No announcement yet.

Puddle Jumpers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another possibility for reconciling the ages is relativity. We know that Destiny's FTL drive doesn't seem to suffer from this when flying around a galaxy (due to the stones use), but will that be true when it gets ready to make an intergalactic hop? (presumably going much faster).
    Maybe Destiny DID leave earth 50 million years ago, but the ship only physically aged a million years or so due to this effect.
    Of course if this IS the case then when Destiny makes it's next intergalactic hop (the end of the season?) the crew are going to feel even more cut off as all of a sudden everyone they knew back on earth is either dead, or aged dramatically. Maybe the Earth won't even have survived, destroyed in some conflict?

--Rakhal

Comment

Originally posted by Rakhal View Post
      Another possibility for reconciling the ages is relativity. We know that Destiny's FTL drive doesn't seem to suffer from this when flying around a galaxy (due to the stones use), but will that be true when it gets ready to make an intergalactic hop? (presumably going much faster).
      Maybe Destiny DID leave earth 50 million years ago, but the ship only physically aged a million years or so due to this effect.
      Of course if this IS the case then when Destiny makes it's next intergalactic hop (the end of the season?) the crew are going to feel even more cut off as all of a sudden everyone they knew back on earth is either dead, or aged dramatically. Maybe the Earth won't even have survived, destroyed in some conflict?

--Rakhal
      Now that would lead to some interesting situations. The Tria crew had been on their way to Earth for ten thousand years but only a few years had passed from their point of view due to relativity. It would be fascinating to see how the Destiny crew would cope with the same thing.

I'd rather Earth was still there so we could see how things have developed in a hundred or so years' time. Will the Stargate Program have been revealed to the general public by then, for example?
      sigpic

Comment

Wow,

I totally agree with the above two posters. This Theory would be perfect and would allow for a major story development down the road. Unfortunately, if Universe ever failed and was canceled and another Stargate show eventually came forward, this would tie their hands behind their backs in many story aspects. Not saying they couldn't do it, but it would provide challenges down the road.

Whatever they do, I think its going to turn out to be really interesting. I look forward to it.

- CB
        Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
        Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

Yeah, that is a very good theory on relativity playing a role in the uncertainty surrounding the ship's age in relation to artefacts on Earth and in Pegasus.

On the puddle jumpers, I doubt we will see any craft with the capabilities of the PJ. What I do think is very likely is a hovering craft similar to the mule from Firefly. The main door leading out of the gate room seems large enough to accomodate such a craft. It could perhaps be sealed in storage somewhere close to the gate which may explain why the crew haven't found it yet

Comment

Originally posted by GateMaster C View Post
            My theory as to how the chronology can go Atlantis - Destiny - ATA Gene...

Atlantis leaves Earth for Pegasus, 'several million years ago'. It does NOT at this time have the ATA technology, and neither does the outpost chair that is left behind.

Destiny is launched a million or so years ago. (Though this I'm less happy with, considering it's supposed to have been built on and launched from Earth, which the Ancients had, presumably, abandoned when they'd left for Pegasus)

The ATA technology is developed in response to the war with the Wraith, about (I can't recall if this was ever dealt with in SGA, so I'm just guessing) 20 to 15 thousand years ago.

The Ancients lose the war with the Wraith, abandon Pegasus and return to Earth. THEN they upgrade the Earth outpost with the ATA requirement.

So, there we go. My effort to reconcile 15 years of SG lore spread over 3 series. I get the feeling there's plenty of holes that can still be poked in it, so, have at it...

I think the correct version is:-

Destiny is launched "many" millions years ago from Earth (not the thousands stated in the show as this is blatantly incorrect regarding the more primitive tech on the destiny like the FTL drive and the limited range gates etc). There is no ATA gene technology yet. It travels to and explores the Pegasus galaxy which has already been seeded with gates by a Seder ship.

Atlantis is built on Earth (possibly millions of years later) ATA gene tech is incorporated into the city along with the control chair at the outpost. The Plague breaks out and the Ancient leave in Atlantis for Pegasus, (somewhere between 5 and 10 million years ago as stated by Daniel Jackson in Rising Pt1), as it has already been seeded with gates and explored by the Destiny.

I can see peoples argument for upgrading the Antarctic outpost with ATA gene tech after the Ancients return from Pegasus, but people are forgetting that the outpost on Proclarush Taonas also had a control chair that required the ATA gene so they would have to upgraded that too, and as Taonas was abandoned millions of years ago and the planet had become uninhabitable 10.000 years ago there wouldn’t be any point, so the ATA gene tech must have been developed sometime after Destiny launched from Earth and before Atlantis left for Pegasus millions of years ago.
            "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
            "That he is concealing something."
            "Like what?"
            "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
            "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
            "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
            "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
              I think the correct version is:-

Destiny is launched "many" millions years ago from Earth (not the thousands stated in the show as this is blatantly incorrect regarding the more primitive tech on the destiny like the FTL drive and the limited range gates etc). There is no ATA gene technology yet. It travels to and explores the Pegasus galaxy which has already been seeded with gates by a Seder ship.

Atlantis is built on Earth (possibly millions of years later) ATA gene tech is incorporated into the city along with the control chair at the outpost. The Plague breaks out and the Ancient leave in Atlantis for Pegasus, (somewhere between 5 and 10 million years ago as stated by Daniel Jackson in Rising Pt1), as it has already been seeded with gates and explored by the Destiny.

I can see peoples argument for upgrading the Antarctic outpost with ATA gene tech after the Ancients return from Pegasus, but people are forgetting that the outpost on Proclarush Taonas also had a control chair that required the ATA gene so they would have to upgraded that too, and as Taonas was abandoned millions of years ago and the planet had become uninhabitable 10.000 years ago there wouldn’t be any point, so the ATA gene tech must have been developed sometime after Destiny launched from Earth and before Atlantis left for Pegasus millions of years ago.
              I completely agree with you.

I didn't add the "Taonas had a control chair requiring the ATA gene" because then people would say "But there was no proof it required the ATA gene, maybe you just had to sit in it and nobody else sat in it." I know, that's a pretty irrational arguement since the chair came on the moment O'Neill sat in the chair just like all the others do, but so far I haven't seen a single person back up their "ATA Upgrade after Ancients returned to Earth" with any facts to their theories either.

- CB
              Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
              Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

why cant everyone just accept the fact that just because it hasnt been stated on screen and has been told to us by the producers over and over again, that Destiny is OLDER than atlantis.

why would the ptb suddenly change the timeline in the show?....just to mess with us?

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
                  Yeah, that is a very good theory on relativity playing a role in the uncertainty surrounding the ship's age in relation to artefacts on Earth and in Pegasus.
                  But woudl the Destinies FTL make that 'time' go by faster, so we don't age as much??

Comment

Working...
                  X