This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AscendedThor View Post
    How can Chloe donate blood to Scott ??!?!?!
    Matching a donor's blood type and a patient's blood is critical in transfusions.
    If someone with type A blood receives type B, he may have a severe hemolytic reaction.
    This can destroy many of his red cells and quickly kill him.
    While blood-typing and cross matching are now routine, errors do occur. Every year people die of hemolytic reactions
    See the answer in this thread: http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...0#post12018460
    Spoiler:
    coincidentally that thread was started by someone with the same name as AscendedThor! I smell a conspiracy...

[edit]
    JustAnotherVoice, I don't think it's a helpful practice to label episodes as 'filler' as if to write them off. Actually I see it as a kind of insult. If an episode doesn't contribute enough to the main plot arc, it's suddenly 'filler' and therefore pointless and possibly boring. I prefer to judge episodes by whether I enjoyed watching them, before worrying about whether they can be categorised as 'filler'.
    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
    Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

How can Chloe donate blood to Scott ??
      Matching a donor's blood type and a patient's blood is critical in transfusions. If someone with type A blood receives type B, he may have a severe hemolytic reaction. This can destroy many of his red cells and quickly kill him. While blood-typing and cross matching are now routine, errors do occur. Every year people die of hemolytic reactions.

I guess they got lucky and both of them happen to have the exact same blood type (a chance of one in eight)
      so much for "trying to be realistic and avoid easy fix endings"

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedThor View Post
        How can Chloe donate blood to Scott ??
        Matching a donor's blood type and a patient's blood is critical in transfusions. If someone with type A blood receives type B, he may have a severe hemolytic reaction. This can destroy many of his red cells and quickly kill him. While blood-typing and cross matching are now routine, errors do occur. Every year people die of hemolytic reactions.

I guess they got lucky and both of them happen to have the exact same blood type (a chance of one in eight)
        so much for "trying to be realistic and avoid easy fix endings"
        *sigh* Did you really have to ask that 3 times?
        A 1 in 8 chance (and I expect they would have already known, they've been on the ship for quite a while and Chloe would have seen the info on his dogtags) is a lot more likely than some of the lucky chances that have been pulled off in the franchise before.
        Plus it's not 1 in 8.
        Here's a table of blood type distributions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_t...ion_by_country
        Working out the average probability of being compatible is something I'll leave up to people with more free time.
        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
          This! I'm a little disheartened by all the negativity because it doesn't match what I experienced at all! Pity.
          Same here, I liked it a lot, and that's weird becuse usually I don't like episodes like this with an alternate ( peaefull life ) reality, and yet I really like this one!
          Just like last week, when I liked a Clhoe&stones episode ( impossible! ).

I can understand the ep might not have been to everyone's taste, but the cold-harted "worst ep ever" negativity here I rally can't. Don't forget life, the killer of the ratings!

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
            I freaking loved this episode, top to bottom. Brad Wright did a fantastic job, and since I'm about the only one around here who doesn't have a problem with Scott or Chloe, it was great, and even beyond that, everyone else got their little moment to shine, didn't they?
            Very nice analysis.

I also thoroughly enjoyed this episode. It had my attention from the getgo and didn't let up till the end, despite the fact I knew it was unlikely the writers were going to kill Scott off since he is one of the main characters. Getting the alien "pathogen" into Scott opens up more story possibilities. It remains to be seen whether a simple blood transfusion alters Scott to the same degree as whatever the aliens did to Chloe.

Scott's hallucinations provided the opportunity for the cast to portray slightly skewed versions of their characters. Brian J. Smith got to show off a wider acting range than typically called for with Lt Scott. The other cast members did an excellent job as well.
            To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

To those who argue that saying this episode not effecting the main plot makes it poor, you are correct.

However this is a poor episode, because matt and chloe are the 2 worst characters in the entire history of stargate. Chloe especially has no more point that stupid titilation for horny teenagers.

Add to that, there is nothing wrong with a character based episode, if

1) its actually interesting, and
              2) we learn something new about the focused characters

This episode achieved neither of these points.

Personally i think American TV has always suffered with these long seasons. You always end up having terrible episodes.

The reduced episodes of shows like the wire, the sopranos, and six feet under being notable exceptions. When you reduce the episodes you can just focus on quality rather than quantity.

Look at something like the original life on mars, not the terrible US remake, and u can see how less episodes = greater quality.

This was just a terrible filler episode that added nothing in any way to stargate universe. The only people who say they like this are the ones who love stargate so much that they like every episode, no matter how bad.

But thats only my opinion.... please dont get angry with me!
              Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
              Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

I didn't really like this episode, though I was mostly in it for the side-story on the planet, so it's to be expected. To be honest Scott is probably my least favourite character on the show so this ep was really never going to be my cup of tea. Do the same thing with Rush (Human episode) and I love it.

Comment

I love you guys who say you hated the ep, and fast-forwarded through most of it. It's just so... irony isn't the word... You don't even watch the damn thing and claim it to suck. Hah.
                  sigpic

Comment

At first, the episode annoyed me. While the situation is like Tealc as a fireman, I found the little village boring and that I didn't care what the SGU character would be represented by in the village because I didn't care about the SGU characters enough. But at the end, I got caught up in the thing and how it was linked to Chloe's blue alien induced illness.

I give this episode 6.5 on 10
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

TBH I found myself going into this episode with feelings of apathy and dread that it was going to be yet more crap filler or a clone of the various other SG attempts at dream / AU episodes. Imagine my surprise when I found myself enjoying it. I especially loved the multiple layers and characterisations of Scott's halucinations which gave a good insight into his thoughts on the other Destinites and his relationship with Chloe. For a filler episode it wasnt too bad at all.
                      Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                        I love you guys who say you hated the ep, and fast-forwarded through most of it. It's just so... irony isn't the word... You don't even watch the damn thing and claim it to suck. Hah.
                        That's because this episode could've been compressed into, let's say, about 5 minutes. Such a drawn-out and bad episode.

They are stuck on a ship billions of light-years away and we have to watch Earth based dream sequence for 30 minutes? And the ending too was so predictable, it wasn't hard to figure out they would find some kind of a cure in the last 5 minutes or so.

Oh, and I didn't fast-forward this episode but I wish I did.

2/10

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                          That's because this episode could've been compressed into, let's say, about 5 minutes. Such a drawn-out and bad episode.

They are stuck on a ship billions of light-years away and we have to watch Earth based dream sequence for 30 minutes? And the ending too was so predictable, it wasn't hard to figure out they would find some kind of a cure in the last 5 minutes or so.

Oh, and I didn't fast-forward this episode but I wish I did.

2/10
                          so people want a classic stargate ep, but when they get it they whine and complain, and don't even watch half of it...you guys make me sick

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                            so people want a classic stargate ep, but when they get it they whine and complain, and don't even watch half of it...you guys make me sick
                            Who said I want ''a classic stargate ep''? And I did watch the whole damn thing, like I said.

Take some medicine and try to feel better bro.

Comment

I was not a big fan of the SG1 episode Changeling, but toward the end Cloverdale grew on me (no pun) and I think the episode was in the same range as Changeling.
                              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                                That's because this episode could've been compressed into, let's say, about 5 minutes.
                                Yeah? Maybe they skipped those not-that-bad 5 minutes?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X