Is Telford right about his statement on Earth's actions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Yeah, because any time anyone disagrees with anything, it's anti-Americanism
    It's not our fault that the writers make everything Earth does in the show the result of American action and no one else

But seriously, Telford was right. Whether he was brainwashed or not, his analysis of the situation was spot on; Earth dislodged and destroyed an order that had stood for thousands of years without even once thinking that it would do to the billions of people that lived under it. The Goa'uld may have been monsters, but they provided law, trade, sustenance, and protection. Earth removed all that without bothering to replace it... or making sure the people they freed could provide it for themselves.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post
      Case closed. Unless you too think that you can compare the Goa'uld to all other nations on Earth regardless of the fact that not all of them are ruled by tyrants and most certainly not all of them pose any kind of threat to the U.S where as the Goa'uld clearly were a threat to the whole planet.
      It's a comparison for the sake of argument, obviously I'm not implying that the leaders of every country on Earth are dictatorial creatures.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        It's a comparison for the sake of argument, obviously I'm not implying that the leaders of every country on Earth are dictatorial creatures.
        It has to be dumbest argument on record given the facts and again this board is about Stargate and not about How much I loathe the U.S. There plenty of other boards for that including the ones at MSNBC and CNN
        The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

It has to be dumbest argument on record given the facts and again this board is about Stargate and not about How much I loathe the U.S. There plenty of other boards for that including the ones at MSNBC and CNN
          What does it feel like to argue without a leg to stand on?
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

wobbly, I'd think
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Oh wow! I see well OK granted Earth should have done anything and should have allowed themselves tro be enslaved, wem should have allowed the Nazis and the Japs to do as they wished as well during WWII and thanked the Japs for killing all those sailors at Pearl, hell we should have sent them all our soliders unarmed so they couild kill and torture them at their leisure and then we should have also surrendered to both of those powers and give them all the ammo they needed so all who they deemed undesirable could have also been killed at their leisure, sure my mistake.
              The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

Comment

I liked that SG-1 didn't "and they all lived happily ever after" when the Guaold... goold...guald... (however the *&^% you spell it) were defeated. SG-1's last two seasons hinted at the power vacuum left behind which created the Lucian Alliance, but that story line didn't get enough nearly enough screen time in relation to the Ori storyline. I'm really happy that SGU is addressing the power vacuum issue again, yes it is analogous to an extremely controversial views on current events but it makes the show relevant beyond its entertainment value and I like that alot.

So Telford's argument isn't baseless... but is it right? I can't see how freeing a universe from the grips of evil aliens who impersonated gods is blameworthy conduct which warrants siding with a nefarious organization looking to take advantage of the aftermath. From my perspective Telford is a yellow bellied traitorous coward.

Comment

Oh wow! I see well OK granted Earth should have done anything and should have allowed themselves tro be enslaved, wem should have allowed the Nazis and the Japs to do as they wished as well during WWII and thanked the Japs for killing all those sailors at Pearl, hell we should have sent them all our soliders unarmed so they couild kill and torture them at their leisure and then we should have also surrendered to both of those powers and give them all the ammo they needed so all who they deemed undesirable could have also been killed at their leisure, sure my mistake.
                  So...rather than retract your nonsense kneejerk "OMG THEY HATE AMERICA" falsehood, you're going to both go off on ludicrous hyperbole and Godwin yourself?

Okay then.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

So...rather than retract your nonsense kneejerk "OMG THEY HATE AMERICA" falsehood, you're going to both go off on ludicrous hyperbole and Godwin yourself?

Okay then.
                    Godwin's Law, gotta love it. Must have been a pain in the arse during World War II

Comment

Earth did kinda mess things up.....in the Milky Way and Pegasus galaxies.

Comment

Okay then.
                        Both?

Comment

I just cannot for the life of me understand the argument that we are responsible/evil for our actions in the MW and Pegasus. However you can't group each Galaxy into both arguments as the circumstances were inherently different. In my opinion, in relation to the MW, our planet was directly threatened by the system lords and if we didn't stop them, then they would have slaughtered/enslaved us. Once we protected ourselves by destroying them, we are under NO requirements to use more of our resources to rebuild the many many civilisations that were under their control. That would be like you providing child support to the family of the man who broke into your home to attack your family, yet you managed to kill during a scuffle.

Pegasus is different. We inadvertantly awoke a dangerous race during our exploration, however they were going to wake up anway. Are we responsible for their actions? I am responsible for my actions and my actions only and can't be held liable for the actions of others. The only circumstance where I could be held accountable for the actions of others is if they were under my command or if I had knowledge of what they were likely to do (i.e Hiring a known paedophile as a primary school teacher). I just can't reconcile what we did in Pegasus resulting in us being responsible for the actions of the wraith.
                          Last edited by Phenom; 24 May 2010, 07:18 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                            I just cannot for the life of me understand the argument that we are responsible/evil for our actions in the MW and Pegasus. However you can't group each Galaxy into both arguments as the circumstances were inherently different. In my opinion, in relation to the MW, our planet was directly threatened by the system lords and if we didn't stop them, then they would have slaughtered/enslaved us. Once we protected ourselves by destroying them, we are under NO requirements to use more of our resources to rebuild the many many civilisations that were under their control. That would be like you providing child support to the family of the man who broke into your home to attack your family, yet you managed to kill during a scuffle.

Pegasus is different. We inadvertantly awoke a dangerous race during our exploration, however they were going to wake up anway. Are we responsible for their actions? I am responsible for my actions and my actions only and can't be held liable for the actions of others. The only circumstance where I could be held accountable for the actions of others is if they were under my command or if I had knowledge of what they were likely to do (i.e Hiring a known paedophile as a primary school teacher). I just can't reconcile what we did in Pegasus resulting in us being responsible for the actions of the wraith.
                            Amen!

Comment

Yes, so why do you keep bringing the subject up across multiple threads?

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                                Yes, so why do you keep bringing the subject up across multiple threads?
                                Amen!

Comment

Working...
                                X