling it.

Comment

I sat in the Vancouver convention hall watching Brad Wright saying that this was it with SGU and the franchise for the forseeable future. Then I watch this episode and it just made me sad over again. All I can think of is what we could have had after seeing this episode. The idea of a civilisation of Destiny's descendants being out there is fantastic and makes me wonder how many more times they ended up with time travelling slingshots around the sun and for all we know the Ancients were them!

This is what I'll miss with Stargate, getting the brain cell all tangled up thinking about possibilities, this is why I'm sad SGU has ended.

This had all the elements that makes Stargate for me, I loved watching Destiny gracefully turning in space to avoid the drones and fighting back. Time travel element, seeing in a snapshot how the crew of the Destiny fared and the civilisation they created. And yes, the Stargate village made an appearance!!! Although this time it wasn't a set, it's actually Fort Langley, a recreation of the first trading settlement in BC, so I thought that was an apt choice for the location of the new colony for the Destiny's settlers!

This episode is up there as a 9 for me this week, entertaining and thought provoking Stargate at its best!

Comment

I don't understand how pathetic people are to come on and vote 1 every week.

In any case, I went with a 9. Great episode, if next week is great this might get bumped to a 10 in my book. Depends how they finish it.

Comment

i'm going with a 9.

i still need a 10 for Gauntlet

Comment

10/10. Great episode. I can't wait for the next!!

Comment

Working...
                                X