The Chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frankr View Post
    How about we trust the scientists to know how to do their own jobs?
    If they said it was a download device; then it's a download device.

-frank
    The thing is Rush thinks its a download device. However he's not sure.

Comment

Maybe it does both download the knowledge into the person, and can be used to control the ship, but it was left in the download all knowledge into the brain mod before the ship was locked. That way when someone takes the plunge and downloads the knowledge, they can unlock the ship before the massive amounts of knowledge kills him/her. this way we have access to the ship but no super human running around

Comment

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
        one thing I don't like is how Rush constantly gives out answers to things and we don't see him figure it out or even a brief explanation as to how he came to a particular conclusion. its just handed to us like 'this is a chair similar to the repository of knowledge device' um ok...?

there was no story or developments that led us through the process of figuring it out. not that I want a long drawn out process or explanation but at least something that would give us some further insight into how the technology fits together / relates to current technology (of the ancients) sort of like in SG1 when we actually see Carter try to figure something. I think something similar would be more fun and engaging than handing us the answer so fast.
        I agree with you all the way on this. But as we have seen the writers put more value on crap things going on on Earth than on destiny itself. They have chosen a wrong name for this show.

Comment

I don't have time right now to read ALL the posts, but...I will.

Anyway, i think it's possible the knowledge being sent to the brain is not the ancient knowledge, but all the knowledge of every planet the Destiny has information on. I mean, think about it. If the ancients thought only they themselves would be on this ship, why put all YOUR information on it...it's not like those people wouldn't know. And I doubt they would put a ship like the Destiny, with all their knowledge, where anyone can get to it. It doesn't seem likely to me. So...yea.

Comment

I think it was pretty clear how Rush came up with the conclusion.... As we saw chair was activated only when someone turned on the panels.

Rush came
            Checked the panels
            It was probably written there what this chair does. I mean panels had some kind of interface to control the chair so Rush made assumption based on what was written in the interface.
            It explained to everyone!

How hard is to figure it out?
            The cake is a lie...

Comment

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
              one thing I don't like is how Rush constantly gives out answers to things and we don't see him figure it out or even a brief explanation as to how he came to a particular conclusion. its just handed to us like 'this is a chair similar to the repository of knowledge device' um ok...?

there was no story or developments that led us through the process of figuring it out. not that I want a long drawn out process or explanation but at least something that would give us some further insight into how the technology fits together / relates to current technology (of the ancients) sort of like in SG1 when we actually see Carter try to figure something. I think something similar would be more fun and engaging than handing us the answer so fast.
              Uh... that's the point. This is how everyone on the ship feels as well. The point is, Rush is constantly saying stuff, and no one knows how he does it or if he's telling the truth. Now let's think about this for a moment. Rush says that the chair is like the repository. Ok. Why? Why would the Ancients make an early repository (the later one was supposed to how their legacy) on a ship? Think about it.

And remember, Rush first said that it was a neural interface. Interface meaning that it connects to something. To what? the ship's navigational systems, thats what. Now, keep in mind, Rush doesn't want to leave the ship. So it would make sense that he wouldn't tell them that the chair could literalloy turn the ship around. And also consider this. Why would the Ancients make a chair to give the repository info. What info would they have in it?

It's my belief that the chair is actually an early version of the Ancient control chair, and that it doesn't download info into the user's head. Rush didn't want to let them know what it would actually do, even though controlling it would no doubt require tremendous will power. Also, why would TPTB write in a repository that looks like an Ancient control chair?
              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

i agree the room they found looks like the bridge of the ship and the room they were working in before was the engine room i have no idea why they would put a repository on a ship that they them selves created it makes no since at all
                Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eonflux View Post
                  I agree with you all the way on this. But as we have seen the writers put more value on crap things going on on Earth than on destiny itself. They have chosen a wrong name for this show.
                  I think that's supposed to be part of Rush's character. He has a basic idea of what a device does and spins it, making it look like has all the answers and at the same time, he's able to manipulate people into doing what he needs. I don't think he actually know for certain with anything he seems to be encyclopedic on, he just acts that way until he figures out what a device/technology/concept really is, until then he's just manipulating

Comment

I think that whoever gets in that chair will be in control that's why it was very silly for Young to tell Rush to just go ahead and do it.

What if he did and then he has complete control of the ship? You don't trust the dude as it is and now he's in control.

Wow!

Comment

I think that the crazy bald marine (forget his name) will commit the "suicide" we see by deciding that he can't live this way anymore, use the chair, discover something that helps and then die.

I thought it was an ancient control chair too, btw.

Comment

I do think that Rush is going to sit in the chair...

Possible spoilers for "Human"

[SPOILERS][SPOILERS]
                        Spoiler:
                        In the episode, Rush risks his life in a dangerous experiment involving the ship’s computer, and flashes back to the time when he was first recruited into the Stargate program.[/SPOILERS

Comment

The Repository was meant to preserve the Ancient's legacy for other races to find so it had all the knowledge of the Ancients in it and it was designed to be used by humans. However, the chair was designed to be used by Ancients so there would be no reason to put the Ancient database in it. Whoever uses the chair will just have a jumble of information that they can't understand or use.

Comment

I don't think it's a control chair. I'm throwing my lot in with the people who think it's a repository of knowledge. It makes sense for the ancients to do something like that. Also, there were restraints to hold someone in place. A control chair wouldn't have that I don't think. I would think the ancients would have perfected neural interfaces before using something like a control chair. Why use something that would have to restrain you to control the ship?

For those of you who think Rush is lying about what it is, the main reason I don't think he is is because it doesn't make sense from his standpoint. Which is going to make it more likely that someone will sit in the chair? If he had said it was a control chair then Young would have been far more likely to let someone sit in it. I just think there is something else that it does that Rush isn't saying and that's why he won't sit in it. Maybe there is a third purpose for it. My first thought was this was an ancient interrogation room and torture chamber. haha

Comment

This chair is definitely going to cause an amazing episode later on. I hope.

Comment

Did the Ancients expect other races to go on the ship, possibly whichever race inherited their knowledge, since they left references to the Destiny in Atlantis? If so, then most likely it is a repository of knowledge. If not, and the Destiny was meant to be used only by Ancients, then it most likely is a control chair. Ancients would have no need of downloading their own knowledge on a scout ship.

Comment

Working...
                                X