Puddle Jumpers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
    Maybe but what about supplies? Unless they have an Asgard matter converter lying around in Destiny.
    The Ancients probably intended to bring along a lot of fresh supplies with them when they decided to board her, and periodically dial in and out...or use the stones even...when they needed more.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
      We could try riding on a bunch of kinos....
      Kinos are awesome, with a very large coat and enough kinos i could fly.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler View Post
        Actually, you are incorrect. Rush clearly said that the Destiny predates the ATA gene interface technology, and since you need the Ancient gene to fly the Puddle Jumpers, they cannot be older than the Destiny.
        The time lines in each series seem to deviate from each other, so it seems. Aiyana was 50 million years old in SG-1. In Atlantis she was the Ancient shown in the Rising, living several million years ago (implies 3-10 million years ago), Atlantis had the ATA gene and so did Poclarush Teonas, it possible that hey only had the ATA tech upgraded after Destiny departed. Now Destiny come around, less than a million years old and doesnt have ATA genes. It wasn't said that it was deliberately made so that ATA wasn't necessary it was said to predate the ATA gene. The continuity is starting to irritate me.
        Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
          It would be a little odd to have space ships inside of a space ship.....
          Isn't Atlantis a Space Ship with Space Ships inside it? hehe

That would be incorrect, Destiny is a little under a million years old, Atlantis left Earth several million years ago. In the Rising in Atlantis a Puddle jumper was shown flying around right before Atlantis left Earth. Therefore the Puddle jumper predates the Destiny. There should be no reason the Destiny wouldnt have puddle jumpers.
          Rush specifically said that the Desinty pre-dates the ATA gene. I've posted this in multiple threads, but I don't think the Destiny was after Atlantis. Rush said "Hundreds of Thousands" of years old and that could mean anything. My father might say "I've been out of High School for years" which infact means decades.

I think some people might be taking what Rush said a little too literally. Everything we have seen indicates the Destiny is much older then Atlantis.

We know for a fact the ATA gene was in place prior to Atlantis leaving earth, because the Earth control chair required the gene to operate. Rush clearly said that the Destiny predated that gene technology. You could say that "The Writers messed up" but somehow I doubt that is the case. Probably, Rush said "Hundreds of Thousands" which could mean millions. Last time I checked 'Hundreds of Thousands' are still a measurement 'inside' of millions. hehe.

Also, since when does anyone say exactly what they mean and everyone understands them perfectly. When was the last time you heard someone speak exactly what they meant all the time. Plus, Rush JUST got to Destiny at the time. He might not have yet known exactly how old it was.

Anyway, anything is possible. The writers COULD have made a mistake, but in the premier, which every writer probably looked over that script, you think 10+ different people would miss a very basic timeline error? I guess its possible, but these people are all pretty smart. I think they had Rush say that for this very reason to give people something to talk about and to keep watching so they could find out what the real answer is.

Just my take on it.

- CB
          Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
          Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

1. There is NOTHING saying they there aren't any puddle jumpers or jumper like ships. We're only 6 episodes into the series. And most of the ship is either unexplored, or unaccessable.

2. There is NOTHING saying that the puddle Jumper we saw at the beginning of Rising was controlled by gene technology. It could have just have easily had a manual control system.

3. The ancients could have CHOSEN not to use genetic coding on the Destiny's controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil Brax View Post
              Isn't Atlantis a Space Ship with Space Ships inside it? hehe

Rush specifically said that the Desinty pre-dates the ATA gene. I've posted this in multiple threads, but I don't think the Destiny was after Atlantis. Rush said "Hundreds of Thousands" of years old and that could mean anything. My father might say "I've been out of High School for years" which infact means decades.

I think some people might be taking what Rush said a little too literally. Everything we have seen indicates the Destiny is much older then Atlantis.

We know for a fact the ATA gene was in place prior to Atlantis leaving earth, because the Earth control chair required the gene to operate. Rush clearly said that the Destiny predated that gene technology. You could say that "The Writers messed up" but somehow I doubt that is the case. Probably, Rush said "Hundreds of Thousands" which could mean millions. Last time I checked 'Hundreds of Thousands' are still a measurement 'inside' of millions. hehe.

Also, since when does anyone say exactly what they mean and everyone understands them perfectly. When was the last time you heard someone speak exactly what they meant all the time. Plus, Rush JUST got to Destiny at the time. He might not have yet known exactly how old it was.

Anyway, anything is possible. The writers COULD have made a mistake, but in the premier, which every writer probably looked over that script, you think 10+ different people would miss a very basic timeline error? I guess its possible, but these people are all pretty smart. I think they had Rush say that for this very reason to give people something to talk about and to keep watching so they could find out what the real answer is.

Just my take on it.

- CB
              Another evidence is the Destiny's path. I have this theory that the Destiny passed Pegasus Galaxy so I think the Destiny launched from the Milky Way to the many galaxies terraforming and building gate network. After a million years the Ancients come to Atlantis. It explains why they were surprised by the wraith in Pegasus galaxy and got their ass handed to them.
              Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Suddenly had a thought, the armor/space suit used by Young was the same as the one evil Asgard's use. So it is probably Ancient tech. The Asgards have a giant jumper like ship so its probably ancient as well. So isn't it possible there is an older version of the jumpers available then.
                Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Originally posted by ronin36 View Post
                  1. There is NOTHING saying they there aren't any puddle jumpers or jumper like ships. We're only 6 episodes into the series. And most of the ship is either unexplored, or unaccessable.

2. There is NOTHING saying that the puddle Jumper we saw at the beginning of Rising was controlled by gene technology. It could have just have easily had a manual control system.

3. The ancients could have CHOSEN not to use genetic coding on the Destiny's controls.
                  All Good points, but I would like to address them:

1. Yes, this is true. They might find Jumpers or other similar ships at some point. I don't think they will, but they could!

2. There was no proof no, but we know for a fact the Outpost that Atlantis was docked with on earth did use the Gene. It was proven in Rising for Atlantis. You're right though, there is no direct proof just guessing.

3. True, they could have but why would they send out their most advanced ship ever to explore the Galaxy and not put a security system in place if they had it. I password protect my computer even though I live with my wife and she knows the password. I also program security into all my web scripts, layers upon layers, to prevent people who might one day try and access them in a way I didn't design them for.

If they had the technology, why wouldn't they use it on a ship with a Grand Design as important as the Destiny? But you're right, they could have chosen not to do it.

That's the thing about Young SciFi Shows. There is very little proof of anything. Star Trek didn't really define alot of concepts till later on. The Klingons looked like humans for a long time with no explanation why, even though in DS9 Worf let on there was a reason for the change. (Though we also know they changed the look to make them appear more fierce in the movies.) We didn't know much about First Contact with the Vulcans till Enterprise, etc etc. There is very little distinct proof on ANYTHING in Startrek. Even the Asgard who are one of the most defined races don't have very many specific details on them.

I write SciFi like this into my Online Game as well to give people information to strive and reach for down the line. So you're right, those points could be true, but from the evidence it doesn't really look that way. I could be wrong though; thats the beauty of shows like this is that they let you make up your own mind and promote discussion on the facts.

- CB

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Comment

Another evidence is the Destiny's path. I have this theory that the Destiny passed Pegasus Galaxy so I think the Destiny launched from the Milky Way to the many galaxies terraforming and building gate network. After a million years the Ancients come to Atlantis. It explains why they were surprised by the wraith in Pegasus galaxy and got their ass handed to them.
                    I COMPLETELY agree with this. They indicated that Destiny went to Pegasus first and then continued on. Chances are, whent he Ancients needed somewhere to go after the plague they picked somewhere they knew there would already be gates in place. They show up, upgrade the Gate Network, and setup show.

I think this is a very valid theory, and a great one infact. It makes alot of sense they would go somewhere they already had a network setup. With Destiny being that close, they might have even dialed in to get information from it. That doesn't mean they boarded the ship, but they might have somehow got the information from Destiny about it having seeded Pegasus and then choose to go there.

Great theory!

- CB

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil Brax View Post
                      I COMPLETELY agree with this. They indicated that Destiny went to Pegasus first and then continued on. Chances are, whent he Ancients needed somewhere to go after the plague they picked somewhere they knew there would already be gates in place. They show up, upgrade the Gate Network, and setup show.

I think this is a very valid theory, and a great one infact. It makes alot of sense they would go somewhere they already had a network setup. With Destiny being that close, they might have even dialed in to get information from it. That doesn't mean they boarded the ship, but they might have somehow got the information from Destiny about it having seeded Pegasus and then choose to go there.

Great theory!

- CB
                      Thanks
                      Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Didn't they say the Destiny was launched after other ships that had already seeded the universe, in order to explore the worlds?

Comment

Originally posted by Cammo View Post
                          Didn't they say the Destiny was launched after other ships that had already seeded the universe, in order to explore the worlds?
                          Yes, I believe so.

Comment

Why are there no puddle jumper like ships in Destiny on water and air I can't help but say why are there no puddle jumpers? It would be extremely useful in this situation.

Maybe TPTB just want to make Scott suffer just a little but doncha think?
                            you have to remember that this ship predates the ATA gene which everything in SGA is based around including the jumpers. They had 2 shuttles but one of them either broke off or they jettisoned it. and they have one left but its hooked up to the external hull of the ship.
                            sigpic
                            Click the Pick for my FanFiction.net profile

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                              The time lines in each series seem to deviate from each other, so it seems.
                              No they don't.

it possible that hey only had the ATA tech upgraded after Destiny departed. Now Destiny come around, less than a million years old and doesnt have ATA genes. It wasn't said that it was deliberately made so that ATA wasn't necessary it was said to predate the ATA gene. The continuity is starting to irritate me.[/QUOTE]

Aiyana was 50 million years old in SG-1.
                              Wrong.

The Antarctic research team suspected that the Beta gate (the original Stargate left behind by the Ancients) was 50 million years old. They thought that she could be as old as 50 million years, but your next statement debunks that theory and gives us our answer.

In Atlantis she was the Ancient shown in the Rising, living several million years ago (implies 3-10 million years ago), Atlantis had the ATA gene and so did Poclarush Teonas[...]
                              You're correct. Both the city of Atlantis and the Taonas outpost on Proclarush possess(ed) the ATA-gene technology.

[...]it possible that hey only had the ATA tech upgraded after Destiny departed.
                              Rush debunked that. I'm paraphrasing here, but Rush said, "Destiny predates that technology!", in response to Volker's statement that Destiny's systems may require the ATA gene.

Now Destiny come around, less than a million years old and doesnt have ATA genes.
                              First, I want to point out that when Rush said, "hundreds of thousands of years old", that shouldn't always be taken literally as being a number between 100,000 to 1,000,000. That is a phrase that is used from time to time to mean "a long time" or something 'much more than it really means', and it was probably something he just through out there just to provide something. After all, he did follow, again paraphrasing, "...who knows how old it truly is." That right there just hinted that it could be much older.

I mean, come on. Rush was on the ship for 20 minutes AT most, if that. How could we truly know the age of the ship in that amount of time. He isn't a Rodney McKay who is a hairline away from God and can say, "I've been here for 10 minutes and I can determine that this ship is 55,543,123 years old. Come on now.

It wasn't said that it was deliberately made so that ATA wasn't necessary it was said to predate the ATA gene.
                              Exactly, proving my point even more.

We need more time before we can say anything. JM hinted at more history with the Ancients/Destiny, and definitely more exploration of the ship, so we will find out more, filling in the gaps.

Perhaps (and this is a wild assumption thrown out there), maybe TPTB are retconning (producing a Retroactive Continuity) the history of the Ancients. Maybe they felt a timeline spanning 50+ million years was too much, and they wanted to narrow it down to perhaps 1-3 million years. Again, a wild assumption that perhaps one could argue, although I don't believe it as such at this point. At least until we have more info.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                              and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Why are there no puddle jumper like ships in Destiny on water and air I can't help but say why are there no puddle jumpers? It would be extremely useful in this situation.

Maybe TPTB just want to make Scott suffer just a little but doncha think?
                                puddle jumpers probably;y weren't made yet and it would be make the clock useless.
                                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                                X