The Chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Because its obvious. Almost everything Rush does is for his selfish motives. It becomes interesting when his motives cross with the crew's motives. He has yet to do something or make a sacrifice for the general intesrest of the crew.
    And to me, it's very obvious that's not the case. You've been told that he's selfish and to you therefore he is. Try thinking outside the box to what isn't being told to you.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
      And to me, it's very obvious that's not the case. You've been told that he's selfish and to you therefore he is. Try thinking outside the box to what isn't being told to you.
      I'll think how I well pleased. If he wasn't selfish then he wouldn't have gambled the lives of 80+ people on an unknown location
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Okay, well, the first part of that post made no sense at all but whatever.

Comment

He'll think how he dang well pleases, I believe Jel meant.
          Of course Rush is selfish. It's very difficult for me to believe he's motivated by anything else [apart from a touch of megalomania no doubt induced by the woman in his picture]. He has nothing else in his life but the project. He wants to be the one to unlock the secrets of the Destiny, so... He got them stranded there, he created a reason to stop the gate-in-sun dialing, he stayed behind when the ship was flying into a star because he believed this might be part of the ship's normal functioning, he won't get into the chair because he wants to survive with his precious Destiny, he created the fake planetary survey info to get someone [not him] into the chair... As long as he gets what he wants, everyone else can die. He's selfish.

Speaking of obvious... Cap'n Obvious, I'm thinking very much along your lines in all respects, except I'd replace Chloe with Greer. There's a part of me that would love to see an Ancient Jack rehash in Ancient Greer. If the chair is a proto-control chair, then Scott's the most, ahem, obvious choice to pilot it. But what if a person with a specific focus [enviromnental systems, sensors, propulsion, weapons, etc.] has to use the chair for fine operations? Sure, Carsclone flew Atlantis and fired the weapons, but what if you need a pilot for the finesse flying, a scientist to work the sensors to look for something specific, etc. It certainly would use the 'ensemble' cast. Probably not, I can see loopholes in that theory, but I thought it was an interesting one nonetheless. The chair could easily turn [some] of the wrong people into the right people.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            He'll think how he dang well pleases, I believe Jel meant.
            Of course Rush is selfish. It's very difficult for me to believe he's motivated by anything else [apart from a touch of megalomania no doubt induced by the woman in his picture]. He has nothing else in his life but the project. He wants to be the one to unlock the secrets of the Destiny, so... He got them stranded there, he created a reason to stop the gate-in-sun dialing, he stayed behind when the ship was flying into a star because he believed this might be part of the ship's normal functioning, he won't get into the chair because he wants to survive with his precious Destiny, he created the fake planetary survey info to get someone [not him] into the chair... As long as he gets what he wants, everyone else can die. He's selfish.
            Sobs over a photo of himself and a woman and you get megalomania from that? Ooookay.

Comment

Yes.
              He believes himself to be the authority on what everyone should do on the ship, and this God complex is what he's using to further his ends, ends no doubt influenced by and in a futile effort to make up for some traumatic lack of power he experienced with the woman in the picture. Considering the relationships the other people on the ship had/are having, I doubt his is bright and rosy.
              Do try and refute the other examples I listed re: Rush being selfish.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                Yes.
                He believes himself to be the authority on what everyone should do on the ship, and this God complex is what he's using to further his ends, ends no doubt influenced by and in a futile effort to make up for some traumatic lack of power he experienced with the woman in the picture. Considering the relationships the other people on the ship had/are having, I doubt his is bright and rosy.
                Do try and refute the other examples I listed re: Rush being selfish.
                Ah, that's just funny.

Comment

So... Back to the chair...
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Could be just a waste disposal unit.

Rush is afraid sit on the throne (since only he has noticed the control activation handle), in fear of the ancients waste control A.I. err.. flush, woosh...

He could be on a shuttle unknown disappearing off into the distance without any explaination at the end of the episode =) j/k ing.

Recall these are "primitive" ancients, or not the advanced as the those ones that left the geiger-like-headgrabber- knowledge-dumper interface.

I'm guessing more like the present crew so less possiblity of mind blowout.Plus it's been done before.

Really seems like it could be more likely a command and control interface throne.

Keys to the castle or systems ? or a intergalactic toilet, Just something inbetween =)

Comment

It possibly could be just a medical chair of some sort.
                      sigpic

Comment

So, who do you think is that person in the chair? (time 0:23):
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ2Rr...eature=related
                        Who wears watch? Dr. Rush?

They are coming...Smurfs!

Comment

Jeremy Franklin

http://stargate.mgm.com/assets//Stil...103-0108xe.jpg

spoiler for size

Last edited by Bagpuss; 28 November 2009, 09:02 AM.
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Well he is a risk taker and shot once ?

Wasn't he the one the the bald angry guy bumped into in the hallway ?

during his" interview" said .

Comment

I am a little surprised Rush wouldn't want to get in the chair, but I understand why not. If someone else gets in the chair and it isn't lethal Rush loses his priority of importance on the ship. In fact, he would become extremely redundant.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I'll think how I well pleased. If he wasn't selfish then he wouldn't have gambled the lives of 80+ people on an unknown location
                                He's def selfish, but I don't think he's as selfish as the writers want us to believe, at least, they haven't been able to prove that YET. Having said that, I don't think Rush cares if HE lives or dies, if he had to choose his life vs. the existence of the ship, he'd choose the ship.

If someone else gets in the chair and it isn't lethal Rush loses his priority of importance on the ship. In fact, he would become extremely redundant.
                                Not necessarily. Even if sitting in the chair isn't lethal, there's a huge chance that whatever knowledge the chair gives (if it does give knowledge) would need translating. If the person who sits in the chair doesn't know Ancient (which apparently Rush is the most proficient at), then Rush would still be needed, whereas, if he were to sit in the chair, perhaps the knowledge wouldn't help because nobody would be able to translate, Rush's mind would be flooded with the knowledge, and in theory nobody would be proficient enough to translate it. As THE translator, I still think Rush would be immensely important.

Comment

Working...
                                X